NOT QUITE LIVE! — MS Zuiderdam — NYC to QC

*Miss G*

Right now we are sitting off this island. I am guessing we are waiting for something. Either that or there is a pier on the port side of the ship.

f6a2792e6e3c28a84bc0739136537523.jpg

That's Georges Island with the aptly names Georges Island Lighthouse Front Range Light erected in 1917. Me thinks you're going to Pier 20 on the port side. Canada's "Ellis Island" at Pier 21 with its Canadian Museum of Immigration is a can't miss

That's Georges Island with the aptly names Georges Island Lighthouse Front Range Light erected in 1917. Me thinks you're going to Pier 20 on the port side. Canada's "Ellis Island" at Pier 21 with its Canadian Museum of Immigration is a can't miss

Argh! I missed it!

We missed breakfast in the Pinnacle due to a combination of the time change and early port-day closing. In my mind it is currently 8:00 am due to the time change. The Pinnacle Grill Manager seems a little too happy to tell us they are closed. We’ll be there on time, this evening, now that I know what time it is. That should wipe the smile from his face.

We head to the Lido deck and we are reminded why we don’t go to the Lido deck. But I discover that there is a dock on the port side. I always find it intriguing that there can be two different worlds on a ship, depending on which side you’re on.

There is a Disney ship docked behind us. I see lots of seniors but no kids. I don’t get it. If you look closely you can see Goofy painting the logo.

61f90754ef1e9278c3c949fb1d79fb06.jpg

The laundry has arrived in a big paper bag. There is no wicker basket or tissue paper. I guess standards are lower here. :p

I was in the bathroom when the lights went out. It is very very dark in the bathroom when the lights go out. Captain Vaartjes came on to announce that it happened when we were switching from ships’ power to shore power. Apparently that didn’t go very well. We will be restarting our engines to restore power. I like Captain Vaartjes.

There is a helicopter bringing things to the island and taking things away. I guess that explains the port-a-pottie.

65358fc3d36ce3f0ddb777ef0db9c909.jpg

.............There is a helicopter bringing things to the island and taking things away. I guess that explains the port-a-pottie.

65358fc3d36ce3f0ddb777ef0db9c909.jpg

That would be the "Coasties" or Coast Guard, the Canadian version. You'll find that both in Canada as in the U.S. the coast guard maintains active lighthouses

All aboard was 4:30 pm (it is currently 4:50 pm) but we are still waiting for an EXC tour to arrive back to the ship, so we have a delayed departure. There has been some varnishing or something near our stateroom so I have developed a headache from the fumes and can’t sit outside. That makes me sad. But I have a headache so it also means I don’t care.

Captain Vaartjes has just made an announcement. We are still refueling so sailaway is now at 6:00 pm. Apparently there must be coordination with the airport because we are sailing directly in front of their landing strip. That must have been fairly exciting for them this morning because I saw squat through the fog. Oh sorry. Captain Vaartjes has just told us that they call them very low clouds. There are also very low clouds in Bar Harbor.

To continue...

I get my morning coffee in the Crows Nest. The Barista asks me if I am sure of my order because I didn’t get the same as yesterday. She’s good.

Yesterday and today I get the same questions from other passengers. “Where did you get your coffee?” They literally ask me that as I am standing beside the coffee bar. The visible presence of the new Explorations Cafe is literally abysmal. Today a man walked up to it and asked where they sell coffee.

We disembark and jump on the HOHO bus. I really like our driver but he only goes as far as Stop 1 where we have to get off and get on another bus. Bus driver # 2 is named Jules. She talks in a really fast monotone and puts people to sleep. When she is not boring us with the stories we can’t hear, she is admonishing us for things we haven’t done. Like getting off the bus; jaywalking; how we drive; why aren’t we getting off the bus?; jaywalking. I start calling them Jules’ Rules.

The architecture in this city is beautiful. There is a Freedom Festival going on. I can smell the pot. Coincidentally, we are now hungry. We finish the circuit and get off.

I had heard Quincy Market was the place to get lobster rolls. The crowds are horrendous and I decide that nothing is THAT good. We walk back to the harbor and stand in line at James Hook & Co. They have been in this location since 1925 so something’s keeping them in business. The lobster rolls are delicious. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture. My bad.

d5e6b2a8412abd114d3c381e135f4055.jpg

You must have had Sheena! She is amazing. We just got off Sept 13, but had sailed with her on the Rotterdam in 2016 and she remembered us. If you think of it tell her Tallulah says hello and I miss her[emoji41][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I noticed you said "he" for your PG manager, Miss G.

May I ask whom it is? I haven't seen a 'he' on the P'dam for some time. How late were you for your breakast?

I've seen the 'she's' welcome their guests and explain they are closed nicely but offer them continental and coffee and juices if they are there in a 20 minute time frame after the PG is closed.

Sorry about the fumes and headache :(. I find wine helps ;). Seriously, hope the air is good and you can use your balcony tomorrow.

May I ask whom it is? I haven't seen a 'he' on the P'dam for some time. How late were you for your breakast?

Zuidy's PGM is Gabor Csoma, very experienced Hungarian gentleman

PRDM's current PGM is Maud Luitjens, very Dutch female name

Oh lucky Alberta Quilter & RuthC (and everyone else on her). Maud is wonderful. We had her on our cruise!

And now back to the Zuiderdam with my apologies to Miss G. didn't mean to take the thread of track.

Thanks for your comments everyone! No apologies necessary Jacqui. There is always interesting information in thread drift.

You must have had Sheena! She is amazing. We just got off Sept 13, but had sailed with her on the Rotterdam in 2016 and she remembered us. If you think of it tell her Tallulah says hello and I miss her[emoji41][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I will check her name tag tomorrow, Takinoff, and tell her you said hi!

I've seen the 'she's' welcome their guests and explain they are closed nicely but offer them continental and coffee and juices if they are there in a 20 minute time frame after the PG is closed.

Sorry about the fumes and headache :(. I find wine helps ;). Seriously, hope the air is good and you can use your balcony tomorrow.

We arrived at 8:10 am ship time but it was 9:10 am local time. Gabor (thank you Copper) said they closed at 9:00 am. This morning I noticed people being let in at 9:10 and 9:15 am, but it was the assistant dining room manager, I am guessing, because Gabor wasn’t there.

I do not understand “The Rulez” so I asked one of the attendants in the Neptune Lounge who is usually serving in the PG. (There was no one at the PG desk to ask on our way out.). He says that if we arrive at port early then the hours are from 7:30 - 9:00 am. If we arrive at port late then the hours are from 8:00 - 9:30 am. He says to follow the main dining room hours because they use the same galley.

I now understand “The Rulez”.

DAY SIX - SYDNEY, CAPE BRETON ISLAND

Well, it’s happened. We officially have no idea what day it is. We are doing donuts in the harbor. What is happening?

We get to the Pinnacle in time for breakfast. We are seated at a different table because you get what you are given when you don’t arrive early. We discover that a private table can sometimes be too private. They have forgotten all about us. Usually we are barely in our seats before the juice and water and coffee guy is taking our order, and then the guy with the sweet pastries, and then our waiter. Today we get nothing. Nada. Zip.

We twiddle our thumbs.

Iyus shows up and wonders why we have nothing. He goes away and comes back with water. We give him our order. Suddenly there is an about-face and a tsunami of breakfast items arrive. The pastry guy. Juice. Our fresh fruit. Our tea and coffee. Another pastry guy. Our meal. More pastry. What is happening? Our table is packed and I hold my fresh fruit plate in the air to make way for new stuff. I don’t like this table.

We finish our breakfast and try to get back to Deck 7. I press the elevator up-arrow to go up. The door opens and there is an elevator full of people. They ask if we are going down. We say no and step off. I press the elevator up-arrow to go up. The same elevator door opens. Whoops! Sorry about that. The elevator door closes and I press the elevator up-arrow to go up. The elevator door opens with an angry mob inside. It finally dawns on me that they are the ones who got on the wrong elevator; not me. We step inside. Not going up? Well you are now. We get off on Deck 7 and wish them well on their journey.

Back in our room on the other side of the ship we notice we are docked. There is a giant fiddle and someone playing the bagpipes. Well isn’t this nice. The Veendam is tendering. We lucked out. They have been with us at every port. We think it’s time they get their own ports.

2ff501cd08f6eef0cf700009bf9065d1.jpg

Last night we tried to watch a movie, but all we get is this:

83834527f4dea073eefbed9c22fcc1ba.jpg

We stop by the lounge to mention it to Joy and she tells us that they lost all their programming when they lost all their power yesterday. They are trying to fix it. So it’s not just me after all. Somehow that makes it okay.