Same Day Flight - Should I Be Worried?

NboroGirl

I am booked on a cruise in February which leaves Fort Lauderdale at 5:00 p.m. We are using DH's frequent flyer miles for the flights from/back to Boston. For the last three years, we have always flown to FL in February for vacation and thus far have not had any weather problems. However, since this year we are taking a cruise, I am a little worried because I do NOT want to miss the boat, especially since it is only a 5-day cruise.

My plan was to fly the afternoon or evening before the cruise and stay overnight in a hotel. This way the kids would not miss any school. The only frequent-flyer mile flight available to us the day before was a 6:00 a.m. flight, arriving in Ft. Lauderdale around 11:15 a.m. This meant the kids would miss the whole day of school.

My only other option was to book a same-day flight, also leaving at 6:00 a.m. and arriving at 11:15, with a stop-over at Dulles, which is what I ended up doing. I bought travel insurance from RCCL just to be on the safe side, but I am starting to worry that there will be a weather delay, or United will be late for some other reason, and we'll be sweating bullets.

Do you think a 6:00 a.m. arriving at 11:15 a.m. flight from Boston in February is too risky? My only other cruises have been in the summer - one on Soverign of the Seas in which the cruise line arranged our travel and we arrived in Miama around 1:30 p.m., and the other we did our own travel but arrived the day before.

I am booked on a cruise in February which leaves Fort Lauderdale at 5:00 p.m. We are using DH's frequent flyer miles for the flights from/back to Boston. For the last three years, we have always flown to FL in February for vacation and thus far have not had any weather problems. However, since this year we are taking a cruise, I am a little worried because I do NOT want to miss the boat, especially since it is only a 5-day cruise.

My plan was to fly the afternoon or evening before the cruise and stay overnight in a hotel. This way the kids would not miss any school. The only frequent-flyer mile flight available to us the day before was a 6:00 a.m. flight, arriving in Ft. Lauderdale around 11:15 a.m. This meant the kids would miss the whole day of school.

My only other option was to book a same-day flight, also leaving at 6:00 a.m. and arriving at 11:15, with a stop-over at Dulles, which is what I ended up doing. I bought travel insurance from RCCL just to be on the safe side, but I am starting to worry that there will be a weather delay, or United will be late for some other reason, and we'll be sweating bullets.

Do you think a 6:00 a.m. arriving at 11:15 a.m. flight from Boston in February is too risky? My only other cruises have been in the summer - one on Soverign of the Seas in which the cruise line arranged our travel and we arrived in Miama around 1:30 p.m., and the other we did our own travel but arrived the day before.

I guess you'd have to say it is somewhat risky, but in all probability, it will be fine. You are leaving yourself some wiggle room as far as getting another flight and still making it to the ship on time. I know everyone says to take a flight the day before, and we usually do. But it isn't always possible. We've flown to FL many times in winter and have had only minor delays. Weather isn't the onlly thing that can delay a flight of course. If however, I saw a snowstorm coming for that day, I'd try to make changes at the last minute.

I just booked a cruise with me flying in the same day into Miami, I arrive at 12:30 - and I'm not worried. I've always done it that way - in this case it's my only option as I don't finish the bar exam until the day before the cruise. It's stressful and a little risky but it has always gone fine for me in the past. Just be prepared with RCI's day of cruise phone numbers programmed into your phone. Also keep flight schedules with you showing other possible flights in case something happens to yours, even if they are on other airlines, and keep the numbers of those airlines programmed into your phone.

I was wondering too how many people actually fly in the same day as their cruise. This is my first cruise and was worried about coming in the same day, but because of all the people we are cruising with, this is our only option.

How many folks have actually missed the boat?! :p

First two cruises, we flew in same day - both were in January and it was cold, snowy and took 45 minutes to depart (de-ice) the plane. For some reason this didn't really panic me.

Last cruise, we were in the port city spending some time before the cruise and I must say, the preference of not having to rush, and arriving relaxed and ready to cruise was wonderful.

If I can swing it, I'll go a day early (or more) every time. I realize logistics may not always allow this. I have not personally heard of anyone missing the boat though I'm sure it happens. I have heard of people who took the precaution of going down early and then had to use that day to make new connections etc to get to the ship, because they did experience flight and weather delays. Missing the ship and having to re-jig your flights are probably a small occurence, so just try to leave as early as you can on the day of departure and you'll likely be just fine.

For our first cruise we left home (Washington DC) at about 8 AM departure day. It didn't really worry me and everything was fine. When we cruise in April, we're planning to go a day early and I really think I'll like it better.

I too am flying out of Boston, on Feb 3 for a Feb 4th cruise I would NEVER book a same day flight out of Boston in winter, my heart could not take the stress.

As it is I will be hoping to have enough time to still get there if there IS a weather delay, you know living here how things can go at Logan in winter, and sometimes it takes days to get out if there is a real storm.

Of course it is just the luck of the draw whether you get good weather or bad, I hope for your sake you have good.

We ALWAYS try to go the day ahead. In the winter because of the Snow issue. Any other time, because it's so nice to be RELAXED and already BE there when they start to board the ship at 11:30. We go have a nice lunch, check out the ship and get some relaxing sunshine and a Pina Colada up on top deck and watch as people come aboard.

I have never had any problems with flying the day of a cruise or the day before a cruise. With that being said, last March we flew a day ahead, thank god we did, the day we were sailing, Boston had a snow storm and Logan was closed for most of the day. If we hadn't flown the day before, we would have missed the ship and our wonderful cruise.

Chances are everything will be fine, but you just never know, especially in good old New England.

Fly the day before, take the kids out of school for that day. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Problem is not just will you make the ship, but will your luggage. We were sailing the Grand Princess from FLL and flew in the day before from the west coast. We arrived with no problem, but out luggage didn't. It missed the connection in Chicago, even though the plane we got off and the one we boarded were next to each other. They advised us the bags would arrive the next morning.

So the next morning I went to the airport to personnally retrieve them. As I was picking them up, there was a young woman holding a formal dress at the claims desk looking for her bags. She had just flown in from Boston and her bags had not arrived. She was advised her bags would arrive on the 8pm flight. She related her problem was she was sailing at 5pm on the same ship we were. Our first port of call was three days later. The only clothes she had for the first three days was her formal dress. :eek:

She was advised her bags would arrive on the 8pm flight. She related her problem was she was sailing at 5pm on the same ship we were. Our first port of call was three days later. The only clothes she had for the first three days was her formal dress. :eek:

At least she looked good those first three days...............:)

I was wondering too how many people actually fly in the same day as their cruise.

My guess is that the majority of cruisers (not including Alaska, Med, etc) fly in the same day as their cruise. Yes it can be nerve wracking flying in from a snow area in the winter but it is done quite frequently.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I feel a little better.

My husband is a member of United's 1K Premium Plus (or whatever) club because of the number of miles he flies with them every year on business. He has his own personal number to call them for help, problems, etc. Since there are more flights from United to Ft. Lauderdale than those that showed up when I made our reservations for free (using frequent flyer miles) tickets, I am hoping that, if it looks like there might be weather problems, we could call United and they would try to get us on another flight the day before. (Of course, I could be dreamin'!)

Keeping my fingers crossed... :cool:

We've flown in the day of the cruise several times before, but try to fly in a day earlier for piece of mind. Although we've never had any delays or lost luggage, two years ago after a massive snow storm hit New England and literally hundreds of passengers missed the ship. We saw people joining the cruise as late as Wednesday! If you have good insurance, you should be ok as far as being out the money spent, but you'd still miss your cruise, which would be a bummer. However, we fly using frequent flyer miles most of the time too, and sometimes you just can't get the flights you want. I actually prefer to fly the same day because of less hassles with getting to a hotel, lugging bags here and there, then another transfer and bag haul to the ship, finding places to eat, etc. It's great to just get an early flight and transfer directly to the ship, but definately a little more risky.

We are leaving on the same day as a Hawaii cruise that embarks at 8pm. I wanted to go a day early to explore Honolulu. Since we are going out of seattle, and the NCL is arranging the flight, I am sure we will not be brought in a day early. Its not the flight, its the connections that worry me-since that always seems to be where things glitch up(like the time we were having a layover in Baltimore right after the captain nearly crashed the plane and everyone on the flight demanded a new flight cause they were all terrified. I was the employee of the most hysterical person, and we waited for hours for the next flight out to NJ.)

I am not even sure what time we are supposed to be at the dock or whatever for an 8pm embarkation-does that mean we have to go at 8 or the ship leaves at 8?? how does that work?

I am not even sure what time we are supposed to be at the dock or whatever for an 8pm embarkation-does that mean we have to go at 8 or the ship leaves at 8?? how does that work?

8pm is when it departs.

Have flown in same day on all of my previous 5 cruises without a problem.All of the cruises have been in January or early March out of Michigan with arrival times betwen 10:00 and 12:30. They were all direct flights though. If you see weather posing a problem a day or 2 before you leave could you try to get on an flight a day earlier.

Another concern with same day flights with layovers is the possibility of losing luggage. Northwest Airlines is notorious for this on flights with layovers. Good luck.

Have flown in same day on all of my previous 5 cruises without a problem.All of the cruises have been in January or early March out of Michigan with arrival times betwen 10:00 and 12:30. They were all direct flights though. If you see weather posing a problem a day or 2 before you leave could you try to get on an flight a day earlier.

Another concern with same day flights with layovers is the possibility of losing luggage. Northwest Airlines is notorious for this on flights with layovers. Good luck.

There is no way I would fly in the same day flying from the Northeast in February. Also, as someone who has cruised many times with my kids, you will find your first day on the ship to be much more enjoyable if you come the day before and so will your children. Much more relaxing to wake up, hop for a few minutes to the pier and get on the ship.

We always fly in the day of the cruise. This year we were going to go into New Orleans a day early to enjoy the city. Well now because of flights we are flying from Michigan to Miami the day of the cruise. WE do what we have to do to travel. Don't stress about it nothing you can do anyway.

Don't stress about it nothing you can do anyway.

I just like leaving leaway for the unexpected. Being retired we have that luxury. Plus, as noted above, it is more leisurely being able to sleep in the morning of departure, get up for a nice breakfast, because we have only a 10 minute taxi ride to get to the port. ;)

At least you will have the insurance should a problem arise.

I think the insurance is a BIG problem. Didn't the OP post that they got FF tickets, but booked cruise line insurance? If I read the post correctly, they may as well have NO insurance for airline related delays.

Cruise line insurance will NOT cover any of the delays, etc. caused by self booked air. Won't cover ANYTHING you book on your own. That is one reason why cruiseline insurance is a VERY bad deal.

It may be too late and too expensive to change, but I would do one of two things. The Northeast has been very lucky so far this year weatherwise, but I expect a "dump" sooner or later.

1. Take the day earlier flight, even if it means taking the kids out of school. So what they miss ONE day? The learning experience they get traveling and experiencing life is ever bit as valuable as "book learning". May cost you some change fees, but at least you will have peace of mind.

2. Buy some independent insurance on insuremytrip.com or a similar site. You will NOT be covered for FF tickets (they are treated as "freebies" by insurance companies) except for the change fee charges. But you would be covered for weather delays, which may involve a VERY expensive trip to the next port. And YOU will be responsible for making the arrangements to the next port, even with the cruise line insurance. Be prepared to pay first and then file the claim to get your money back.

Good luck!!!

If a storm is predicted call the airline and see if they can get you there the night before! I've done it a couple times and they have always been very willing as long as there are seats available. Once when we were cruising out of San Juan they got us to Miami that evening and to San Juan in the AM. We got a hotel on hotwire and had a great time!!

Archived