Haifa and Tel Aviv: Input and recommendations

manteonc

I am having a great time researching Haifa and Tel Aviv for my upcoming visit on the Prinsendam. We plan to stay close for both of our days in port and enjoy the two cities thoroughly. It appears that Haifa is best on Saturday, as more places will be open, including the local market and tons of restaurants. That would save Tel Aviv for Sunday, when its markets and restaurants open. What advice do you have about transportation from the Haifa port to Tel Aviv and back? We speak only english. I think I can put together a walking day of Haifa easily, but any specific advice about best route for a walking, market, yummy food day in Tel Aviv appreciated!

For those who have never been, I would highly recommend a tour to Jerusalem one day and the sites around the Sea of Galilee on the other. I cannot put into words how special and unique these areas are!

I do, however, understand if your heart is set on the other locations.

In Tel Aviv/Jaffa (Yafo), I love “The Old Man and the Sea” restaurant! There are 2 locations, we go to the one at the port (near the large parking area, there are other eateries in the complex, NOT the one on Kedem St further away). We have learned to get 1 main meat plate (comes w/ “salad”) and 1 “salad-only” plate and split the meat, as there is an abundance of food. There are 23 kinds of delicious “salads” (side dishes) with this meal. Absolutely love eating there. Go hungry! Double check, but I think they’re open daily from 11am to midnight.

From there, you can walk north and take stairs and be in the heart of Old Jaffa (Yafo) in 5 minutes, which is a delightful area to walk around and not far from the “flea market” and clock tower.

If you love archaeology or history, Caesarea Harbor (Maritima) is an absolutely fantastic place to visit, about 30 minutes from Haifa. http://www.caesarea.com/en/home/tourism-and-leisure/harbor/general-info/caesarea-harbor-national-park-map

Beit Hatfutsot museum in Tel Aviv is wonderful. There are a number of good museums in TA. I also enjoy the Maritime Museum in Haifa.

Hopefully others will chime in on transportation. (My journeys did not involve cruising and we now a rent car).

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Edited by syesmar
spacing

I am having a great time researching Haifa and Tel Aviv for my upcoming visit on the Prinsendam. We plan to stay close for both of our days in port and enjoy the two cities thoroughly. It appears that Haifa is best on Saturday, as more places will be open, including the local market and tons of restaurants. That would save Tel Aviv for Sunday, when its markets and restaurants open. What advice do you have about transportation from the Haifa port to Tel Aviv and back? We speak only english. I think I can put together a walking day of Haifa easily, but any specific advice about best route for a walking, market, yummy food day in Tel Aviv appreciated!

You need to do a tour to Jerusalem, it's a fascinating city, Haifa and Tel Aviv are nice but nothing much to do there. And in Haifa I would do Nazareth and the Sea of Galilea, another beautiful experience..

Yes, we have wrestled with going to Jerusalem and surrounding areas. Since we are not in a position to hire a private car and driver for the day, this would entail 9 hours or more in a bus or shared van, at least 5 or 6 of those hours would just be driving. So I have to weigh, if I may only be in Israel once, do I experience one or two nearby cities and get a feel for daily life there, or do I see the more spectacular sites but spend most of my time riding in a bus? A tough call, but since we generally loathe feeling trapped on a tour we are leaning towards seeing the spot where we land, rather than going somewhere else, despite how amazing. We may still change our minds!

manteonc,

I do understand your concerns about being on a bus for hours. If it helps, from Haifa to some places around the Sea of Galilee is only about an hour's drive. Some sites around the Sea (Lake) are just a few minutes from one another. Jerusalem is about 2 hours on the toll highway #6. The drive for both regions is beautiful, passing many areas and places of historical significance that the guide will likely point out. I would read others' reviews and also perhaps ask on the Ports of Call Board for opinions from those who have taken the bus tours, if they would do it again. Although I've never been via cruise, I can tell you I would definitely take the bus trips I've done again in a heartbeat.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip! :)

I lived in Israel for 3 years about 10 years ago while working for Uncle Sam. Note that all Jewish owned businesses will be closed on Saturday and won't open until sunset. Most start closing early Friday afternoon. Despite the long bus ride, I wouldn't miss Jerusalem - and it's worthwhile joining a tour as it's very confusing to drive, park, and even walk around. It's easy to get lost in the Old City and unless things have changed, major religious sites aren't well marked. Saturdays are less congested and the shops in the Arab, Christian, and Armenian quarters will be open. On Sunday, many of the Christian owned businesses will be closed.

The Christian sites in Nazareth and Sea of Galilee area are also impressive. I think you'd see more on a tour and see more sites in your limited time - Nazareth is very confusing for driving. You might still have time for some visiting in Haifa.

If you just have 2 days, I'd skip Tel Aviv. There are some nice museums and Jaffa is interesting, but would only do this if I had 3 or 4 days. If you like Roman and Byzantine sites, Caesarea is amazing. There are some wonderful waterfront restaurants there too. When I had to "entertain" visitors, I took them here or Jerusalem. If you go there, I'd rent a car. Driving in Israel is pretty easy. Signs on major highways have English and the majority of Israelis speak terrific English. There is public transportation, but I think that taking a bus would be confusing and the bus signs are only in Hebrew.

Tel Aviv is much more secular than Jerusalem.More places are open on Shabbos than in Jersusalem(obviously.)Gonna also recommend Jerusalem;with a caveat:

It's a good idea to not be dressed too casually,especially if you're going to visit churches/holy sites.They're just that.

SATurday is the Sababth in Israel

We don't know where you live and wha f f ood You would think yummy. MANY people in Israel speak English. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I don't have any insider knowledge, but I think what you plan to do should be based on what interests you most.

I'm not religious but am very respectful of the role religion has played (and is playing) in many places throughout history. And also have a major interest in ancient history. My number one recommendation to anyone with similar interests would be to see Jerusalem, whatever else you do. It is a unique place and has been at the epicenter of three major religions.

However, if you are more interested in how people live, it's a bit harder to get that sense in Jerusalem, it's true. Still, I think spending one of your two days there would be worthwhile.

Tel Aviv is very pleasant and may give you more of that sense of people enjoying their daily lives.

For anyone who appreciates ancient history, Caesarea is fantastic and has a beautiful setting on the water.

We spent three days in Israel last year and used Guided Tour Israel, which is a branch of Spain Day tours. Very reputable company and reasonable prices. We were in a shared van with ten to twelve people and they put the groups together. No need to advertise for tour mates.

You can also book totally private tours and if I had it to do again I would do this for Jerusalem.

Israel is so unique, so impressive and jam packed with unbelievable locales. It would be a mistake to putter around on your own, you will miss so much.

We did not tour Tel Aviv and didn’t talk to many who did.

We had one day in Jerusalem, one day at Masada and the Dead Sea and one day in the Galilee region. These are the big three regions to tour.

Haifa has lovely terraced gardens related to the Baha’i religion, but it is not a place I would spend a day. We stopped to quickly see the gardens on the way out to the other sites.

You need to get out of town and have a guide.

Tel Aviv is not a port. Most ships dock at Ashdod, about an hour from Tel Aviv. Jerusalem is also about an hour from Ashdod (by tour van or taxi).

Prinsendam docks at Haifa (about 1.5 hours from Tel Aviv).

Edited by Jimbo59
Additional info.

Tel Aviv is not a port. Most ships dock at Ashdod, about an hour from Tel Aviv. Jerusalem is also about an hour from Ashdod (by tour van or taxi).

Prinsendam docks at Haifa (about 1.5 hours from Tel Aviv).

We docked at Haifa.

I can't remember now if we were sailing in Rotterdam or Maasdam... that cruise. So many c ruises, so many ships :D

Jimbo is correct; your ports in Israel will be Ashdod and Haifa. As others have said, a day trip to Jerusalem is a must if you've never been to Israel. Seeing the actual Western (Wailing) Wall is en eye opener, as is the Old City with its various quarters, Via Dolorosa (Way of Sorrow), the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Temple Mount, too much to mention. The round trip bus ride from the port is not that bad, Have you considered taking a shore excursion from the ship?

Try using this web site for tours :viator.com .

We are hoping to do this cruise October 2020 ,if available . I was checking & Viator has good tours & are quite reliable . This is who we would select at the appropriate time . We have used them in the past & was well satisfied with their quality & pri:Dce

We hope that HAL will use a newer ship in 2020 & not one that will be 23 years old by then :)

Thank you!

We have just been in Israel - I speak the language fluently and there are some train announcements even at the airport that were solely in Hebrew.

The train services are good but when the screw up they do in typically Israeli fashion - who cares

There are limited services on Friday afternoon and Saturdays.

I concur.

Jerusalem: One of the most amazing places I have ever seen.

Tel Aviv is great if you like going out, drinking and eating, but nothing much else to be honest.

Jerusalem - the golden city.

Tel Aviv does have a lot to see these days but agree its more of a city/ beach resort.