Not Seated in MDR Until Full Party is Present

salty dingo

One of the better experiences on our recent cruise was how they enforced a policy at the main dining room that the full party needs to be present before anyone gets seated.

We had the Your Time Dining, so I am not sure this applies to the traditional dining, but it was welcome to see it.

We saw cases just about every time we went to dinner, where a large family group was dining, and some of the party wanted to be seated while waiting for the rest of them to show up.

They were directed to step aside and wait near the front of the line. I really like this policy because those seated on time would probably want service right away and the late-comers would want the same service later, and this creates havoc for the wait staff.

I was glad to see this.

I can see how this would be a good thing, especially for any time dining.

I cant tell you how often Ive been annoyed when we sat at traditional dining for 20 or 30 minutes and the waiter refused to wait on us until the rest of the guests (whom i didnt even know) came in or didnt come in.

It is annoying to have service held up by the waiter because people didnt tell him they werent coming to dinner, or coming late and then everything seemed to be upset. But i doubt this will stop for traditional dining, which im hoping to get next cruise. We will see how it goes. We can always go to the buffet if its not a good fit. I ate almost all my dinners in the buffet last time lol.

Yes, traditional dining is always seat yourself after the first night, but Your Time is wait till all present.

I have to agree with dingo here. I like it that way. Otherwise some will go grab the table for the rest and not order till all are there. Just holds up the tables from getting turned over and slows down the process for others.

Many land restaurants are the same thing. Your Time dining is supposed to work just like on land.

The "kind of" exception to the rule with Your Time Dining - Be wary if they ask you you would like to dine with others unless you are fine with having your meal last forever. My Mother and I were on the Splendor last year and had Your Time Dining. On one of the elegant nights, they asked if we would mind being seated with a group vs a table for 2 as the dining room was very congested. We were the first ones seated at a large table for 10. We were given a drink menu but no-one ever came back to take our drink order. No food was brought to the table until they found 8 additional passengers. The final couple seated ordered multiples selections for each course. The remainder of our table would not get service until the "final couple" finished each course.

Since my Mother & I were the first ones seated at the table, we were in the dining room for well over 2 hours. I can see how this would be a major issue if you allowed families/groups to be seated before all of the party arrived. Good for Carnival to follow their rules on this.

I can see how this would be a good thing, especially for any time dining.

I cant tell you how often Ive been annoyed when we sat at traditional dining for 20 or 30 minutes and the waiter refused to wait on us until the rest of the guests (whom i didnt even know) came in or didnt come in.

It is annoying to have service held up by the waiter because people didnt tell him they werent coming to dinner, or coming late and then everything seemed to be upset. But i doubt this will stop for traditional dining, which im hoping to get next cruise. We will see how it goes. We can always go to the buffet if its not a good fit. I ate almost all my dinners in the buffet last time lol.

I am new to Carnival and wondering about something for our family's upcoming Christmas cruise on Horizon... We have early dining and plan to request that our family of 5 get a table by ourselves. I could imagine my 16 year old son not exactly being on time to join the rest of us. Is it possible for me to just start ordering for him so we are not held up?

What if a couple decide to go to the Steakhouse or buffet? I don't see how it would be possible to wait for a party to be seated if they are not going to show up. It might be courteous, but it is not necessary to inform your server if you change your mind.

I am new to Carnival and wondering about something for our family's upcoming Christmas cruise on Horizon... We have early dining and plan to request that our family of 5 get a table by ourselves. I could imagine my 16 year old son not exactly being on time to join the rest of us. Is it possible for me to just start ordering for him so we are not held up?

We always have traditional dining and have teen sons who are not always in the same cabin as us. We only wait about 5 minutes and then we go ahead and order. If they have told us ahead of time we would order for them but otherwise I tell them if they are going to be more than 5-10 minutes late to go eat at the buffet. Especially with early dining it messes up the servers schedule and they do have to get everyone served and tables reset in time for late seating.

I could imagine my 16 year old son not exactly being on time to join the rest of us. Is it possible for me to just start ordering for him so we are not held up?

Good question... what if son was a no show? That would mean wasted food. I would suggest telling the teens to eat at the buffet if they cannot show up with the family.

I have seen where teens joined a table 30 minutes late... while talking on the cell phone. Kept on talking too. I remember thinking I was glad I did not have to deal with those kids.

Good question... what if son was a no show? That would mean wasted food. I would suggest telling the teens to eat at the buffet if they cannot show up with the family.

Even if he was a no show, someone else in the party could eat the food ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I would never pre-order for a 16 year old. What are you going to do when he goes off to college. You have taught him how to NOT order for himself. He will starve to death away from your hovering protection.

Also, if you have early or late dining (other than Your Time), I have been on many cruises where they shut the doors 20 minutes after start time for dining and your not supposed to enter late. Not like they lock them, so you could just open the door and come in. But this is to prevent exactly what we are talking about here. Trying to keep everyone else on schedule.

I guess I would never pre-order for a 16 year old. What are you going to do when he goes off to college. You have taught him how to NOT order for himself. He will starve to death away from your hovering protection.

Where in my comment did I say I order for him if he is present? My expectation is that he will be on time and order for himself. If he is a no show on his he will meet my wrath. But on the chance that he is late and for the benefit of the server, I was wondering if I could steal his autonony/choice and order for him so as not to hold up the dining room.

Wow. We cruised frequently when our kids were teens. And we had early dining. And we showed up as a family on time. Every night.

Us too--family dinner was an expectation. They could do stuff with their new friends (as long as I knew what and where), but dinner was for family.

On our last cruise, we had one couple at our table for 10 that was never on time. Our waiters didn't wait more than 5 minutes for them. They would show up in the middle of the main course -- once after we had ordered dessert. :o

On our last cruise, we had one couple at our table for 10 that was never on time. Our waiters didn't wait more than 5 minutes for them. They would show up in the middle of the main course -- once after we had ordered dessert. :o

That is exactly why they have a buffet. If you can't make the MDR dinner on time, no worries, just head to the buffet.

Something tells me for those who can't manage to get to dinner on time, having dinner in the MDR is not really a priority for them anyway.