Wheelchair accessible questions

Kate45

On the Crown in November. Travelling companion is in a motorized wheelchair (she has NO use of her legs). We got the last accessible cabin left on Riviera deck inside. Anyone know anything about this cabin R312? Any info on accessibility onboard, embarkation (we are driving from Canada)..... Really anything would be so appreciated.

On the Crown in November. Travelling companion is in a motorized wheelchair (she has NO use of her legs). We got the last accessible cabin left on Riviera deck inside. Anyone know anything about this cabin R312? Any info on accessibility onboard, embarkation (we are driving from Canada)..... Really anything would be so

appreciated.

Duplicate posting

Edited by Ron the Rev
duplicate posting

On the Crown in November. Travelling companion is in a motorized wheelchair (she has NO use of her legs). We got the last accessible cabin left on Riviera deck inside. Anyone know anything about this cabin R312? Any info on accessibility onboard, embarkation (we are driving from Canada)..... Really anything would be so appreciated.
DW is virtually wheelchair bound. We have had the HC cabins on various occasions R301 to R304 which are the same basic cabin with the addition of a balcony. All Princess HC cabins are designed very well and have ride in bathrooms where it is easy to slide onto a drop down seat in the shower area and there are various grab rails to make it easy. There is plenty of room in the cabin to park a wheelchair. When you arrive at the terminal aim for the nearest uniformed Princess person you see and ask for assistance, they will give you all the help you need. You will see from the deck plan that you are right next to the elevators so no problems there. The cabin doors are self closing so we take a door wedge with us so as to ease entry and exit. In the dining rooms let the waiters take over. The theater has an area at the back specifically for wheelchair users and their assistant. Just relax and enjoy your cruise:) Edited by Ron the Rev
typo

Your companion may have already filled out the accessibility questionnaire for Princess - if not ask your travel agent or Princess directly for one. Be aware that wheelchairs are not accommodated on tenders - if your itinerary has any tender ports, it will be an extra sea day for your companion. Also, if you are looking at shore excursions, there are only a handful that are wheelchair accessible - if interested, book early as these can sell out quickly - it is not likely that your companion could be accommodated on a non-wheelchair friendly excursion.

For embarkation there are ramps into the terminal. Once checked in there is a elevator to the second floor and ramps from there onto the ship. Lots of staff around to ask if help needed. Besides your cabin, there area a few accessible washrooms on the ship - you get a mini, folding guide of the ship when you check in.

The worst thing is the lack of space in the theater if someone can not get out of a wheelchair and go down stairs. Basically you will be at the back of the theater. No problem with access in dinning areas.

We have driven down from Toronto several times and have found hotels have a great range of definition of what an accessible room is - some have one or 2 grab bars and that is it but very hard to get a wheel chair into the washroom so be careful when booking hotels.

For embarkation there are ramps into the terminal. Once checked in there is a elevator to the second floor and ramps from there onto the ship. Lots of staff around to ask if help needed. Besides your cabin, there area a few accessible washrooms on the ship - you get a mini, folding guide of the ship when you check in.

The worst thing is the lack of space in the theater if someone can not get out of a wheelchair and go down stairs. Basically you will be at the back of the theater. No problem with access in dinning areas.

We have driven down from Toronto several times and have found hotels have a great range of definition of what an accessible room is - some have one or 2 grab bars and that is it but very hard to get a wheel chair into the washroom so be careful when booking hotels.

You're telling me! We spent six hours trying to book hotels for our drive to Florida. I think we have accessible rooms but quickly discovered the USA do not have the same requirements as Cdn hotels. Do you have experience with a wheelchair accessible cruise? I would love to talk to you about it if you do.

We have sailed twice with our (adult) son who has no use of his legs and limited use of his hands and arms. (Although he fakes use of his hands quite well and many folks don't realize he is actually high-functioning quad.) He wasn't able to tender for Maui but, other than that, no issues. There were crew members at the gangplank at each port who took over getting him up and down. They were good at it. We did a whale watching excursion on another cruise and also did the White Pass train. Princess was really great and, amazingly, the passengers weren't buttheads with the elevators. Often we would take the stairs while he took the elevator He books inside cabins as he stays up late and wants it very dark for sleeping late. We get an extra key for his cabin so we can go in and help him with dressing and such.

It's difficult in the theater though. Wheelchairs and scooters end up at the back of the theater and there's no seating for people who are with the person in the wheelchair. We went out into the hall and dragged in some chairs. I don't suppose you are meant to do that but it's not right that there is so little provision for HC seating.

My wife can only do transfers so she needs the special cabins. We did the 2016 world cruise on Oceania. Last year we did 56 days in the Caribbean (over 58 day period) on the Crown, Pacific and then Regal Princess. This winter we are doing 69 days on the Royal, Caribbean and Crown over a 71 day period. They are all repeat ports so my wife rarely gets off the ship.. Any questions ask away.

I've already checked our shore excursion for accessible tours and since we booked so late, they are all gone. She is okay with that but would still like to at least get off the ship. She is in a motorized wheelchair. Will she be able to get off? Are the ramps equipped to take that large of a wheelchair? I asked about a lift in her cabin to get her in and out of bed. Any experience with that?

You're telling me! We spent six hours trying to book hotels for our drive to Florida. I think we have accessible rooms but quickly discovered the USA do not have the same requirements as Cdn hotels. Do you have experience with a wheelchair accessible cruise? I would love to talk to you about it if you do.

I find that odd. The USA has the ADA which means hotels have to have a certain percentage of rooms that are accessible, and they have both with roll in showers and with the tub/grab bar options. Many of the hotels in Canada have only 1 designated accessible room and they don't have to meet any specific standards (the only "protection" in Canada is the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and that is very unspecific).

I have had great success in booking hotels in the US using the major brands - Marriott, IHG, Hilton and Drury Inn and Suites. Marriott brands are the least easy (you have to check the individual rooms). Hilton is great because once you find a hotel you're considering, you can click on the "rooms and suites" and it will give detailed descriptions for each of the accessible rooms and allow you to search the availability of just that room.

My mother had a right side stroke and is a full time wheelchair user. We have cruised a lot since then (in fact we used to go to WDW 2-3 times a year but since the stroke, we've found it easier to cruise than any other vacation type).

My tips:

1. Get a door stopper. We bought one on Amazon and use it all the time. So much easer to put that in, roll my mother through the door and then take it out. I've tried to hold open the door while pulling the wheelchair through far too many times.

2. If you're using a manual wheelchair and face a steep ramp, try going down backwards. With a power chair, you don't have much of a choice but to drive down forward though.

3. Pack your patience. You'll be waiting a lot. Some people are really great when they see a wheelchair and do things like hold open doors, let you into the elevator first, or move a chair out of the way for you to get through; some people though... well, not so much. It's not even malice for the most part (occasionally yes it is), unless you've dealt with the situation of being in a wheelchair/being with someone in a wheelchair, people frequently just don't "get it". They don't see it, they don't realize that even small bumps can be hazardous, that wheelchairs don't just stop, you come to close and yes, the wheel will catch you.

4. Scout out washrooms before you really, really, have to go. ;) Some have double doors, some stalls have bars on a specific side only, some are "accessible" but not really. Easier to know what you're facing before it's a do or oops situation.

5. If you have traditional dining, check out your table on embarkation day and talk to the Maitre'd since your friend is going to stay in her electric wheelchair. You want to make sure there's a clear path to the table, and that they can remove one of the chairs for her so she can roll right up. If she can only access one side of the table (and it's a larger shared table), you need to ensure that she's able to sit on that side. People are generally good and will move but I find it's less stressful to have a plan in advance.

6. Use a porter when debarking. I can't stress this enough. It's so much easier to have someone take your luggage to your car than to try to wrangle it. You have enough to worry about, plan on a $10 tip and it'll be the best $10 you spent on the trip.

7. Plan your routes on the ship. Some decks are easier to get through than others. Don't travel through cabin only decks unless you have to; the hallways tend to be narrow and the attendant carts, vacuums, etc. are frequently blocking a clear path.

8. Be aware that there aren't a lot of wheelchair accessible excursions. Especially for power chairs or people who can't take a step or 2 up to a bus. Many places have private, accessible excursions available but they do tend to be expensive. Always read the full description, don't trust the little wheelchair symbol.

9. Check out the theatre, lounges, bars on day 1. Know where the wheelchair access is. Some lounges will have stairs on one entrance but a ramp or flat entrance on the other side.

10. Ask for help. If you're in the buffet and your friend needs help carrying her plate, ask. If she can't reach something, ask. If you're just not sure about the accessibility of something, ask. And if they start off with "Well, I think...." ask them to check for sure.

We drive down from Toronto to Florida at least once a year. We take I-75 because we find it the easier route to take. We've also found that state run rest stops are usually the most accessible (most have a separate companion bathroom). A lot of fast food places (McDonald's, Burger King, etc.) tend not to be very good. Look for place that have only a single room washroom (we've had good experience with Dunkin Donuts, or White Castles believe it or not). If there's only 1 toilet in a place, it's going to be wheelchair accessible.

Also, most gas stations offer assistance if you have an handicapped sticker.

I've already checked our shore excursion for accessible tours and since we booked so late, they are all gone. She is okay with that but would still like to at least get off the ship. She is in a motorized wheelchair. Will she be able to get off? Are the ramps equipped to take that large of a wheelchair? I asked about a lift in her cabin to get her in and out of bed. Any experience with that?

if you need a lift for the cabin, you'll need to rent one with an outside company like Special needs at sea (Since we're doing 38 days on the Caribbean Princess in November/December, I've rented a hospital bed from them - in co-ordination with the special needs department); they have just about everything you could think of available for rent.

The ramps at docked ports should take the power chair. Tenders will usually be out of the question with a power chair.

On the Golden there is a ramp to the main theater but it is quite steep. About half way through our cruise we found out that you can call from the phone by the elevator (can't recall who you call sorry) and they will send someone to push the chair up the ramp if it is a manual one. But, as was mentioned earlier, there often are no seats for people who are with the person in the WC and we found that if there were seats in that area other people would take them and sometimes not move for you. Staff also would not make them move.

We found that if you were at the back of the ship and have a non electric chair it was sometimes easier to go up to the Lido, across and then down. Much fewer "humps" to go across as there are fewer manual doors.

10. Ask for help. If you're in the buffet and your friend needs help carrying her plate, ask. If she can't reach something, ask. If you're just not sure about the accessibility of something, ask. And if they start off with "Well, I think...." ask them to check for sure.

go to the dollar store or similar store and get one of those food severing trays, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/CAFETERIA-TRAYS-PLASTIC-ASSORTMENT-COLORS/dp/B00S1PUZUG/ . Having this kind of tray makes it soo much easier to carry plates of food, drinks and other things back to the table. Try to get a unique color so you know it is yours.

Trisha covered most of it very well.

US hotels are...complicated. Many exist that are grandfathered under the ADA (if they haven't had a major renovation since the law went into effect, they don't have to change structural aspects). Some places put a few extra grab bars on the wall and market that as an accessible room. Others are truly accessible. We've found it best to get on the phone and ask questions--particularly about the shower. Is it a roll in shower with a seat? Or a step in shower with a 3 inch step? Or (as is common) did they put extra bars in the tub so that there is no way someone in a chair can use that shower at all? What is the toilet height? Are there bars at the toilet? What is the width of the entry door?

Yes, it can take a long time to find a hotel that meets our needs.

The biggest problem we encountered on Princess is rude passengers. I don't expect them to get out of an elevator and offer it, but it is rude to have them rush around and climb over someone in a chair who has been waiting for an elevator.

On the Golden there is a ramp to the main theater but it is quite steep. About half way through our cruise we found out that you can call from the phone by the elevator (can't recall who you call sorry) and they will send someone to push the chair up the ramp if it is a manual one. But, as was mentioned earlier, there often are no seats for people who are with the person in the WC and we found that if there were seats in that area other people would take them and sometimes not move for you. Staff also would not make them move.

We found that if you were at the back of the ship and have a non electric chair it was sometimes easier to go up to the Lido, across and then down. Much fewer "humps" to go across as there are fewer manual doors.

"But, as was mentioned earlier, there often are no seats for people who are with the person in the WC and we found that if there were seats in that area other people would take them and sometimes not move for you. Staff also would not make them move". AH. the me me me syndrome, so sad for the conscience of the unentitled taker.You reap what you sow.

Does anyone have any experience with renting a lift? Our wheelchair travel companion's husband (who is driving us all in his accessible van) wants to rent one here (Canada) and take it with us. I know you can rent them from various places and they will even have it assembled in their cabin for arrival. Anyone ever do this.

He is taking a lot of s*#t with him. Is their a limit as to how much you can take onboard. He has two large suitcases, a lift, a cammode and a large bag of camera equipment.

Does anyone have any experience with renting a lift? Our wheelchair travel companion's husband (who is driving us all in his accessible van) wants to rent one here (Canada) and take it with us. I know you can rent them from various places and they will even have it assembled in their cabin for arrival. Anyone ever do this.

He is taking a lot of s*#t with him. Is their a limit as to how much you can take onboard. He has two large suitcases, a lift, a cammode and a large bag of camera equipment.

There is no limit to the amount of stuff you can bring. The beds are high enough to store empty suitcases- and the closet is pretty large.

As far as the Hoyer lift is concerned- I would probably try to rent one- that way SN@S will set it up and remove it at the end of the cruise.

For the most part, Princess is really good at accessible. Sometimes the passengers can be a little self-centered at the elevators. There were a few times I had to (rather loudly) advocate for my mom- who was wheelchair dependent.