just back from the Dawn in Bermudaful Canada ;-)

brucelegs

Despite the change in ports we had a great time. Thursday night we switched out some shorts and tank tops for a couple of long sleeves, removed the snorkeling equipment and reloaded the luggage in the car.

We were lucky enough to win a bid for a suite - 2 bedroom with balcony (lots of space for 2 from our original booked mid ship balcony) Roel was the concierge and we had the wonderful Johnathan as our butler and Mochamed as our steward. Danielle at the suite breakfast and lunch was a delight - and her ever-changing assortment of eyewear - well I need to have her hook me up with her friends in Brazil so I can be just as fashionable! All were accessible, friendly and great to get to know.

Not much of a chance to research the new ports but we did our best doing the hop on hop off pink bus in Halifax and St. John and the big pink bus in Sydney. Bar Harbor we just popped on the tender and walked through town sightseeing (if I had known earlier about the free LL Bean bus to various sites around I would have planned something more - or even booked that cool schooner cruise around the port). Halifax was our favorite followed by Sydney. I could see us making a nice little drive up there from our home in NH to see more than we could in a day. I like the hop on hop off buses since they allow you to do the whole loop then decide where you would like to go back to later in your day.

I do love the Dawn and think that Alain, the hotel director has assembled a great team who really like their jobs for the most part. It shows in everyone we had contact with - chatting with the buffet staff in the quiet of the evenings for a late night snack to the waiters/servers at the restaurants. When you think of the numerous countries, religions and languages that is quite an accomplishment.

We did not do the behind the scenes tour since we had done it before, but highly encourage all to do it at least once - the operations of a floating city and what it takes to pull it all off are quite amazing.

Weather was lovely all week for a relaxing, laid back cruise. We only did 2 shows - the crew talent show (I like the exposure they get to showcase their countries) and the PJ Wen magic show (do not miss this show if he is on your cruise)

We did specialty dining 6 of our 7 nights (thank you dining package and platinum benefits) - Cagney's, Teppenaki, Los Lobos, La Cucina and LeBistro X2)/ the new MDR menus have been out for a couple of weeks and we enjoyed our meal there as well.

Coffee is one our vices and having that Lavazza maker in our cabin made for happy mornings and peaceful evenings on our balcony - we let Johnathan know to keep us stocked well with decaf pods, cream and of course peanut M&Ms. No in suite dining or room service this cruise although the hubby should have requested a plate of the yummy banana bread.

Missing Bermuda, hurt just a bit especially since in talking with the some of the crew, they missed saying good bye to their many friends they have made in Bermuda over the years. They told them they would see them this past week to say good byes for the season and that opportunity was gone for them - so they were also greatly affected by the change to Canada, not just us passengers.

Love the Dawn and am so looking forward to our 10 day cruise in Feb. We will have specialty dining 6 out of 10 nights and will eat one night in the Asian restaurant which is our tradition. Seeing it will probably be our last cruise as we are having too many mobility challenges this will be very special. And though I don't expect any itinerary changes, if they have to be made, I am not going to cry over it or complain. I know these changes are made for a reason and the reason isn't to p@ss us off. :)

Thanks for posting your review. It's great to read positive comments from people who had their vacations turned on its head!

We've been as hot as mid-summer in Toronto this week and read in another review that you also had good weather on the coast. I'm glad for all of you who ended up in Canada instead of Bermuda that you brought the sunshine with you.

I also subscribe to the "roll with the punches" philosophy but do wonder how I would have handled such a dramatic change in itinerary.

Thank you for sharing your review with us! We were on the week before you and it could have been us that were diverted. Glad you enjoyed your cruise and rolled with those changes. The Dawn crew was so great I am sure that added to your positive experience. We agree, Alain does a great job with that crew.