embarrassing question: anybody SCARED?

MostlyHarmless

Maybe this belongs in the "first time cruisers" forum, but I know many people who travel a lot and are still nervous about flying, or speak a lot but are still nervous in front of crowds. I know logically that cruising is safer than riding a carousel. But really, I love the sight of the ocean but am scared of it, the volume and the power and the vastness and the indifference. I'm going anyway and will have a GREAT TIME NO MATTER WHAT, but are there other closet aquaphobes who have found their peace? How do you deal with the residual fear? The danged thing might sink!

My interim plan is to drink lots of martinis and pretend I'm in Jamaica!

Never thought I was an aquaphobe before but our last trip to Hawaii changed that. The first night out of San Diego was rough and doors were slamming and walls were creeking and I actually wanted to sleep with my life jacket on. After that I was fine but I would not want to be in any of the really rough seas.

I've had moments where I swear I'll never, ever set foot on a cruise ship again. Then, the next day I'm fine.

In reality, the ship is so huge, if the water surrounding you is frightening, you don't even have to see it if you don't want to. Depending on the ocean, you may feel little or no motion and may feel as though you are in a hotel instead.

My favorite moments of cruising are walking the decks at night, looking down at the ocean passing by in the moonlight, it's stunning. It's also very quiet, hardly anyone is up there at night. Take your martini up there and look over the side, if you dare. You'll probably fall in love with the ocean at that moment.

I haven't traveled much and flew for my first time last year. I too love to look at the water but it does scare me a bit as does flying. My husband is petrified - he has never flown and can't swim so honestly he doesn't even want to go but agreed to make me happy. I keep assurring him that he's going to LOVE it and I keep Praying that everything goes ok with no scary moments on the plane or boat - if so we'll never go anywhere again! :eek:

When & where are you going?

I have nver really thought about it..The way I look at it if my time is up it's up..I know that if the boat does sinks there are enough spaces in the life boats for all on board..

So just try to put it out of your mind and enjoy your cruise and remember:

The worst day out at sea is still better then the best day at work!!!!:)

Flying is kinda scary to me. It never dawned on me that I might be scared on the cruise, but it is a strange feeling looking out on a sea day and seeing nothing but water. But I got over that in a hurry, and loved it! Can't wait till the next one now. It will be even longer!:D

We came through 30-foot seas and 50 knot winds the last day of our Christmas cruise on the Maasdam. I thought it was fun, but a lot of people turned green. I did not see anyone wearing a life jacket in public. Perhaps those people stayed in their cabins.

There was a long article in The Atlantic Monthly about the sinking of the ferry Estonia. Here's a web version of the events. I still go on cruises even after reading about what can happen.

Your fear isn't as uncommon as you might think. I used to have that same fear- I would get the creeps thinking about how far I was from shore, how deep the water was. I used to take cruises that stay within sight of land ( you can do that in the Caribbean and Europe. Now I am fine with any kind of cruising - but I always feel a bit better to see the lights on the shoreline.

I am flat terified to fly. Tough muffins tho. I did it for work for years. I love it and am scared all at the same time. I was in an "Air incident" once and had a terrifying emergancy landing. I had to learn to work through it.

My 14 yo dd had a bad incident on a pontoon boat a couple of years ago (we were swamped by a rouge wave) and is now afraid of boats. I was concerned about how she would handle a cruise. She was fine as long as she didn't look over the side and see the water. But after a couple of days a very nice 16 yo boy (who she still IMs!) convinced her to look over the edge. After that she could look at the water with the rest of us. She still didn't like the small tenders, and in fact cried all the way to shore--fortunately everyone else on the tender was very sympathetic and she even got some hugs when we made it to shore. She's really looking forward to this year's cruise (or is she looking forward to more 16 yo boys?)

I was scared to death just before my first cruise! On my first sea day, I wasn't sure if I should open the curtains for fear that I might freak out. I did open the curtains then walked as high as I could to get the full view. It wasn't scary at all. And to think that I could have missed out on the best vacation of my life because of a fear of water!

Two of the people in our cruise group are not good at swimming. In fresh water, DW struggles and will even panic but she can flip over and float. A friend cannot swim at all in fresh water. They both snorkle like crazy in the salt waters of the Caribbean. No fears at all.

I did 27 years in the Air Force and went through a number of events. Several decompressions, on one drastic maneuver I was tossed to the ceiling and back down on a row of oxygen tanks (roughed up the elbows a bit), and rode a plane down in the arctic in January '56 (landed on a iced landing strip at a radar site and, while we were all safe, it was the doom of the airplane).

I still love to fly and have done 18 cruises with another scheduled in August. DW and I also skydived from 9,000 feet in October 2004.

Follow the Nike shoe slogan, "Just Do It."

I'm taking a cruise Sept. 2006 during hurricane season to Bermuda. I just read about the cruise ship that got hit with a 90 foot rouge wave and now I'm terrified. I also get motion sickness terribly. I'm trying so hard to stay positive because I really want to try something different but my mind keeps going over all the "things that could happen". I feel like such a chicken - it's embarrassing but I'm still going to do it.

I watched the movie "A Night to Remember" when I was 7 or 8 years old and what I saw was a beautiful ship operated by people who should have known better. The story bothers me now as an adult more than it did then. Married a guy who sailed the Great Lakes often - vessels from a 12' sailboat to the steamer "South American." (Definitely dating ourselves!) Two years ago I went for my first cruise ship - NYC to Canada - and was hooked. We've been out on Lake Erie on a 32' motorsailer in bad weather, and this past summer rode out Hurricane Dennis on Carnival Conquest in the Gulf of Mexico. Got a bit queasy on Conquest, but was never afraid. The captain did a great job telling us what was likely to happen and keeping us away from the worst of the storm. Now flying - that's a different story for me. Might as well sedate me before the flight:eek: However, I'll fly if I have to - especially if the flight is taking me to a cruise:D

mostlyharmless,

I see you are sailing soon on Pride. We had a great time on that ship with our kids and grandkids. I think if it had been daylight during that one rough time I would have been ok but in the dead of night with the sliding doors banging open and shut (we had the FV aft stateroom on Infinity) it makes it twice as scary. And it didn't bother everyone. I have heard that these ships can take quite a lot so relax, keep your life jacket nearby, and have a great time. And I take major tranquelizers to fly.

I can't even float but I am ADDICTED to cruising! A friend of mine refuses to cruise because she watched Titanic and now she's a big chicken. I have to drink/take medication before I can fly but you can't keep me off of a cruise ship. Now a boat in the bay or on a lake is a different story. No way for me.

Julie

I knew one person at work who suffered from claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces). Strangely, she also had a mild case of agoraphobia (fear of open spaces). At work she always had a small vial of anti-anxiety medication attached to her badge lanyard just in case she should need some at any time.

She went on a cruise some years ago and brought her meds with her. I remember her saying that something came up with one of her anxieties and that she had to visit the ship's doctor. She got something and then she was fine.

For most people it is the anticipation of something that causes the anxiety, the event itself usually goes by quickly or they adjust to it. I would go on a trip with the attitude that it is all going to be a new and fun experience and keep those "happy thoughts" in mind.

Mark

I'm so scared of heights. Surprisingly I didn't have any problems. Granted I didn't get right up to the railings, but I felt pretty safe and secure. I can feel a little claustrophobic to but only if I'm really being crowded or don't feel like I have room to breathe without knowing that the situation is going to change soon. And in situations like that, I don't freak out or anything, I just get a little anxious. I'm sure no one notices but me.

So don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll be fine. I don't think it's an irrational fear at all.

I live in the mountains but have major problems with heights including driving on steep mountain roads. I've flown a lot but make my peace with my maker on every take off. Actually I love to fly. I'm just scared to death.

But put me on water and I think I'm invincible. I think it's all my days as a child fishing and boating on the Mississippi River just north of Memphis where the river is a mile or so wide, 100 ft. deep and very swift. I always felt safe there and have transferred that feeing to being on any water.

Also, years ago I learned that when a flight hit turbulence I would just close my eyes and pretend that instead of "air waves" I was floating along on water waves. It worked every time--well, almost. :D

I don't know about you guys, but I booked a cruise for this year's hurricane season specifically so I'd get bounced around. I was brought up on small boats and big waves, so these "smooth as hotel lobbies" cruises are nice but dull.

DH and I will be doing our 8th and 9th cruises in ' 06. I have always had a healthy respect for the sea, but never any sense of fear. Months after the young man from NE went missing on the NCL honeymoon cruise, I'm beginning to have 2nd thoughts about the safety of cruising. I was aware of his 7/5/05 loss and we did a 14 day HAL cruise in Aug. '05. No fears on that trip - but the last few months as more of what probably happened surfaced as well as the cruise line's less than assuring response, one wonders....

Kay

Archived