MSC Armonia - Nitty Gritty Questions

FGJones

I, too, have some questions about Armonia. I am close to booking one of the Cuba cruises in Feb. It would be a Fantastica OV cabin, and the only ones available to book are on Deck 9. I am seriously considering one of the last cabins aft, particularly the ones that appear to have a window out onto a public area. So, is that aft area really open to the public? There appear to be stairways in each corner...can guests use them? The MSC deck plan used for booking lists OV cabins as 139sf, until they get way far back when they start listing them as 116, But they all look the same size, and cruisedeckplans lists them all as 140sf. Any help or suggestions appreciated. I really wanted to book one in mid-March, to be cruising over my sister's birthday. but the only cabins available are quads, and although we will have the beds separated, I still don't feature those wall bunks. EM

Essiemom, hopefully someone can answer your questions. I’ve not been on this ship (or any ship) before.

I have a separate question about luggage tags. My luggage has a slot for a business card, which I use when I fly but I’ve always seen luggage tags marketed for cruises on Amazon, will I receive cards or printouts specific for this cruise to tag my bags with? I see something about personalized tags for Voyager Club members but because this is my first cruise my Voyagers Club membership isn’t high enough yet to qualify. So I’m not really sure what to do there. I also assume they take any kind of luggage so I can bring my roller bag and a garment bag without wheels?

Within a set period of time before your cruise, you will receive email notice that your documents are available and you will download them from the website. You will be able to print out luggage tags to attach to your luggage. It's been a couple of years since my last MSC cruise so I don't remember exactly. EM

So, is that aft area really open to the public? There appear to be stairways in each corner...can guests use them?

Yes and yes.

Big advantage of this aft cabins on deck 9, you are only 30 seconds away from the water, tea and coffee station. Others have to perform a half marathon to get there :cool:

I've never seen extra pillows in the cupboard on MSC ships, P, but, you're right, you can request extra pillows from the steward.

Hmm, maybe the extra pillows are there because we usually have cabins with additional bunk beds. But anyway, the steward will take care.

Also, does Armonia not have YC?

No YC, but a separate restaurant for Balcony Fantastica and above.

Yes and yes.

Big advantage of this aft cabins on deck 9, you are only 30 seconds away from the water, tea and coffee station. Others have to perform a half marathon to get there :cool:

Hmm, maybe the extra pillows are there because we usually have cabins with additional bunk beds. But anyway, the steward will take care.

No YC, but a separate restaurant for Balcony Fantastica and above.

We too have an aft OV on Deck 10. I think I saw a picture somewhere that has lounge chairs on those aft public areas? That would be awesome! Also most OV have the window at the end of the cabin with the head of the bed up to that end. On deck 10 it shows the window on the long side of the cabin. Does that mean that the bed is not butted up to the window and it would be on the side of the bed?

I just got booked armonia for March 4,2019 Cuba and I was put in 1164 which seems to be right under buffet. I requested a change as I assume it will be noisy for me when I'm trying to sleep in. Anyone have a location on deck 10 under buffet ?

Sent from my A1R using Forums mobile app

My sister just told me that she thinks the "cruise ship holds our passports and gives us a plastic ID. So we can swim and get on and off boat at ports" Can anyone speak to this?

This depends on your nationality. Especially some Asians and Africans have their passports collected for the whole trip (if it is not Schengen only) But for some ports like Havana everybody has to bring the passport everytime getting on and off.

• 2 weeks later...

New entertainment planned for Armonia and FREE Gelato and Lobster!

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/countdown-begins-to-msc-armonias-first-cruise-from-miami-to-cuba-300729576.html

MSC Armonia will also introduce a few items on board that come complimentary with the cruise experience. MSC Cruises is already known for offering some of the best gelato at sea, and now, every creamy bite comes included with the cruise, leaving guests plenty of opportunity to try every flavor on board.

In the main dining room, guests will be able to sink their teeth into cold water lobster as part of a special seafood dish at no additional cost. And, while dining on these elevated offerings, Aurea experience guests will have the option to dine al fresco, with a reserved outdoor area, featuring the open water as the backdrop.

MSC Armonia's evening theater entertainment will undergo a complete review, with an entire line-up of new performances to be introduced on board. Cruisers will marvel at a new, distinct show each evening. And, the shows will include dynamic, virtual sets with the addition of a central upstage LED screen to display a variety of vistas for each show. Shows include:

• ABYSS: A mermaid's spectacular adventures under the sea.
  • THE TIME OF MY LIFE: Inspired by the famous 80s film, Dirty Dancing, the show features songs, dances and a story that still captures audiences to this day.
  • ADDAMS FAMILY: The famous quirky family stars in this hilarious show, inspired by the satirical and ironic portrayal of the 20th century American Dream family.
  • FRENCH FOLLIES: An all-French variety show, with artists, dancers, singers that come together for an elegant and joyful show.
  • THE GREATEST: Featuring the best of Broadway, guests are taken through the most iconic pieces of musical theater.
  • ITALIAN TOUCH: True to MSC Cruises' Mediterranean heritage, this show will feature Italian music and the most unforgettable Italian songs.
Edited by Reds4life

Any guesses if seats for the local Cuban music will be reserve-able?  

I wonder if they will put out a drink package comparison guide to include the mojitos and new beers and remove the gelato as a perk listed for some of the drink plans, assuming that is the takeaway homemade ice cream listed on the comparison guide.  I don't see a gelato place and an ice cream place on the deck plans but I could be overlooking it. 

I called MSC and spoke with a woman named Luna, she was not familiar with the details of the above press release.  I read her the section about the local Cuban musicians performing on board and she said that the show will be first-come-first-seated but there will be two performances.  Then I watched the commercial in the link and it looked like it might actually take place on the deck/outside?  I will definitely be checking in with some of the people on the early cruises for more information.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:27 PM, FGJones said:

Any guesses if seats for the local Cuban music will be reserve-able?  

I wonder if they will put out a drink package comparison guide to include the mojitos and new beers and remove the gelato as a perk listed for some of the drink plans, assuming that is the takeaway homemade ice cream listed on the comparison guide.  I don't see a gelato place and an ice cream place on the deck plans but I could be overlooking it. 

It looks like there is a Gelato stand on Deck 11 near the pool next to the Lido Bar. My guess would be that the Cuban musicians would on the pool deck as well. 

Thank you.  I guess I will need to actually see a cruise ship in person to understand how there is room for any kind of enterment on the pool deck.  The deck plans make everything look so crowded.  

I did see the gelato place, I worded my comment poorly.  The drink package comparison guide lists “takeaway homemade ice cream,” what I meant was that I was guessing that what the drink package guide calls ice cream is actually coming from the gelato place because I don’t see both a gelato place AND and ice cream place on the plans.  

With gelato being included for everyone it seems to take value away from the all inclusive non-alcoholic package but they’ve still got me because I’m a slave to the  convenience of bottled water. 

On 10/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, FGJones said:

I called MSC and spoke with a woman named Luna, she was not familiar with the details of the above press release.  I read her the section about the local Cuban musicians performing on board and she said that the show will be first-come-first-seated but there will be two performances.  Then I watched the commercial in the link and it looked like it might actually take place on the deck/outside?  I will definitely be checking in with some of the people on the early cruises for more information.

So now my dilemma has increased from - go to Tropicana or Hotel International on the Saturday night - or now just stay on board and watch this show???

4 minutes ago, lovetoholiday said:

So now my dilemma has increased from - go to Tropicana or Hotel International on the Saturday night - or now just stay on board and watch this show???

I was feeling pretty stressed about the decision to do Tropicana on Saturday or stay on the ship and miss so much of the experience.  I didn't think I would actually enjoy Tropicana (I don't stay up late, I don't drink and I don't like being around cigar or cigarette smoke plus the seating sounds tight, hot and sweaty) but I also didn't want to go all the way to Cuba and not get the most of the experience.  I feel like this option relieves all that stress for me.  We will still do a daytime excursion on Saturday and Sunday but enjoy the music and dancing while on the ship, where it will be much easier to slip away early for and a shower and bed if I decide. Although I think anyone who enjoys night life should definitely enjoy it on land for the most authentic experience. 

On 10/18/2018 at 2:22 AM, FGJones said:

I read her the section about the local Cuban musicians performing on board and she said that the show will be first-come-first-seated but there will be two performances.  

I think this is a reaction about the very unsuccessful performances of "Buena Vista Social Club" musicians before. Their show was very expensive (no, I don´t remember the price) and probably the theater was 80% empty. So this sounds much better now.

36 minutes ago, FGJones said:

Are there trays and covers in the buffet? Are you able to get a plate of food and take it to your room?  Or is room service the only in-room option?

No covers but trays. Not sure if it is allowed, but many do. Unfortunately some very bad mannered and lazy people later put out the tray with dishes in front of their cabin. Totally dislike this, if I decide to have a coffee and cake in the afternoon at the cabin, I certainly return the tablet to the buffet later. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, Beamafar said:

I don't know yet what time boarding will begin. I'll have more of an idea when I see what time she docks in Miami at.

Circling back to this, if I'm reading the MSC site right, I don't think the Armonia is sailing the week before my trip so is there any way to predict what time she'll dock?

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 2:41 PM, FGJones said:

Circling back to this, if I'm reading the MSC site right, I don't think the Armonia is sailing the week before my trip so is there any way to predict what time she'll dock?

Sorry not to reply sooner - I haven't been on the site since before the changes until tonight.

What date are you sailing?