Please tell me all about Eclipse!

Bellamariya

My husband and I are going to be first time Celebrity cruisers next January, on the Eclipse cruising South America and Antarctica for 14 nights and I am super excited!

We have a few cruises under our belts on P&O (Australia), RCI and Celestyal so know a little about daily life onboard but I would love to know the ins and outs of Eclipse and what we should expect from Celebrity before we arrive.

Any and all advice appreciated as I would like to get the most out of this experience :)

The Eclipse is similar to all the other S class ships in the fleet. Suggest you put aside a couple of hours and go through all the preceding posts and compare one S class ship with another. I think you will find that regardless of which ship most people will give glowing reports.

From a personal standpoint I prefer to have a surprise the first time on board a ship and spend time finding my way around. Others may disagree but there is a lot of fun in doing this

Eclipse is a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew. Here's a few tips. The free dining venues are the MDR (main dining room), Luminae (if in a suite), Blu (if in Aqua class), Ocean View Café (buffet), mast grill (upstairs from pool area) Spa Café (in solarium).

The solarium is an indoor (glass ceilinged) pool area that's adults only. (On occasions of poor weather sometime the captain will designate hours for family use.)

The specialty restaurants on board are Murano, Tuscan Grille, Qsine formerly has been replaced with Le Petite Chef, Sushi on 5. Café al Baccio is a specialty coffee area on deck 5. The desserts there yummy and free however. The Gelateria is also for a fee. (Note that there is a free ice cream area in the buffet area.

There is an area on the lawn where there are glass blowing demonstrations and classes.

If Eddy is your Cruise Director and Giuseppe is your Activities Director you are in for a fabulous time. Eddy has a very dry sense of humor. If you then luck out and have Captain Leo you have hit the trifecta! We did the trans Atlantic and the 10 day follow on this past April/May and loved it. We have cruised 25 times and Eddy was the best CD we have ever experienced. Don’t miss his “10 Things You Didn’t Know About (Subject) presentations.

Our favorite place to hang out is Cafe al Bacio. You pay for the specialty coffees and teas (have an iced tea) but the pastries are free.

If Eddy is your Cruise Director and Giuseppe is your Activities Director you are in for a fabulous time. Eddy has a very dry sense of humor. If you then luck out and have Captain Leo you have hit the trifecta! We did the trans Atlantic and the 10 day follow on this past April/May and loved it. We have cruised 25 times and Eddy was the best CD we have ever experienced. Don’t miss his “10 Things You Didn’t Know About (Subject) presentations.

Our favorite place to hang out is Cafe al Bacio. You pay for the specialty coffees and teas (have an iced tea) but the pastries are free.

I'll second that on Captain Leo and Eddie Jenkins. If they're on board and they do "Liars Club" in the evening don't miss it. They're a hoot!

I am reading this about Capt Leo and the CD Eddy. They were both on our last cruise and were the best combo ever. As you we have sailed many times on X plus other cruise lines.

The liars Club was one of the best ever. Don’t know who writes their material.

The presentations about the 10 things were fabulous and the last about life on a cruise ship should have been presented as one of the first main evening shows as it made us appreciate Eddy more, but then again we may not have understood the presentation.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for all the replies :)

Liars club sounds like a lot of fun.

One question about dining? We have late seating, can we request a table for 2?

Yes you can but you will need to get to the dining room asap after embarkation as tables for 2 are limited

I would suggest you request your desire table for 2 pre cruise. Then as soon as you board the ship go to the MDR and speak with the maitre d and make sure your request was honored. DH and I have always requested a two top table and in only one occasion was our request not honored. That one time we were glad we went to the MDR first thing since the maitre d was able to change our table to a lovely table for two.

I would suggest you request your desire table for 2 pre cruise. Then as soon as you board the ship go to the MDR and speak with the maitre d and make sure your request was honored. DH and I have always requested a two top table and in only one occasion was our request not honored. That one time we were glad we went to the MDR first thing since the maitre d was able to change our table to a lovely table for two.

That would be great :) How do l do that?

With RCI there is an email address that requests can go to.

The Eclipse is a wonderful ship! We went on our 1st Celebrity cruise in June to the Baltics on Eclipse. We liked her so much that we booked a 14 night South America cruise on Eclipse for 2020 whilst on board - a 1st for us.. What did we like best:

Sitting having a coffee and cake (wow what fantastic cakes) in Cafe al Bacio - one of our favourite places on a sea day or after a hectic day in port

The general ambiance and feel of the ship

Lots of places to hang out, it was hard to believe that there were 2500+ people on board sometimes as you could always find a quiet place

If you really want a table for 2, the easiest way is to do Select Dining. Select Dining allows you to eat anytime you wish, but you can also make reservations online ahead of your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

If you really want a table for 2, the easiest way is to do Select Dining. Select Dining allows you to eat anytime you wish, but you can also make reservations online ahead of your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

Do Celebrity do select dining well?

I love RCI but this is one thing they just can't seem to get right so these days l auto book late dining!