Formal/Elegant wear...will we be out of place?

JohnsPrincess

I wear dresses for every dinner and gowns on both elegant nights. I will even wear a gown if it’s not elegant night (but that’s usually for our usual anniversary dinner at the steakhouse). I don’t get to dress up at home so I tend to do it every night on the ship. Most people don’t dress up for the second elegant night, but I will still wear a gown. One time I was the only one. [emoji51] I didn’t mind though. What can I say I love dresses 🤷[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You won't be out of place unless someone that knows the military dress code calls you on it in public.

There is nothing wrong with wearing dress blues, mess dress, etc. to a civilian event. I spent 20 years as an officer in the military and I am very familiar with the military dress code.

Personally I would never wear any kind of military uniform on a cruise, but that is mainly because I am on a cruise to have fun and enjoy a drink or two. Any time you wear a uniform you are representing the military, which is why you should never drink in uniform on a cruise or any public location in my opinion. But if someone wants to wear a military uniform on a cruise, and hopefully act professionally when wearing it, that is their choice.

I wear dresses for every dinner and gowns on both elegant nights. I will even wear a gown if it’s not elegant night (but that’s usually for our usual anniversary dinner at the steakhouse). I don’t get to dress up at home so I tend to do it every night on the ship. Most people don’t dress up for the second elegant night, but I will still wear a gown. One time I was the only one. [emoji51] I didn’t mind though. What can I say I love dresses 🤷[emoji6]

That's my kind of cruising! (y)

There is nothing wrong with wearing dress blues, mess dress, etc. to a civilian event. I spent 20 years as an officer in the military and I am very familiar with the military dress code.

Personally I would never wear any kind of military uniform on a cruise, but that is mainly because I am on a cruise to have fun and enjoy a drink or two. Any time you wear a uniform you are representing the military, which is why you should never drink in uniform on a cruise or any public location in my opinion. But if someone wants to wear a military uniform on a cruise, and hopefully act professionally when wearing it, that is their choice.

Thank you for your service.

Phoenix Raquel, I agree with you 100%. I love dressing up, and I am NOT downing anyone, but most people don't even dress (actually they dress the same way as they do through the week) up (not in gowns, etc.) normally in a dress for church. When I leave church and I am out among other people, I get compliments right and left, for the way I look, and to me.......... it is WORTH IT!:)

Phoenix Raquel, I agree with you 100%. I love dressing up, and I am NOT downing anyone, but most people don't even dress (actually they dress the same way as they do through the week) up (not in gowns, etc.) normally in a dress for church. When I leave church and I am out among other people, I get compliments right and left, for the way I look, and to me.......... it is WORTH IT!:)

Yeah a lot of people don’t like to dress up, but I’m definitely among the minority. I use to be a tomboy growing up and I never liked wearing dresses until college. I’m obsessed with them now so I love any excuse to wear them. First I was a little nervous about it because I notice how the majority was dressed down and I didn’t want to look like I was doing too much, but I was like “screw it! I’m on vacation!” Lol. ......... Yes, compliments are nice. [emoji6]

Im with those of you who use cruising as an excuse to dress up. I love the chance to wear something special so every meal I dress up and elegant nights more so.

If you dont care to dress up that doesnt matter to me or change how I will dress .

Phoenix Raquel, I'm GLAD you feel that way.:)

I'm not bragging, as I do not always do it, but I don't dress up fancy, but sometimes I wear a dress to the grocery store, etc., and people will stop and tell me how pretty my dress is. I'm sure I will be downing a lot of people, and I don't aim to, but I feel society now in many ways is LAZY. Sorry if I step on someones toes, but that is only MY opinion. It takes WORK to look nice when going out in the public. I guess I have always tried to look nice, as I have worked out in front of the public for large corporate offices except for one year, so I guess it just comes with the territory.:)

It will be lovely, JohnsPrincess. We like to dress up - my husband in a dark suit and I wear a gown. If there are two elegant nights (longer cruises), I will wear a cocktail dress and husband will wear a shirt and tie for the 2nd one.

You will see folks dressed from the fanciest to the most casual. But you will fit right in with your ball gown and his dress blues!

I was wondering something similar. My girls and I have lots of fun this summer going to thrift stores to find formal wear that wouldn't break the bank and we wouldn't feel awful if it got ruined during travels. When I started following posts here, I have been starting to worry if we will be overdressed in our $15 gowns.

Who cares if you're overdressed! :D I do the same thing--thrift shops and eBay are my friends. I work from home and spend 90% of my time in pajamas, sweats or workout clothes, so when I take a cruise I actually enjoy putting on 'real' clothes and like to dress up. Don't care if I'm the only one in a formal. I'm going to enjoy it, take some photos and make some memories. Hope you and your girls do, as well!

And I totally get it: on the last trip I took, one of my $12 formals was soaked in red wine that I was taking onboard. TSA opened my suitcase for inspection and rearranged everything, which caused the bottle to break when it hit the baggage claim. The dress was on top of everything so very little else took the hit. Figured I would toss it in the self-service laundry when I boarded, and if the wash ruined it, oh well. It was potentially ruined anyway and I was only out about $12 plus the cost of the washer. I love that I'm not the only one who enjoys that kind of treasure hunt. ;)

I'm a fellow treasure hunter:D Was the dress saved?

I also work at home, and have discovered I feel better about myself if I wear "real" clothes. I don't always manage it, but it usually only takes a few extra minutes and then I'm more 'presentable' if someone shows up or I need to make a run somewhere.

I was wondering something similar. My girls and I have lots of fun this summer going to thrift stores to find formal wear that wouldn't break the bank and we wouldn't feel awful if it got ruined during travels. When I started following posts here, I have been starting to worry if we will be overdressed in our $15 gowns.

I love finding bargains, and I passed that love on to my daughter. She recently found me a gorgeous gold ball gown at a thrift store for $1! I plan on wearing it on our Journeys cruise in January to the “extra formal night”.