Internet on Vision

denamo

CEO says all ships as of May 1, 2016 have VOOM. Did Vision get delayed?

At one point, Royal did imply that VOOM meant O3b service. For whatever reason, they decided not to implement O3b on all ships, so they just re-defined VOOM to mean whatever internet service a ship had in place in March 2016. Voila - all ships instantly had VOOM! To my knowledge, no Vision, Radiance, or Voyager class ships have O3b service.

At one point, Royal did imply that VOOM meant O3b service. For whatever reason, they decided not to implement O3b on all ships, so they just re-defined VOOM to mean whatever internet service a ship had in place in March 2016. Voila - all ships instantly had VOOM! To my knowledge, no Vision, Radiance, or Voyager class ships have O3b service.

That is some serious marketing chicanery. :evilsmile:

• 3 weeks later...

I know this post is several days old but still wondered if any of the above or other people can advise Yes or No on basic internet services that would allow for checking email and facebook and some potential web surfing......we dont post, upload, download anything like pictures.....are you saying it is too slow for even that?

I know this post is several days old but still wondered if any of the above or other people can advise Yes or No on basic internet services that would allow for checking email and facebook and some potential web surfing......we dont post, upload, download anything like pictures.....are you saying it is too slow for even that?

Vision's internet will work for the functions you mention, it just might be signifcantly slower than you are used to at home.

Bob is right. Facebook and web surfing is fine, albeit a little slow. On the non-O3B systems, I've been able to stream Netflix and Hulu, decently enough to enjoy myself. Make sure you set the stream to the lowest quality if you can. It takes additional time to buffer, but once it does, it works.

Vision's internet will work for the functions you mention, it just might be signifcantly slower than you are used to at home.

Bob's assessment is correct. We were on Vision a little over a year ago and DH used the internet almost every day. It was slow, but eventually got the job done...all in all, just OK, not great. :)

Was very location dependent for us in a Vision JS in January. Decent speed on one side of bed and disconnects every minute or so on the other. Your speed is very dependent on the local signal strength on the ship. If you have a weak signal you get lots of packet failures and speed goes down in a hurry. Find a strong signal spot!