Rumours again....

ohnonotmeagain

They do but it's built into the price of the drinks on the menu and you are not charged extra like on most cruise lines.

Assuming this to be the situation, one would imagine that a waiter who is on such 'piece work' so go speak would hustle to fill as many orders as possible. But obviously that is not the case. The incentive I speak of is coming directly from the customers in the form of tips. I realize we should not have to do this but with these bar games it seems to be the only way. With a constant tip presented per drink every visit, we not only get service but eventually the drink order is placed as we are seen entering the bar. Condemn me if you will but if there is a better way to get a drink when wanting one we are all ears.

Assuming this to be the situation, one would imagine that a waiter who is on such 'piece work' so go speak would hustle to fill as many orders as possible. But obviously that is not the case. The incentive I speak of is coming directly from the customers in the form of tips. I realize we should not have to do this but with these bar games it seems to be the only way. With a constant tip presented per drink every visit, we not only get service but eventually the drink order is placed as we are seen entering the bar. Condemn me if you will but if there is a better way to get a drink when wanting one we are all ears.

I have only ever cruised with P&O/Princess/Cunard and one the gratuity/service charge is either included in the price shown or is added on top i.e. 15% as in Princess/Cunard but end of the day is the same result. The staff get commission from every drink sold and obviously the more drinks they sell the more commission they receive. But I have never been hassled or hustled into buying more drinks if when I have finished my drink they will ask if I want another one and either get one or if I say no take empty glasses and then leave us alone. Never given or feel the need to individually tip in cash waiters for individual drinks and although I have never seen it I am sure it must happen.

I have only ever cruised with P&O/Princess/Cunard and one the gratuity/service charge is either included in the price shown or is added on top i.e. 15% as in Princess/Cunard but end of the day is the same result. The staff get commission from every drink sold and obviously the more drinks they sell the more commission they receive. But I have never been hassled or hustled into buying more drinks if when I have finished my drink they will ask if I want another one and either get one or if I say no take empty glasses and then leave us alone. Never given or feel the need to individually tip in cash waiters for individual drinks and although I have never seen it I am sure it must happen.
It does.

They do but it's built into the price of the drinks on the menu and you are not charged extra like on most cruise lines.

No it’s not. There is no drinks service charge full stop.

Whether drinks waiters earn commission is somewhat different. It was sugggested on my recent cruise that drinks waiters don’t earn commission on the drinks package but do on the individual drinks ordered. This includes commission on the retail equivalent of any drink ordered under the drinks package.

Therefore no motivation for the package to be pushed. This is unlike the old wine packages where commission was on the initial sale of the package.

No it’s not. There is no drinks service charge full stop.

Whether drinks waiters earn commission is somewhat different. It was sugggested on my recent cruise that drinks waiters don’t earn commission on the drinks package but do on the individual drinks ordered. This includes commission on the retail equivalent of any drink ordered under the drinks package.

Therefore no motivation for the package to be pushed. This is unlike the old wine packages where commission was on the initial sale of the package.

I am not talking about drinks packages or ever mentioned drinks packages I am talking about individual drinks purchased from bar menu's by waiters in the bars around the ship.

I think I must sail on different pando ships to other people. Ive never had to wait too long for a drink in any of the bars. I have never felt I needed to give any money over to get quicker or any service. They do get a % of any drink they sell. Finally I do not know what I want to drink before I go into a bar, it varies..so someone who sees me and thinks oh shes a XXXX and CCCC will be on a hiding to nothing. Is there someone else in the bar getting quicker service because they have bribed the bar man, possibly, but they must be deperate for alcohol to have quicker service than we get...so there you go.

I think I must sail on different pando ships to other people. Ive never had to wait too long for a drink in any of the bars. I have never felt I needed to give any money over to get quicker or any service. They do get a % of any drink they sell. Finally I do not know what I want to drink before I go into a bar, it varies..so someone who sees me and thinks oh shes a XXXX and CCCC will be on a hiding to nothing. Is there someone else in the bar getting quicker service because they have bribed the bar man, possibly, but they must be deperate for alcohol to have quicker service than we get...so there you go.

Here’s hoping that, after the introduction of drinks packages across the fleet, service remains the same.

I think that service on deck was the one area where there could be more staff though and if you’ve spent £40pppd on a package and can’t find a waiter to bring you drinks you’d be a bit miffed - hence the tip incentive!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree, I have never had a problem getting a drink on any deck in any bar on any P&O ship...

Plenty have complained of over zealous waiters asking if you want another drink before you have finished the one you have? This does not fit with anybody getting preferential treatment for tipping?

Perhaps it will all change with the introduction of the drinks packages, who knows...

The thing about comparing the ships with drinks packages to Pando is that the majority of people on board will not be purchasing a drinks package..so will still be paying as you go for their drinks.

Do I agree with the bribery to get served qucker than fred bloggs sat next to me..if I felt that my service was truely that bad I would a complain onboard to customer services/reception..constantly..I would also complain when I get back. I would also make a note not to travel with them again..if the only way of getting served is to bribe the waiters to do their job.

Will pando roll the drinks package up into a select fare perk (lets say) . Not sure that would work very well. A lot of posters on here and FB have stated for medical reasons they cannot drink a lot if at all. Yo9u would then get the we are subsidizing the drinkers etc..as if it was included one would image the price per drink would go up to accdomodate.

I used to think that I was a moderate drinker but, having seen how much many posters drink, I've realised that I'm actually a light drinker. When cruising, I'll have a glass or two of wine with my dinner, and maybe if it's a sea day a cocktail during the afternoon, but that's about it. So purchasing a drinks package does not appeal.

We wouldn't be interested in a drinks package either. We might have a drink before dinner, occasionally after dinner, never with lunch - well not often anyway and then my husband will usually have a glass of wine with dinner and I'll often just have something like Elderflower Presse so no way would we drink enough to warrant a drinks package. Apart from alcohol I will have a double espresso with a jug of hot milk occasionally (odd maybe but that's the nearest I can get to the Nespresso I have at home). We would normally take a bottle or maybe two of Pimms on board with us - only because they don't sell it by the bottle on board but only an individual drink at a bar or a can from the mini bar the price of which is extortionate - maybe that's why they don't sell it by the bottle. I would have expected a British cruise line to sell a bottle of Pimms - a very British drink.

I used to think that I was a moderate drinker but, having seen how much many posters drink, I've realised that I'm actually a light drinker. When cruising, I'll have a glass or two of wine with my dinner, and maybe if it's a sea day a cocktail during the afternoon, but that's about it. So purchasing a drinks package does not appeal.

Its not just an alcoholic drinks package but I think that one should add in soft drinks and coffees before you make your decision as that would be the true price calculation. I seem to remember a large costa something or other costs £3.90ish, a diet coke £2.50ish etc etc. Personally I will buy 2-3 each of those a day so almost half the package accounted for before alcohol. Of course no-one has to buy anything on board at all its all individual choice.

I think that most of the posters who are worried about service levels dropping, and the need for a bribe/tips are used to American ships. Indeed, may be from the North American continent. They have not sailed extensively on P&O which styles itself as "British" and therefore does not have a tipping culture. British people do not go round with a pocketful of loose change. Certainly, as if has been said, they will only take notes, smallest of which is £5, I can't see that happening.

It remains to be seen whether the introduction of the drinks package will be detrimental to service levels, but at the level they have pitched it, it is only the minority of passengers who will take it up.

Its not just an alcoholic drinks package but I think that one should add in soft drinks and coffees before you make your decision as that would be the true price calculation. I seem to remember a large costa something or other costs £3.90ish, a diet coke £2.50ish etc etc. Personally I will buy 2-3 each of those a day so almost half the package accounted for before alcohol. Of course no-one has to buy anything on board at all its all individual choice.

Exactly, it’s more than just alcohol included but that just seems to get lost

I think that most of the posters who are worried about service levels dropping, and the need for a bribe/tips are used to American ships. Indeed, may be from the North American continent. They have not sailed extensively on P&O which styles itself as "British" and therefore does not have a tipping culture. British people do not go round with a pocketful of loose change. Certainly, as if has been said, they will only take notes, smallest of which is £5, I can't see that happening.

It remains to be seen whether the introduction of the drinks package will be detrimental to service levels, but at the level they have pitched it, it is only the minority of passengers who will take it up.

As a high loyalty member on RC(Diamond+)

Princess (Elite)

P&O(Atlantic soon to be Mediterranean)

I have seen most of what is talked about.

Totally agree, I have never had a problem getting a drink on any deck in any bar on any P&O ship...

Plenty have complained of over zealous waiters asking if you want another drink before you have finished the one you have? This does not fit with anybody getting preferential treatment for tipping?

Perhaps it will all change with the introduction of the drinks packages, who knows...

The reference to problematic service is directed at those lines we have sailed with and that have the drink package (s). It is not directed at P&O for who has yet tested the new package? The purpose of the critique was to deal with the negative side of the new venture with the hope that P&O will take heed and evaluate our experienced concerns.

Note to: The English Lady: Only when one finds the perfect cocktail

The reference to problematic service is directed at those lines we have sailed with and that have the drink package (s). It is not directed at P&O for who has yet tested the new package? The purpose of the critique was to deal with the negative side of the new venture with the hope that P&O will take heed and evaluate our experienced concerns.

Note to: The English Lady: Only when one finds the perfect cocktail

I agree,that's why I have posted some of the things that happen on other lines.

In my case that wouldn't add that much. I don't drink soft drinks and, though I would typically drink one or two small coffees a day on a sea day, using a Costa coffee card the total amount spent wouldn't add an awful lot to the cost of the alcohol.

Yes we are the same. I don't do soft drinks, only water. We have a drink before dinner, in my case, a large glass of wine and we have wine with our meal. After I've eaten, don't want alcohol. We might have a paid for coffee two or three times on a 19 day cruise.

I've always found the waiters very good at coming to see what you want or not. Usually straight away.

Totally agree.

The only thing we carry around with us when on board is our cruise cards.:)

Totally agree.

The only time I carry money on board is when we go to the loyalty lounges for an hour or two on RC.

The drinks are free for 3.5 hours nightly so I give the drinks waiter $1 per drink when they bring our drinks as that is the only cost to us.

Totally agree.

We’re travelling to to the Caribbean where the USD is widely used ashore, no problem giving waiters USD bills as tips and actually I doubt there would be many staff objecting to any currency being given as tips regardless of the itinerary or currency onboard

Can't speak about other lines but I think I recall P&O making the point in their sales information that they operate a cash free system when on board and hence you only need to carry your cruise card. Obviously it's down to individual preferences.

Can't speak about other lines but I think I recall P&O making the point in their sales information that they operate a cash free system when on board and hence you only need to carry your cruise card. Obviously it's down to individual preferences.
All the cruiselines say this because all onboard spend is done with your Seapass card.

The only time you use cash is for TIPS.

We’re travelling to to the Caribbean where the USD is widely used ashore, no problem giving waiters USD bills as tips and actually I doubt there would be many staff objecting to any currency being given as tips regardless of the itinerary or currency onboard

When in the Caribbean always ask if it is US dollars or Caribbean dollars because there are roughly 3 Caribbean dollars to 1 US dollar.