Panama Canal Cruise

diligaf51

Are you asking about the actual transit itself? We have done six full transits of the Panama Canal, and there are interesting sights on both sides. We find ourselves on an upper deck moving from one side of the ship to the other. And if there is no rain the helicopter pad may also be opened for a forward view of how the locks operate.

Oh... the original post and some of the responses are real keepers! They maybe should make this one a sticky!! LOL

Now to answer the question, I personally like the response of moving around, that way you will see everything that should be seen. However to answer your question... if I were going to select a side of the ship as a default, I would choose the port side in the direction you are going. Some highlights... upon entering the breakwater and passing under the new Atlantic Bridge, you will see the new locks of Agua Clara, after clearing Gatun Locks (assuming you are going through the legacy locks) you will be on the correct side of the ship to see on coming traffic, Gamboa and the Chagres River joins the Canal, through Culebra Cut and Gold Hill (the Continental Divide), through the Pacific Locks and a great view of Panama City. This is not to mean the starboard side is a barren waste land... lots of things to see there as well. Don't go through the Canal only seeing half of it;), be where you can see everything.

Personally, I’d not worry about the SR ‘position’ since it’s only one, I’d do all the ‘positions’ possible.......

This thread is going to be such fun!!!

Now that I got that out of my system (not really!).....on one of our Transit cruises, we’d stepped down to the main desk on deck 5 to take care of an issue and stopped at the bar there (dont’ worry, it was well after breakfast). We were entering a Lock, and we were right next to the lock gates. We could see the big old (1908?) bolts holding the huge blocks together. Just inches away. Beautiful. As we stopped in the lock, we could see the water gushing in from the sides, filling the lock and we moved slowly up the side. Fantastic.

So you never know what you’ll see.

Den