At home but should be on Empress..

Hardnas

Thanks for your update. Of course deciding to not have insurance is a personal decision but with even a routine medevac costing $25k or more I personally feel that is worth insuring. For our cruise in April it cost us $100 for two and it covers us against many eventualities.

I would think that any Empress cruise right now would be in territory covered by the USCG so an evac would be no charge. :)

I have travel medical insurance - ALWAYS.. just not trip cancellation insurance.

People don't get that trip cancellation insurance is a personal choice. We buy it every time and have used it twice on cancelled trips, so it has paid off for us. Others, like you, choose to self insure and accept that they might be out some money if they have to cancel. It is all about personal choice.:)

Hope your DD enjoys cruising with you soon.

Also check to see if your credit card includes an insurance benefit. We had to cancel a cruise last year the day before sailing, and hadn't purchased trip insurance. Then I remembered my Citi card has a trip insurance benefit. We had to send in a letter from a physician, but within 30 days, we got a full refund.
I need to check my Citi card to see if I have this benefit. If so, no more purchasing cruise insurance for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Why is it people don't purchase trip insurance, especially when they are aware of known liabilities in their family situation ?

Some people prefer to self insure. Insurance mainly makes sense for catastrophic losss. In other words losses you can’t easily absorb. Not losses that bother you to lose. For many 1-5k isn’t a catastrophic lose. The OP doesn’t seemed t worried about the loss of cruise fare.

It is a perfectly rational decision. It is the same reason it is stupid to buy an extended warranty on a $70 electronic device. If you can afford another 70 why pay 10 for the insurance.