Viking Visa credit card

wheredowegonext

i recently received an offer for the Viking Visa credit card. No annual fee, two $100 shipboard credits upon meeting purchase requirements, and 3 points for every Viking purchase/booking. Reward points can be used on Viking for any onboard spending, including prem. beverages, spa, shorex, gratuities, merchandise.

For me, this is competitive with the 3% “discount” with e-check.

Comments?

i recently received an offer for the Viking Visa credit card. No annual fee, two $100 shipboard credits upon meeting purchase requirements, and 3 points for every Viking purchase/booking. Reward points can be used on Viking for any onboard spending, including prem. beverages, spa, shorex, gratuities, merchandise.

For me, this is competitive with the 3% “discount” with e-check.

Comments?

Read the details and the legalese. Did some math. I'll stick with the e-check and what's in my wallet. Too many hoops to jump through for minimal rewards. Must book through a dedicated phone number to use rewards.

• Like 1

I get 3% back on cruises booked with my Citi Visa from the big box store -- regardless of how I book (direct with cruise line, or with any TA I choose), so the only benefit of the Viking card would be the signing bonus -- which is pretty chintzy.

• 1 month later...

I use my Chase Sapphire Reserve card - gives me 3 ultimate rewards points per $ - each point is worth $.015 (or more) making the use of the card gives me a 4.5% discount plus you I get free trip cancellation/interruption insurance and free medical insurance and emergency evacuation insurance - plus lots more benefits.

• 7 months later...

Viking Credit Card advertising misrepresentations:

After booking an Explorer Suite for the Grand European Tour, I received an ad for a Viking Credit Card that promised a $100 shipboard credit if I spent $1,000 within the first 90 days.  I am furious to find out now (about a month before we sail) that even though I opened a Viking credit card and spent the $1,000 within 90 days of opening that I am not receiving the promised shipboard credit of $100 on the Grand European Tour. Viking Customer Service was less than helpful and informed me it was their policy only to apply the credit for a future booking.  I never would have gotten the card or used it if I knew this.  Everyone I talked to (or chatted online with) told me to call someone else.  They actually told me to contact their supervisor and wouldn't talk to their supervisor directly.

On the other hand, Viking Air was exceptionally helpful with changing our return flights when I was concerned about a short lay-over (50 minutes) in Amsterdam.  That representative made my day and redeemed my opinion of Viking.

Don't get or use the Viking Credit Card expecting a shipboard credit unless you book another cruise (highly unlikely for me at this point).

Viking credit card ad.jpg

19 minutes ago, Torie Little said:

After booking an Explorer Suite for the Grand European Tour, I received an ad for a Viking Credit Card that promised a $100 shipboard credit if I spent $1,000 within the first 90 days.  I am furious to find out now (about a month before we sail) that even though I opened a Viking credit card and spent the $1,000 within 90 days of opening that I am not receiving the promised shipboard credit of $100 on the Grand European Tour. Viking Customer Service was less than helpful and informed me it was their policy only to apply the credit for a future booking.  I never would have gotten the card or used it if I knew this.

Sorry but you aren't going to find much sympathy here.

Those details were explained in the fine print and just like with every other advertisement with fine print, you have to read the fine print to get the full story. Viking did not misrepresent; they followed standard advertising practice. Each statement was marked with an asterisk indicating that there was more detail that needed to be read. Don't blame Viking for your failure to read the details of the offer.

My goal was not to receive sympathy, but to avoid other people experiencing the same disappointment before applying for a Viking Visa Card.

If their ad had said "shipboard credit on a future cruise," it would have been more clear instead of hiding it in the fine print.

Agree with Peregrina, I certainly ready the small print, rather than the advertising. I would hope that others would also read the entire small print prior to signing up for a credit card.

One of the first things we were taught is buyer beware and if it sounds too good, it probably isn't any good.

Thank you again for reinforcing my message that no one else should be so absolutely stupid as I was to believe they would get shipboard credits when they booked a cruise, got an ad for a Visa Viking card to use to obtain shipboard credits and find out it wasn't that simple.  Bless your heart!

2 hours ago, Torie Little said:

I want to thank you and Peregrina for helping to spread my message:  Beware before you sign up for a Viking Visa Card.  They will take away your expected shipboard credit with the fine print.

No thanks necessary, as I certainly didn't assist you in erroneously laying blame for an error that rests entirely with you, NOT Viking.

Personally, I am offended that you believe that I others need to be warned prior to signing up for a credit card. Sorry, but you may not have completed due diligence, but I certainly do. I have actually read Viking's T & C and didn't find them of sufficient benefit, like many other company credit cards. BTW - every credit card has fine print or terms & conditions.

How can Viking remove shipboard credits when you weren't entitled to them? You will receive them when you complete the terms of the offer you signed up for.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...