Dining Room "Entertainment"

JerryInIL

We are looking at a Mediterranean cruise for Spring 2020, possibly "Empires of the Mediterranean" on Viking Star. We are infrequent cruisers, taking a few large ships in the Caribbean and Alaska and one European river cruise. We loved the small river cruise and look forward to a small ocean cruise ship. One thing we really disliked on the big ships was the MDR "singing/dancing entertainment" by the crew (before dessert and coffee). I think they did this 3 times on our Alaska cruise. Maybe we are just boring seniors, but please tell me they don't do this on Viking or any other small cruise ships. tia

That's not exactly true I must say at least on Viking River. On the Rinda last July there was a special regional themed dinner and we had some local musicians who played for us while we ate. Guitar I think. But you're right - AFAIK - not done on Viking Ocean. In any case whatever they do -except poolside - is low key. Poolside - that's another story but not out of control either or over the top silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll be doing Med/Adriatic Sojourn in May 2020 on the Sea. Am looking at the map you'll be following. We had looked at that one - Santorini caught our eye - but decided on the big one from Barcelona. Will be fun to see places we've visited before with more time to enjoy and/or to see different things. Did Barcelona last year as part of a choir tour and had a little time to see the big sights. Florence was many years ago where we had the advantage of a local guide: the wife of a college professor we knew (he was in the US teaching physics; she taught English in Italy).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No dancing desserts. No umbrella drinks. No steel drums. Viking Oceans is riverboat cruising writ large.

OMG, devastated - No Baked Alaska Parade - no disturbing napkin waving as waiters prance around with poor imitations of a real Baked Alaska that were also topped with electric candles.

We were always at large tables and frequently had extensive conversation, so were usually some of the last tables to finish. Frequently, we were still eating our main courses when the lights dimmed and the parade interrupted the meal.

Personally, we prefer having better meals than all the glitz.