Miami Florida Restaurant Experiences?

luvscruising2007

1 I have seen many post that they make restaurant reservations well in advance. Is it really necessary or can you just show up? We live in an area where most restaurants do not even take reservations unless you have a large party. We are looking at 94th Aero Squadron in December.

2 If you purchase a bottle of wine and don't finish it are you permitted to take it with you? Thinking we would only drink one glass and finish at the hotel.

Thank you for any responses.

I believe reservations will depend on the place you choose. Suggest you then call them in advance regarding necessity of reservations. Others can answer your question about local policy of a "doggy bag" for wine.

Thanks for your response. A call is a good idea.

They could even answer the wine question.

A restaurant, unless it has an attached wine/liquor store (there is at least one such in Ft Lauderdale I believe) is only licensed to provide table service not package sales. This is not to say that a generous tip wouldn't result in your wine being portioned into take-out cups. But allowing you to walk out with a wine bottle or a wine bottle-shaped bag would put the restaurant owner in serious jeopardy.

(If I were in an inquisitive mood tonite I would be googling whether this practice is legal in the OP's home state of Maryland. Which is the only reason I would think it would occur to them to ask such a question. But it certainly is not legal anywhere in Florida that I know of).

A restaurant, unless it has an attached wine/liquor store (there is at least one such in Ft Lauderdale I believe) is only licensed to provide table service not package sales. This is not to say that a generous tip wouldn't result in your wine being portioned into take-out cups. But allowing you to walk out with a wine bottle or a wine bottle-shaped bag would put the restaurant owner in serious jeopardy.

This is why I asked because I thought there might be laws that prevented it.

(If I were in an inquisitive mood tonite I would be googling whether this practice is legal in the OP's home state of Maryland. Which is the only reason I would think it would occur to them to ask such a question. But it certainly is not legal anywhere in Florida that I know of).

The other reason I asked is that I would be driving in an unfamiliar area and more than one glass of wine would not be wise. So I thought we could take it back to the hotel to finish. I think I will just forego the wine at the restaurant and get a bottle for the hotel to finish the night. You know, getting into cruise mode.

My understanding is that you are only allowed to drink the wine on premise.

There are some restaurants that sell wine for purchase from a separate area in the restaurant (like a little store area) but what you don't drink cannot be taken off premise from the actual restaurant.

Yes best to check with the restaurant about whether or not reservations are necessary. Things such as day of week, time of year, time of day and even table size all have a role in this so be specific on all of this when you call.

By the way a tip would not influence whether or not one could take wine off site if illegal. I know of states and locals where one would lose their license if the law was broken. Also talk about responsibility. Someone takes it with them and starts driving and drinking and then an accident. I see the restaurant getting in a lot of trouble on that one.

Keith

It actually is legal in the state of Florida for you to take your unfinished wine home from a restaurant as long as

a) it was purchased in a restaurant where you had a meal and they are licensed to sell liquor

b) the bottle of wine is resealed and put in a bag. Technically they are supposed to staple the bag closed.

C) you must have the receipt of both the meal and wine with you.

Below is actually the florida statute that allows this. We do have strict open container laws here but this does get around that for taking wine home. I’ve done it on more than one occasion.

Under Florida statute 564.09, patrons of a restaurant are allowed to leave the premises with "one unsealed bottle of wine for consumption off the premises," provided certain criteria are met. The wine bottle must be:

• Consumed with a full course meal
  • Resealed by the licensee or one of its employees
  • Secured in a bag or container
  • Wrapped in a way that shows it was previously opened
  • Attached to a dated receipt indicating the full course meal
  • Transported in a locked vehicle compartment, such as a trunk, or behind the seat furthest from the driver, if there is no trunk

Thanks, Carolyn, for the info.

Unfortunately, I did call the restaurant and they said absolutley not. Not a big deal so will just let it go.

Sorry to hear that. It’s always up to each restaurant whether or not they are willing to do it and some just aren’t.

Of course I usually end up finishing the wine so don’t have to worry about it!

Hope you enjoy your meal there.

Restaurants can do package sales with a standard on-premise license in Florida, FYI. Providing it does not violate a local ordinance. Unopened, only. All of the common licenses in Florida allow for package sales/unopened.

Where are you staying? Near the airport I presume that is why you are looking at 94th Aero for dinner.

You just never know when a place will be very busy and when it won't. There are some areas on weekends or certain times of the year that you should always make a reservation, such as Miami Beach, Coral Gables or Brickell area.

If the restaurant takes reservations just make one. There is no harm in doing it, and you can always cancel a day before or even the day of. 94th can get busy sometimes, so I would make one.