Sanctuary on Emerald ...worth it?

Loreni

I wonder if any of you who have tried the sanctuary on Emerald would share your opinion.

I would like a quiet place to rest with my feet up. Ideally it would have been my balcony, but the new furniture is miserable for my back (perhaps by design). The promenade deck is closer to the water and thus, in my opinion, much more scenic. However, unlike on the Sapphire, you can’t put your feet up. Since my back surgery, I need to put my feet up to be comfortable. So this leaves the sanctuary or other upper deck areas.

I like the idea of having lunch in the Sanctuary. Do you stay at your lounge chair or move to a table? If DH has preordered gluten free lunch would they bring it. Or can he order gluten free from the Sanctuary menu?

Do you feel you are too far from the water to really enjoy the view of the ocean?

I think that the sanctuary is a total waste of money and that is might give you stuff that should be included in your cruise fare - such as comfort. However, I am frugal when on ship (on some cruises, my total bill at the end of the cruise is zero not including tips) and I am sure that a lot of people will disagree w me. You have to decide.

DON

I’m with you. The balcony furniture is horrible for anyone with back problems. It’s as comfortable as sitting, lying on concrete.

For the last several years, I’ve booked oceanview or inside cabins and booked the Sanctuary for the cruise. Whether it’s worth it or not is subjective. To me, it absolutely is.

Before actually booking, double check that they will bring you a gluten-free meal. I’m guessing they can and will. The charge is $3/delivery.

For afternoon tea, there’s a small table next to your lounger. It’s served on the table. You can either lounge or sit on the lounger. You can take as much or as little as you want. It’s not like having a room service meal delivered. Several carts are rolled from lounger to lounger and you select what you want.

I do like the Sanctuary on Ruby/Emerald/Crown/Caribbean. On these ships, there is a substantial area that is shaded and sun-lovers can have a chair in the outside area. I do NOT like Sanctuary on Regal/Royal because they have almost everything exposed to sunlight. We were on Island around S.A. last winter and my plans to use Sanctuary were scuttled for most of what I had in mind simply because there was way too much open exposure. A few overhead sails of a gauze-like material do little to shield the sun.

When Sanctuary began, we were doing Caribbean cruises only and mostly on 3 of the first 4 ships I mentioned. We were quite happy to book Interior cabin and spend for full cruise (7/10 days) booking in Sanctuary.

For afternoon tea, there’s a small table next to your lounger. It’s served on the table. You can either lounge or sit on the lounger. You can take as much or as little as you want. It’s not like having a room service meal delivered. Several carts are rolled from lounger to lounger and you select what you want.

Maybe that's why we were unimpressed. Our "tea" had no cart & no choice. The steward brought a plate with a couple of sandwiches and a couple of cookies and that was it.

Just came off the Emerald this past Sunday and we have never thought it was worth what they are asking. We sailed Alaska so it was not used a lot on this cruise. They were asking a lot of money for the week or day. They wanted to charge $65 P.P. to use the area on Hubbard Glacier morning. I have sailed Princess before and they always play the pricing game with this area on every cruise ! Beware!

I sailed on the Coral in January and loved the sanctuary. This is one of the few ships that has a small pool within the Sanctuary itself. I'll be sailing on the Emerald in Feb '20 and I sure hope the sanctuary lives up to our experience on the Coral. There are a lot of sea days and we plan on making good use of the Sanctuary.

Just came off the Emerald this past Sunday and we have never thought it was worth what they are asking. We sailed Alaska so it was not used a lot on this cruise. They were asking a lot of money for the week or day. They wanted to charge $65 P.P. to use the area on Hubbard Glacier morning. I have sailed Princess before and they always play the pricing game with this area on every cruise ! Beware!
Yes, there’s an extra charge for days such as going through the Panama Canal or glacier viewing at $60/day. However, that includes breakfast, juice, mimosas or Bloody Mary, lunch delivered to your lounger at no charge, a professional photo or two, a headband on Glacier days, etc. That’s quite a lot for the extra $20. Plus, there’s no fighting crowds or maneuvering for a good photo op.

Try it for one day and see what you think. If you like it...book more days.

We tried it once and were unimpressed. YMMV

Exactly what I thought. Planning to try it on our upcoming Emerald cruise. I have always thought it would not be worth the money, but this time we have lots of OBC and sea days, so it might be the time to test that theory. Will try to keep an open mind.

Tried it on the Regal and loved it! Super comfortable loungers and service. Ordered from lunch menu and saw a couple gluten free offerings. Just steps away from the Retreat pool and no worrying about finding a chaise.:cool:

Good news about the gluten free. We will probably try it for half a day. I will let you know what we think. I 100% agree with Pam about the balcony furniture.

But I also agree with Don that one shouldn’t have to pay for something that should be free...comfort. Especially since I have my suspicion that the new balcony furniture was deliberately selected to be uncomfortable. Yet I need to accept the current reality on Princess if I continue sailing with them.

Tried it on the Regal and loved it! Super comfortable loungers and service. Ordered from lunch menu and saw a couple gluten free offerings. Just steps away from the Retreat pool and no worrying about finding a chaise.:cool:

Yup, agree with mom...