Room Service

dogboy

We love our morning room service too but learned the embarrassing way while cruising for the first time that it is customary to tip the room service staff when they deliver it to you. We assumed that the pre-payment of the daily "tip" charges included room service as well. In my opinion, I think it should, but I don't mind giving a few extra dollars. It was just really embarrassing to learn by one of the wait staff when they delivered it one morning. So don't make our mistake.;)

Yes continental breakfast is free. But you can pay a $7.95 fee if you want something more substantial. Although...we did that one morning and were charged $12.95. I’m still not sure how that worked and it wasn’t worth dealing with for $5. I figure there was some fine print or other charge I missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We love our morning room service too but learned the embarrassing way while cruising for the first time that it is customary to tip the room service staff when they deliver it to you. We assumed that the pre-payment of the daily "tip" charges included room service as well. In my opinion, I think it should, but I don't mind giving a few extra dollars. It was just really embarrassing to learn by one of the wait staff when they delivered it one morning. So don't make our mistake.;)

So the delivery person called you out for not giving them a tip? Rude and crude. The crew member should have been embarrassed, not you.

So the delivery person called you out for not giving them a tip? Rude and crude. The crew member should have been embarrassed, not you.
Nowhere did they say they were "called out"..... they may have just asked the delivery person in passing who politely educated them that the "tip is not included".......

Thanks for clearing that up. You corrected me on my guess then guessed yourself.
My "guess" was actually a counter statement to your definitive guess....... stating an alternative to putting a lablel on a staff member as rude and unprofessional without knowing any facts .. I prefer to look at the hard working service industry with a glass half full perspective. Edited by esm54687

When they bring you coffee is it just a cup or can you order a pot?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We ordered room service continental breakfast 3x on our recently (just off Breakaway 3 days ago) completed cruise, as we had shore excursions that met up at 7:30 am, and couldn't get everyone up and out to breakfast by then. I ordered coffee each time, thinking they would just bring a cup, but the coffee was delivered in a small silver carafe - enough for 2 cups each. Ordered decaf and regular - both delivered in the carafe each time.

We ordered room service continental breakfast 3x on our recently (just off Breakaway 3 days ago) completed cruise, as we had shore excursions that met up at 7:30 am, and couldn't get everyone up and out to breakfast by then. I ordered coffee each time, thinking they would just bring a cup, but the coffee was delivered in a small silver carafe - enough for 2 cups each. Ordered decaf and regular - both delivered in the carafe each time.[ The delivery was right on schedule each time - circled 6:30 - 7 am time, and breakfast came at 6:30 each time./quote]

When they bring you coffee is it just a cup or can you order a pot?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They bring a pot with cups & the fixings. The card asks the number of people & I always order coffee for 4 because the small pot isn't big enough. We both like a mug size "cup" to start our day! ;p

Good advice. I would think most people would tip, but there is no reason for anyone to feel it is necessary.

Nowhere did they say they were "called out"..... they may have just asked the delivery person in passing who politely educated them that the "tip is not included".......

No, actually the person who delivered our order one morning is the one who said something like, "excuse me, but it's customary to tip the room service attendant". He was polite but yes, I agree, it could be considered rude to say it to my face. However, had he not said it, I would have never known of the custom. I can only assume that the room service staff do not share in the daily tip charge added to the room, so I can understand the custom of tipping them separately.

They bring a pot with cups & the fixings. The card asks the number of people & I always order coffee for 4 because the small pot isn't big enough. We both like a mug size "cup" to start our day! ;p

We brought travel mugs with us too so we could fill up and keep it warm and have more than a small cup at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My "guess" was actually a counter statement to your definitive guess....... stating an alternative to putting a lablel on a staff member as rude and unprofessional without knowing any facts .. I prefer to look at the hard working service industry with a glass half full perspective.

Huh, turns out my 'guess' was correct and your 'guess' was wrong. Keep guessing. You will get one right someday, maybe. Haha.