Router/Wifi extender

there is a really interesting thread about it

New issues are rare on CC - most things have been discussed in threads over the years.

I suspect this sharing issue is a somewhat recent thing since before O3B became available, splitting an internet package led to such poor performance few ever did it.

Asking a generic question may not yield the right answer - you should ask the specific scenario outlined in this thread - using a router/extender to share a one device package. Also, the answer may depend on who you ask. Some upper level person who doesn't understand the specifics may give a different answer than the head IT person.

I’ll ask them to define the definition of “device”.

I will also ask is it permitted to hook up a router so that multiple cell phones/computers can share the same connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

Well after googling it seems I have found this, now remember this isn't direct from RCi website it is from another post copying it.

It seems what I plan to do is actually against the rules, however it also seems many other people are breaking the rules as it clearly states you cant allow someone who hasn't paid for the service to access the service through their device or yours, so actually letting someone else use your log in on their device is breaking the rules.

What it doesn't say is specifically that I can connect 3 of my devices through the router, only that I cant allow anyone else to connect, so I guess it now comes down to who owns the device

what do you think ?

Acceptable Use and Conduct

You hereby agree to comply with Cruise Line's acceptable use policy ("Acceptable Use Policy"), as described below. You will not use the Service to (or assist another person to):

8. Allow another person who has not paid for the Service to access or use the Service on his computer or device through your computer or device

See... there you go. I believe if it’s only you using the connection, although on say a cell phone and computer/pad, it’s permissible. Sharing the connection with others is prohibited.

Pay for the connection.

A better analogy would be water service at a house for which you only pay by the pressure (download speed) in the pipe. You are not charged based on the amount of water coming out nor what you do with the water once it comes out of the pipe. You can let the water spill on the floor (watch videos on one device endlessly), you can switch out different buckets under the end of the pipe (switch between devices on a one device plan), or you can install a diverter at the end of the pipe (router/repeater) so different buckets are filled at the same time. The amount of water coming out of the pipe is fixed based on the pressure (and size of pipe) - you can't get any more water out of it no matter what you do at the end of the pipe nor does the water company care (within reason) what you do with the water.

If you live in California you are charged for the amount of water coming out of the pipe, its a consumption model because of drought. Although some people are still on flat rates, flat rate pays more per lot size.

There's one way to test this. Someone do this and do speed test on multiple devices simultaneously. If both devices can achieve a combined speed of greater than 5 Mbps, then the router is a valid option. If not, then the router is only acting as one device and that code is throttled.

There's one way to test this. Someone do this and do speed test on multiple devices simultaneously. If both devices can achieve a combined speed of greater than 5 Mbps, then the router is a valid option. If not, then the router is only acting as one device and that code is throttled.

I Will certainly do this on the cruise and report back, I am also going to have a chat with the VOOM rep and see what they think of it, I am sure they will have come across this before.

I understood it the way you did. But I guess it’s different to those always looking to game the system for something other than intended purpose.

Re-reading what was original written I see what they were saying. Each couple buying a one device package...

That is ok...as long as only one device (cell phone, tablet) is logged in at a time that is technically ok. The problem is when you use a router to have a cell phone AND a tablet on at the same time.

I don't buy that the Router throttles down the data, I am still inclined to believe that both devices would use the full amount provided by VOOM.

Even if this option is allowed by RCL, it seems somewhat limited due to the range of the router. While you are in your room, it would be nice to have multiple devices connected at once, but how often are you in your room? When you do this, do you take your router with you if you are spending time in other areas of the ship, or use it just in your room and the surrounding area?

I Will certainly do this on the cruise and report back, I am also going to have a chat with the VOOM rep and see what they think of it, I am sure they will have come across this before.

Which ship would you be testing this on?

I've dealt with the Voom rep, and they are borderline useless. I would take what they say with a serious grain of salt. I had an issue on the Grandeur where I was loosing connection to the wifi at an infuriating rate. His ONLY remedy was "I can give you a refund". I was like "you're the IT Manager, but you're not offering me any solution ITwise to this issue." At first, he said "well, some of your settings maybe causing you to disconnect". And when i asked him what settings, he evaded the answer. When he asked if i shared the password, I told him I was solo and had no one to share it with. He at first gave me a new login code and when that new one started doing the same thing, he gave me a 2nd one and told me not to share them between the devices. This was how I was able to score two devices for myself because I was using one device between a PC and a phone. Two different login codes.

Both my PC and phones were being disconnected randomly (like in miduse).

Edited by Rogueperson

Re-reading what was original written I see what they were saying. Each couple buying a one device package...

That is ok...as long as only one device (cell phone, tablet) is logged in at a time that is technically ok. The problem is when you use a router to have a cell phone AND a tablet on at the same time.

I don't buy that the Router throttles down the data, I am still inclined to believe that both devices would use the full amount provided by VOOM.

The was the point, according to the rules sharing the log on for one device with your partner or anyone else is technically also against the rules, even though a lot do it.

This has already been done - speed and performance on individual devices goes down when shared across a router, with numbers to support that.

That is ok...as long as only one device (cell phone, tablet) is logged in at a time that is technically ok.

According to that rule, it's not OK. When one person buys a one device package and then shares their code with the other person in the cabin to use on their device, they are breaking the rules.

Edited by Biker19

Even if this option is allowed by RCL, it seems somewhat limited due to the range of the router. While you are in your room, it would be nice to have multiple devices connected at once, but how often are you in your room? When you do this, do you take your router with you if you are spending time in other areas of the ship, or use it just in your room and the surrounding area?

No The router I use plugs into the mains, I have 2 young kids one who is only 2 years old so we would be back in the cabin early evening and it would allow me to use my laptop while the 7 year old has half an hour on the iPad before bed. Its not the end of the world if it doesn't work, I will just log off my computer for a while while she does.

When you do this, do you take your router with you if you are spending time in other areas of the ship, or use it just in your room and the surrounding area?

Some have done some innovative things to get around the distance limit - like a mesh set up, where multiple people set up a mesh network on the ship.

This has already been done - speed and performance on individual devices goes down when shared across a router, with numbers to support that.

I didn't see those results, so i was hoping to see it here. You have a link by chance?

No The router I use plugs into the mains, I have 2 young kids one who is only 2 years old so we would be back in the cabin early evening and it would allow me to use my laptop while the 7 year old has half an hour on the iPad before bed.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you have a Win 10 laptop you don't even need a router - Win 10 has WiFi sharing built in (you can test it at home before you leave). Also, realize that on a non-O3B ship, you are splitting an already sucky connection.