Router/Wifi extender

See... there you go. I believe if it’s only you using the connection, although on say a cell phone and computer/pad, it’s permissible. Sharing the connection with others is prohibited.

Pay for the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have had our disagreements on this thread, so I assure you I am not being flippant here or argumentative

looking at the rules then, would you say that using a router with 2 devices connected to it , providing they are mine for example my phone and laptop and providing its only me using it , is not going against these rules?

Its the sharing with another persons device that breaks them, as thats how I now read it?

Even if this option is allowed by RCL, it seems somewhat limited due to the range of the router. While you are in your room, it would be nice to have multiple devices connected at once, but how often are you in your room? When you do this, do you take your router with you if you are spending time in other areas of the ship, or use it just in your room and the surrounding area?

I think they should start allowing big Wi-Fi repeaters outside your balconies so you can use devices ship wide. Lol

No The router I use plugs into the mains, I have 2 young kids one who is only 2 years old so we would be back in the cabin early evening and it would allow me to use my laptop while the 7 year old has half an hour on the iPad before bed. Its not the end of the world if it doesn't work, I will just log off my computer for a while while she does.

Just get two Stream plans?

Some have done some innovative things to get around the distance limit - like a mesh set up, where multiple people set up a mesh network on the ship.

That is an interesting option. Since it looked like the discussion was around one family setting it up, I didn't think about that set-up.

We have had our disagreements on this thread, so I assure you I am not being flippant here or argumentative

looking at the rules then, would you say that using a router with 2 devices connected to it , providing they are mine for example my phone and laptop and providing its only me using it , is not going against these rules?

Its the sharing with another persons device that breaks them, as thats how I now read it?

I would say as you stated, it would be permitted, if it was only you using the device(s). Like on Cell while working on computer/pad.

It’s about revenue.

It’s certainly been interesting and I have learned a few things. What I have found the most interesting is that people sharing a one device package between them logging in and logging out is breaking the rules also yet seems condoned and even actively encouraged on here. But me breaking the exact same rule albeit in a different way makes me a thief.

I guess if I let any of my family members use the router connection then I am breaking the rules but I can live with that on my conscience.

It’s certainly been interesting and I have learned a few things. What I have found the most interesting is that people sharing a one device package between them logging in and logging out is breaking the rules also yet seems condoned and even actively encouraged on here. But me breaking the exact same rule albeit in a different way makes me a thief.

I guess if I let any of my family members use the router connection then I am breaking the rules but I can live with that on my conscience.

Wait a minute... who condones this? They same people wanting to hook up a router??

Both are circumventing the system. I am not sure most people do this anyway. We don’t.

Why not just pay for the additional devices?

I am fascinated by the fact that there are now seven pages of discussion about an issue that I did not know even existed. :D

It really doesn't - the number of folks who might try this on a sailing is probably minuscule, though probably growing.

It’s about revenue.

Not that I want to give RCI any ideas, but there's a simple solution to this to increase revenue - tie the each device package to a MAC address - no sharing at all (though a router could still work around this).

The rule is you can use as many devices as you want. But one at a time. You can use their computers, then log off and use your phone, then log off and use your laptop (or any body else's). Last year I would get two 24 hour periods and so would my wife. I would use my free internet for the second and third days. Then buy the surf package for the rest of the cruise (on my wife's account). We would get the internet for day 2 though day 7. For a total of about $8.

Last year we used a "bridge" Bought on Amazon for about $30. It worked fine most of the time but occasionally dropped the signal. It was about the size of a pack of cigarettes. So we could carry it around all over the ship. Our cell phones connected to the bridge via blue tooth.

My wife and I could both use the connection at the same time.

Don't need to use it anymore.

here are the rules. it allows one device attached at a time and it doesnt matter if its 2 devices of your own or you have one device and your child has one device. ONLY 1 device at a time

Can I switch between devices while using a Voom package?

Yes, you may use as many devices as you like, but whichever plan you purchase will limit you to the number of devices that may be connected at the same time.

To change devices, first log off the first device by typing logoff.com into your web browser. This will log your first device out. Afterwards, log back in with the other device. You can do this as many times as necessary.

Can I log off the first device from a second device? Like if a phone runs out of battery or is off, can I use my laptop to log the phone off so the laptop can use the internet?

I would imagine that if you have that unusual circumstance and you tell someone at guest services, they would allow that one time exception

Can I log off the first device from a second device? Like if a phone runs out of battery or is off, can I use my laptop to log the phone off so the laptop can use the internet?

Depends on the ship. Some ships allow someone to log in and it will automatically kick another person off. Other ships won't do that, so in that case you would have to wait until the timeout expires, which could be a couple of hours. And no, I cannot say which ship does it which way.

Depends on the ship. Some ships allow someone to log in and it will automatically kick another person off. Other ships won't do that, so in that case you would have to wait until the timeout expires, which could be a couple of hours. And no, I cannot say which ship does it which way.

I stand corrected. this makes more sense

Thanks for the replies!

I used the phone and a laptop as an example, but plan to share my log in with a Roku, which I am not sure if you can log off. It has a hotel type of log in method but that's all I've read about and haven't used that method yet.

I'll give it a try anyway by using the Roku at night before going to sleep, so I won't need the internet after that. I'll report back here with the results. I'll be on the Harmony 9/15.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if you have a Win 10 laptop you don't even need a router - Win 10 has WiFi sharing built in (you can test it at home before you leave). Also, realize that on a non-O3B ship, you are splitting an already sucky connection.

Biker, where do I find this feature on my laptop with Win 10?