where do you keep your cash ??

Kristine419

I'm am so excited to be sailing on my first cruise Feb 25, 2006 on the Caribbean Princess! I will be paying for most of my trip with cash and money orders. Where do you keep the bulk of your cash while on board the ship? I cannot imagine going to the pool or to one of the shows and have to constantly worry about the wad of cash in my purse.

Also, do all the rooms have safes? And are they reliable? I haven't heard of many thefts onboard but I need to get this issue settled.

Thanks,

The Princess ships that I have sailed on have a safe in each cabin, and YOU set your access code. I have placed cash, traveler's checks, my passport, travel douments, and jewelry in the safe with no problems. Just be sure you choose an access code you won't have any difficulty remembering.

I usually don't take a purse around with me on the ship. I do have my beach bag that I take out on deck that has my book, suntan lotion, my SeaPass card, etc. You don't use cash on the ship except for extra tipping.

I agree with taking travellers' checks and putting everything in your safe. When we go ashore, we put our ID, credit card and $$ in our water wallets which are around our necks.

When we leave home we have some cash with us knowing that we will have to tip luggage handlers, etc., and will be staying at a hotel a few days pre-cruise. The majority of our money is in the form of traveler's checks. Most places will not accept money orders.

We keep everything in the safe while we are on the ship. Whenever we go ashore, we take just what we think we will need (always get small bills on the ship) and only 1 credit card.

I meant to say I'm taking cash & travelers checks...not money orders. I think I was just posting too early in the morning for me. :)

Since there is a safe in every room it looks like I don't need to worry.

I'll just look for one of those small water safe gagets to put my sea pass & tipping money in.

Thanks!

Money orders - no way. No one is going to accept them. Even if you go to a foreign bank and should they accept them, they will charge you for changing over to their currency.

Traveler's checks are the way to go with some cash for the "before" expenses. These you can cash on the ship - no fees.

Keep whatever you don't need in the safe. We always have 4 credit cards between us but when we go ashore - take only one.

Where do you find the waterproof wallets that go around your neck?

I got mine at a dive shop, but I know you can buy them on the RCI and Carnival ships.

I think I read where someone got them at Dick's Sport Shop.

I will check the dive shops around here. Thanks.

Just an FYI, they don't call them water wallets. I forget what they call them. Let me see if I can describe them. They are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I have seen 2 different thickness, one thinner than a pack of ciggarettes. Some are clear or colored and transparent. Some you cannot see into.

Good luck!

I think they are called Lanyards. I have heard that Old Navy sells them too.

I have always thought that lanyards were something that goes around your neck and hooks onto something else with a clip. But, different places call things different names.

Not all the in-room safes open with access codes. We just returned from the Carnival Victory, and the safes open with any bar code card you have and choose to set it up with. You should not use your sail & sign card, though, as ship personnel have access. We took our grocery card with us and used that...if it got lost, it didn't matter.

Archived