Port Days Mexican Riviera

ScottC4746

Dee, which sailing? We're on the Dec 9th Eurodam sailing out of San Diego. Suggest considering a visit to Stone Island in Maz. Great beach day if that is something you might be interested in.

Getting excited! :)

ME TOO! And that is when we are sailing as well..:)

Thank you everyone for all of this information. I am going in Dec. 16 with my parents. They are not beach people but think some of the excursions may interest them. They have been to Mazatlan and want to go to a specific restaurant there and we will walk the blue line. At the other ports I am searching for something to do.. specially in Cabo. Will look into some of the suggestions here. Thank you again!

Happy Sailing!

We enjoyed our whale watch/los Arcos tour. It was fairly short and would leave time to do something else

Thank you everyone for all of this information. I am going in Dec. 16 with my parents.

If you're sailing Eurodam out of San Diego, you'll be boarding as we leave the ship. We're on the sailing just before yours... Dec 9th. :)

At the other ports I am searching for something to do.. specially in Cabo. Will look into some of the suggestions here. Thank you again!

Happy Sailing!

You may want to check out the Mexican Riviera Port thread here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203

It is full of useful information about the ports and recommendations for things to do as well.

Have a great cruise!

we really liked Cabo... we did the Resort day pass at Melia Me https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/ and our friends did the Whale watching privately and said it was incredible.

In PV we did ziplining which was kinda cool too

We used this company as well for a private sailing and whale watching tour and it was incredible [emoji227][emoji228][emoji229]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We really enjoyed the bird watching excursion in Mazatlan. For Cabo, we always walk off the ship to the marina and take a water taxi over to the beach area, where we pay for a lounge and a lunch at one of the local beach huts. This never fails to be a pleasant day. A bucket of beers helps round things out nicely.

My husband and I are taking our 2nd HAL cruise on November 4th, 2018 which is the Eurodam out of San Diego. We have a SS, a retreat cabana named Rhodes, and the Thermal Suite Passes booked. We love reading here to learn the do's and don'ts. Our plan is stay onboard versus booking excursions. We liked a couple of the excursions when we sailed to Alaska, but sure disliked the mob scenes at the piers with several ships docked at the same time. This time we are going to just loll around in our cabana and live the life of Riley. lol We may wonder off to take a boo at Walmart in PV. But we are very flexible and will play it by ear. From reading here, I booked a dinner for us in the Pinnacle on embarkation day as people said the MDR and Lido could be a little more disorganized than usual on that day. We are very excited to go on this cruise. We live in Vancouver, BC. We will fly out of Bellingham to San Diego and spend 3 nights at the Wyndam Bayside and poke around San Diego. Thanks to all for the great info. on this forum.

I have a cruise to the Mexican Riviera departing 6 April for 7 nights. I have looked and looked at shore excursions and nothing is jumping at me. This is not to say they are bad excursions, just nothing pops out at me and I don't want to book one just to book one. I am traveling solo this trip and have been to these ports before (yawn). What all is open and closed on port days?

Yeah I woudln't book an excursion 'just because' either. Sometimes it's nice just to walk off the ship, stretch your legs, have a couple drinks and maybe an appetizer (or full meal if you like). The blue line in Mazatlan is fun to walk, passes by a historic theatre that you can tour and ends up at a little place with a bunch of sidewalk cafes. Just past that is that huge gorgeous church (I'm blanking on the name), but if you've never been inside, it's quite amazing. Cabo of course goes past tons of restaurants around the harbor, though I like to take the water taxi to the beach. And in PV, if you're not into the mall or WalMart across the street, there's taxis in abundance which will take you to the malecon. It's a beautiful walk along the beach, lots of art (sculptures as well as street artists), and lots of shopping and restaurants with great drink specials and beach views.

The fact that the Kardashian’s go to Cabo is not a great recommendation, as far as I’m concerned. Not a fan. A movie star, maybe, since they may actually be famous for a reason. It’s OK but it is our least favorite port on this itinerary. And we’ve never felt unsafe in any of the port cities

I’m suprised cruise lines still do this itinerary. Cabo is decent, Kardashians and American movie stars still go there. However, the other ports have been going downhill for at least 20 years.

Crime is another issue.

Cabo used to be wonderful before the hotels and condos were built along the beaches. Now it's a zoo and looks like Ft Lauderdale. Anyone remember when the Finisterra and the Terrasol were the only hotels facing out to the Pacific ? Cabo was a relaxing place for a getaway, but no more.

Anyway, the itinerary remains popular for whatever reasons; HAL Mex Riv trips from San Diego always sail full.

And Princess will move the Royal Princess to the west coast in March 2019, to do Mex Riv, Alaska and Pacific Coastals.

I’m suprised cruise lines still do this itinerary. Cabo is decent, Kardashians and American movie stars still go there. However, the other ports have been going downhill for at least 20 years.

Crime is another issue.

IMHO you are completely wrong and misinformed. We have been visiting Mexico since 1956 and have never tired of its charm.

It is a wonderful country to visit, and your comment about 'going downhill' is completely subjective and unsubstantiated.

As far as crime goes, compare that to any major American city and we might see some perspective.

IMHO you are completely wrong and misinformed. We have been visiting Mexico since 1956 and have never tired of its charm.

It is a wonderful country to visit, and your comment about 'going downhill' is completely subjective and unsubstantiated.

As far as crime goes, compare that to any major American city and we might see some perspective.

Totally agree :D

Crime is another issue.

So when was the last time you were there? Tourism is still rising in e,g, Puerto Vallarta where each winter thousands and thousands of snowbirds of many countries are staying for various months. Just like we do, also driving around in our car, shop, eat and drink and meet friends, having a great time!

I think the area around Cabo and Vallarta is gorgeous, the ocean and surroundings areas ... just avoid the typical tourist traps and take the smaller more independent tours

Sent from my iPhone using Forums