Late dining.... how stringent are they with the times?

lola4795

We just booked a cruise on the Conquest November 18 sailing. YTD is full, so we were assigned to Late Dining. Do we need to be there right at 8:15, or is there a bit of flex in that time frame?

I'm normally a stickler for times, so if it really is a set time that's fine. But....we're on vacation. I would love to be more flexible if possible. ;);)

The waiters will usually wait until they see that all of the people at that table or booth are present before they will take the orders. If you know you are not eating in the MDR on a certain night, (Steakhouse) it's nice to let either your table mates or your waiter know ahead of time. Then they won't hold up taking the orders.

If you are more than five minutes late, I would just go to the Lido Buffet for dinner that night.

We just booked a cruise on the Conquest November 18 sailing. YTD is full, so we were assigned to Late Dining. Do we need to be there right at 8:15, or is there a bit of flex in that time frame?

I'm normally a stickler for times, so if it really is a set time that's fine. But....we're on vacation. I would love to be more flexible if possible. ;);)

Hi

5-10 min. would be acceptable if not all the time.

Longer than that would be considered rude to your table mates if at a large table, because they do try and wait somewhat. The effort is to have everybody starting and finishing at the same time. If you are at a two top, then you are just being inconsiderate to your wait staff.

If you want flexibility, then you need to choose Your Time Dining. If you cannot make the changes now online, or through your TA, then go to the dining room as soon as you board and speak with the maitre d'. There will be others in line trying to make similar changes. If you don't want to make the change, then on any given evening, you could also choose to dine in the Lido dining areas. The dishes offered are somewhat the same as what is offered in the MDR, and it's easier to get a second helping, and certainly less formal.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

It really throws off the wait service when people are late. They tend to take orders from all of their tables and bring up apps together, followed by entrees, etc. When a table is late, the timing is off. They have to hustle to get that table's apps, as everyone else's mains are coming up. Please try to be on time.

Thanks for these great answers. We will definitely be on time. I have a piggyback question. We have always cruised with ATD. Does assigned time mean that we will have to eat with strangers at the same table every night?

With assigned times comes assigned seating.

If you are able to choose your table size before boarding, you may choose a table for two, or for the size of your party. Keeping in mind that most 2 top tables are so close that it is almost like being at a larger table anyway.

Personally, we prefer a large table as we are very sociable folks

We have made very good, long-time friendships from some of the people we have met during dinner.

Edited by Fla Mike
sp

Personally, we prefer a large table as we are very sociable folks

We have made very good, long-time friendships from some of the people we have met during dinner.

Same is true for us. :)

In favor of late dining we rarely ever miss a sail away or a sunset because of a dining time. We normally enjoy the sail away and sunset with a glass of wine then leisurely shower and get ready for dinner. If we're hungry earlier we pick up something for an "appetizer" in the Lido and take it back to the cabin to nibble on.

Thanks for these great answers. We will definitely be on time. I have a piggyback question. We have always cruised with ATD. Does assigned time mean that we will have to eat with strangers at the same table every night?

No, you can ask for your own table

You have an assigned table and after the first night, your tablemates are no longer strangers. If there are issues, you can ask the maitre d' to be assigned to a different table of strangers, or perhaps a private table.

In any event, you want to be on time, within reason. The MDRs aren't traditional restaurants with food cooked to order. The kitchen and staff are set up to serve courses at about the same time to everyone.

You can request a table for just your party if that is what you prefer and they have something available. Back when we used to do early seating, I always emailed the maitre'd of the ship about 2 weeks out for a separate table, never rec'd a response (some people say they do get reply) but always had request granted (we would go to MDR on embarkation day as soon as MDR opened in afternoon to see where our table was). Never had an issue with it.

We do YTD now just for more flexibility and earlier availability if there are shows we want to see later and an earlier dinner works better for our schedule.

We usually cruise with my brother and sister in law. They always put the four of us in a booth. One time we cruised with just DW, one son and me. That time we were put at a table for eight. Twice, it was just the two of us and they put us in a booth with another couple. It's hard to say ahead of time how you will be seated.

If something starts at 8:15, and it could be anything, than the only proper answer is show up at 8:15.

If something actually starts at 8:15, then the proper answer is usually to arrive at least 5-10 minutes early to allow time to be seated. For ship shows you often want to arrive at least 15-20 minutes early.

Showing up exactly when something starts usually makes you late.