Formal/Elegant wear...will we be out of place?

JohnsPrincess

I've seen people in the MDR with cargo shorts, t-shirts and flip flops on elegant night. I don't know how someone would feel comfortable like that, but apparently after enough lido deck beers...

Your outfits sound awesome, thank you for contributing to the ambience of elegant night!

My husband and I enjoy dressing up every night for dinner and more so on elegant night. We don't have many opportunities to dress up in our "normal" life and it's a part of making our cruise special. Go for it! I'm sure you will both be stunning and get many compliments from your fellow passengers!

On one of my first cruises, we went to play a game after dinner. There were three elderly ladies who were dressed up and the cruise director said to them, "Ladies, you look nice enough for elegant night." To which one replied "Every night is elegant night!" Words to live by! Lol

Enjoy and thank you for your and your husbands service!

I was wondering something similar. My girls and I have lots of fun this summer going to thrift stores to find formal wear that wouldn't break the bank and we wouldn't feel awful if it got ruined during travels. When I started following posts here, I have been starting to worry if we will be overdressed in our $15 gowns.

I was planning on my husband wearing his Dress Blues (Army) and myself wearing a ball gown. I keep reading that people are wearing jeans/sundresses/etc. Will we be the only ones dressed up??? He just bought a new pair of his uniform shoes (that he'll need for the ball in December anyways...) because I said he had to bring it, LOL. I'd LIKE to dress up like this...but if no one else will be...

There are always plenty of people dressing up. Go for it. Tell your hubby thanks for serving.

I was planning on my husband wearing his Dress Blues (Army) and myself wearing a ball gown. I keep reading that people are wearing jeans/sundresses/etc. Will we be the only ones dressed up??? He just bought a new pair of his uniform shoes (that he'll need for the ball in December anyways...) because I said he had to bring it, LOL. I'd LIKE to dress up like this...but if no one else will be...

The most common type dress I would say, would be what you would wear out to a very nice, fancy restaurant on New Year's Eve. So you'll see a lot of cocktail type dresses, and men in dress pants with a tie. My husband doesn't really wear a suit jacket anymore, just the shirt and tie based on what everyone else wears.

However there are people dressed up more than this, and less than this. I have seen many women in long gowns, like something you would wear to highschool prom, and also men in tuxes. No matter what you wear you wont be out of place, because it's all over the board.

I have not read your posts that you have received, but I have been cruising for over 25 years. I "love" to dress up, and see others dress up as well. I am 75 (most people think I am about 10 years younger), and strangers on the ship will come up to me, and tell me how nice I look, and to me, it makes it worth the time, just to DRESS UP! Yes, anyone (jeans, sundresses) can wear these, but it takes WORK to dress up, but the rewards for me, are worth it, just from all the compliments I receive from strangers.:)

Thank you all! Some of these replies made me giggle but most made me feel better! He definitely doesn't want to wear it, LOL, but his suits just don't fit him right and *I* prefer the uniform. I'm a mean wife. But I really love dressing up!! I just wanted to make sure that it hadn't gone completely out of style...that would be unfortunate!

I love seeing the uniforms on elegant night! I've been on three cruises this year, and saw dress uniforms on each one, along with some formals (including me and my travel companion!). Yes, we're in the minority, but it's MY vacation, and it's what I want to do. I also tend to dress up a little more for dinner in the MDR each evening, because it's what I want to do. Enjoy! And definitely do go to the Military Appreciation Gathering. That's one of the things I look forward to on every trip.

Thanks and gratitude to your husband for serving, and thanks to you as well for supporting him.

Thank you all! Some of these replies made me giggle but most made me feel better! He definitely doesn't want to wear it, LOL, but his suits just don't fit him right and *I* prefer the uniform. I'm a mean wife. But I really love dressing up!! I just wanted to make sure that it hadn't gone completely out of style...that would be unfortunate!

I told my wife that I'm just bringing dress slacks and a button down shirt on our upcoming cruise. Then she corrected me and said I was bringing a suit, .........so I'm being a suit.:D

I was wondering something similar. My girls and I have lots of fun this summer going to thrift stores to find formal wear that wouldn't break the bank and we wouldn't feel awful if it got ruined during travels. When I started following posts here, I have been starting to worry if we will be overdressed in our $15 gowns.

Who cares if you're overdressed! :D I do the same thing--thrift shops and eBay are my friends. I work from home and spend 90% of my time in pajamas, sweats or workout clothes, so when I take a cruise I actually enjoy putting on 'real' clothes and like to dress up. Don't care if I'm the only one in a formal. I'm going to enjoy it, take some photos and make some memories. Hope you and your girls do, as well!

And I totally get it: on the last trip I took, one of my $12 formals was soaked in red wine that I was taking onboard. TSA opened my suitcase for inspection and rearranged everything, which caused the bottle to break when it hit the baggage claim. The dress was on top of everything so very little else took the hit. Figured I would toss it in the self-service laundry when I boarded, and if the wash ruined it, oh well. It was potentially ruined anyway and I was only out about $12 plus the cost of the washer. I love that I'm not the only one who enjoys that kind of treasure hunt. ;)

There may be a few but most are not.

Been a long while since I cruised, but my wife will always make us dress up for elegant night. It's ok with me. Outside of wedding and funerals I don't have a use for a suit very often, but she loves it. It's your vacation, so if every other person on the boat is in shorts and a pull over shirt, you shouldn't be uncomfortable dressed how you want. With that being said, there will be plenty of people dressed up for the occasion.

I/we would honored to be in the company of anyone wearing class A's and their beautiful wife

My DH and I have always dressed up, including our times on Carnival. This last trip, we arranged for the portrait studio to do a private sitting. Actually she took us all over the ship at sunset. I will treasure those photos. We had people look at us like we must have been famous or something. I'm not a big photo taking (loving) person, but found it easy to pose with such great back-drops. We cruise again just before Christmas and again I will well a formal and DH his tux. My adult sons will wear dress pants, dress shirts and ties, since they don't own tuxes, but we will all have photos taken together. I bought the Pixels package when it came out before they made the changes. Have fun with your dress up nights.

You won't be out of place unless someone that knows the military dress code calls you on it in public.

I have been on several cruises and see people dressed up in formal wear. I actually enjoy renting a tux and wearing it to these evenings but that is me. It is something I do not get a chance to do often so I enjoy it. I would say do what makes the evening the best for you. If you like to dress up then go for it. There will be others there that will also be dressed in formal gowns, tuxedos etc. There will also be others that are not dressed so fancy but that is ok too. Please thank your husband for his service to our country. I personally think there is no sharper formal wear than military dress blues. I always enjoy seeing the military personnel when they wear them and am sure others on the cruise will enjoy it too.

I never ever get to dress up and if I do I always overdress, but that is ok.

When I grew up you wore dresses to school and nicer dresses to church. Now everything is very casual so if I have a chance to dress up, Im going all out. Fortunately my husband loves to dress up as well. If other cruisers dont want to go so formal that is ok. I will enjoy feeling like a princess one more time.

You won't be out of place unless someone that knows the military dress code calls you on it in public.

There is no dress code against a military person on leave wearing dress blues to a formal event. Now if he wants to go to the bars and stuff after he may want to change.

I love seeing the uniforms on elegant night! I've been on three cruises this year, and saw dress uniforms on each one, along with some formals (including me and my travel companion!). Yes, we're in the minority, but it's MY vacation, and it's what I want to do. I also tend to dress up a little more for dinner in the MDR each evening, because it's what I want to do. Enjoy! And definitely do go to the Military Appreciation Gathering. That's one of the things I look forward to on every trip.

Thanks and gratitude to your husband for serving, and thanks to you as well for supporting him.

You're right!! I WANT to dress up...it's fun!! So we will!! Can you tell me about the gathering?? I can't remember hearing about that before...but it's been years!

Going on the Breeze in March and I'll be wearing a floor length evening dress/gown on both formal nights. My husband and son will be wearing jackets and ties, so not quite as dressed up as me, but I LOVE to dress up and don't often have an occasion for it at home.

I still wear a tux on both elegant nights. It's mine, I paid for it and I can't see it just hanging in the closet. I have several different ties/vests so I wear one color one night and the other the second night.

On one cruise, we were sitting in a booth and an older gentleman came by and tapped me on the shoulder. He said that he was glad to see that some people still dress up. I've even had people in the elevators compliment me on the way I was dressed.

Your husband has every right to proudly wear his uniform. And we thank him for his service and you for your support of him.

We have seen many military men in their dress uniforms. To me, it seems that more continue to dress up than not. Sure there are some who will show up in jeans but, that is okay. It is their choice. We dress up but, not formal gown and tux. We enjoy dressing up a bit and going to the dining room. Thank you for your service!