Question about tropical storms.

rjl1977

I am going on a Western Caribbean cruise on the 22nd. It looks like Tropical Storm Issac is going straight towards Grand Cayman then will continue toward Belize and Honduras. I know Carnival will keep their passengers safe. My question is, how bad does the damage from the storm have to be to change the itenerary to another route?

I am going on a Western Caribbean cruise on the 22nd. It looks like Tropical Storm Issac is going straight towards Grand Cayman then will continue toward Belize and Honduras. I know Carnival will keep their passengers safe. My question is, how bad does the damage from the storm have to be to change the itenerary to another route?

It's rough seas also but the captain will decide.

I've booked Eastern and wound up going Western, booked Western and wound up with Eastern, had ports substituted because of damage - couldn't get to Costa Maya once and went somewhere else, same for Belize, had order of ports changed, and had a 7 day turned into a 9 day (Port of Tampa was closed). So there's a lot of possibilities.

Anything is really possible. We went to Costa Maya one year when the docks in Cancun were destroyed 2 months prior by a hurricane. Another time our stop in Grand Cayman was canceled and we had an extra day at sea. Last year we went to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman instead of St Thomas and Tortola. Another time we went to Calica. Another time we docked in La Romana for 2 days instead of visiting Santo Domingo.

Get my drift?[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Grand Cayman is a port where you tender to get off and on the ship. If the seas are rocky, then you might miss that port.

If the storm's heading toward your itinerary, Carnival will divert you to whatever area has space for the ship.

I once boarded a ship for a scheduled Western Caribbean itinerary, knowing that we were going to be diverted, but with no knowledge of where until we were literally walking on board. We went to Nassau. It's not my favorite port, but we still had a great time!

Grand Cayman is a port where you tender to get off and on the ship. If the seas are rocky, then you might miss that port.

If the storm's heading toward your itinerary, Carnival will divert you to whatever area has space for the ship.

I once boarded a ship for a scheduled Western Caribbean itinerary, knowing that we were going to be diverted, but with no knowledge of where until we were literally walking on board. We went to Nassau. It's not my favorite port, but we still had a great time!

Stating as a fact that carnival will head toward whatever port has space is a maybe at best.

Out of Galveston the options are limited. We totally miss ports quite often on the cruises i have been on and they just refund the port charges. no substitution.

there arent tons of ports that they can last minute switch to out of galveston. maybe your experience is out of florida? but im saying saying out of galveston, they just miss the port and give you a refund. i have missed pretty many ports and none were substituted.

I still remember a girl/lady at my dinner table saying, .... but i booked this cruise only for Jamaica. She planned a wedding there...and we sailed on past. no wedding. I felt sorry for her.

Edited by firefly333

Anything is really possible. We went to Costa Maya one year when the docks in Cancun were destroyed 2 months prior by a hurricane. Another time our stop in Grand Cayman was canceled and we had an extra day at sea. Last year we went to Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman instead of St Thomas and Tortola. Another time we went to Calica. Another time we docked in La Romana for 2 days instead of visiting Santo Domingo.

Get my drift?[emoji6]

....this....

and we had a extra sea day ...

if you went out of florida there are more choices, depends where you left from.

or like last COLD december they cancelled all the water activities but we still docked. 60s in Belize for cave tubing... brrrr.

tbh if im going to miss a port id just as soon have the port fees back then go to a port i dont like that is boring. i dont mind a extra sea day. happened to me on a LOT of cruises.

I still remember a girl/lady at my dinner table saying, .... but i booked this cruise only for Jamaica. She planned a wedding there...and we sailed on past. no wedding. I felt sorry for her.

I’d never plan or recommend to anyone a “destination wedding” on a cruise. We also had a group on our November 2017 cruise who had planned a wedding in St. Thomas, but we ended going the complete opposite direction towards Cozumel. They had the wedding onboard the ship.

Still something to celebrate, but boy I would’ve been beyond disappointed if I’d planned a wedding at a beautiful beach locale in the Caribbean and ended getting married in a low ceiling, neon lit lounge aboard a ship.