TSA Pre Check Question

Luvcrusn

We've had this for several years. I know it's use is for domestic air travel security clearance and think I know the answer but wanted to check. DH and I recently renewed our passports, is there any need to advise TSA of new numbers? I'm thinking no since it doesn't impact international travel and immigration like Global Entry does, but just domestic air pre-flight security.

We've had this for several years. I know it's use is for domestic air travel security clearance and think I know the answer but wanted to check. DH and I recently renewed our passports, is there any need to advise TSA of new numbers? I'm thinking no since it doesn't impact international travel and immigration like Global Entry does, but just domestic air pre-flight security.

We didn't.

TSA precheck uses your trusted traveler number, not your passport number. You can log into their system (login.gov) and add your passport number to your profile but for flying.... they are not connected. What matters is getting your trusted traveler number on each reservation you make. I add it to my profile with the airlines I use most often, which automatically adds it to my reservations. Same with Passport number, update it on your profile with each airline although they will still ask you to enter it when you make international reservations.

You would change to your new trusted traveler number on your profile on Airlines and anywhere you provide it to insure you continue to have TSA precheck show up, wouldn’t you?

The Trusted Traveller Number is unchanged. Only passport number changed.

The Trusted Traveller Number is unchanged. Only passport number changed.

Good to know. My Global Entry isn’t up for renewal for two more years.

If anyone is renewing, Global Entry is only $15 more for five years than TSA Precheck. Additional perks in airports flying into the US are very worth it.

If anyone is renewing, Global Entry is only $15 more for five years than TSA Precheck. Additional perks in airports flying into the US are very worth it.

The last couple of cruises we had, there was als a GE line at Port Everglades. It was beautiful to speed through and be led to the front line while being glared at by people standing and waiting.

My next cruise, we have early flights out of FLL (10:30am). We plan to enjoy the GE to pass through CBP and through Pre-Check. Makes the early flight possible. The later flight didn’t get us home until after midnight.

Port Everglades has had Global Entry since 2016. Our first use was on Harmony TA. Likely available before that. It is great to use.

We also have the free Mobile Passport loaded on our phones. When we get in the terminal, we get in whichever line is shorter, and we have had times the lines were actually together. Everyone should use the free one, but we love the TSA precheck that Global Entry provides, and you have GE Fast track through major airports coming back into the US

We love Global Entry. I just renewed my passport and it did not effect TSA recheck or Global Entry. They only lace I had to fix was my profile in American Airlines. I could not check in on line because my passport number did not match what was in my profile. Once I changed it in my profile I had not issues on the return flight

We just flew from Lima to FLL. With Global entry we were through customs and in our hotel room, before our friends on the same flight cleared customs. Global entry is wonderful.

You might want to read the info on updating your new passport number on the US Customs Global Entry site. We renewed our passports last year and had to update Global Entry/ TSA information for a European flight.

Also several non-American airlines are now using TSA pre-check from American airports.

We just did a British Air trip to/from London in August and were able to do TSA going and Global Entry returning to Orlando. In 2017, we could not use the TSA lines in Orlando to fly to England on BA. A very nice change in only 1 year...there was absolutely no one else in the TSA line when we approached on our way to board our London flight this year. No shoes off, no 311 bag out...1 minute to get through! And with Global Entry coming back, no wait in line, and we were through way before the luggage even arrived!

I tried to put the link here, but it would not paste...sorry. Just google " new passport number and Global Entry" and it comes up.

Speaking of Global Entry, unlike pre-check GE is tied to your specific Passport. When you renew your Passport you must log onto your GE account and update the Passport info. Otherwise, GE will not work when you try to use a kiosk.

Hank

You can have TSA pre check without a passport since the passport is not needed for domestic flights so I don't know where you would update TSA pre check with a new passport #. Global Entry requires a passport and you need to update that when you renew your passport.

We have had TSA pre check for a few years now, expires in May 2019, and just got GE. We were told we did not have to update our TSA #'s with the airlines until May since our current TSA# is still valid.

Speaking of Global Entry, unlike pre-check GE is tied to your specific Passport. When you renew your Passport you must log onto your GE account and update the Passport info. Otherwise, GE will not work when you try to use a kiosk.

Hank

I do not believe this is true. I just took two trip to Belize after renewing my passport and the new one worked just fine at the GE kiosks. I did not change anything in their records, as I actually had no idea how to do that.

And it includes TSA precheck for that fee as well.

I do not believe this is true. I just took two trip to Belize after renewing my passport and the new one worked just fine at the GE kiosks. I did not change anything in their records, as I actually had no idea how to do that.

It’s absolutely a requirement. You do it through your online account (formerly GOES). Amazed yours worked.

Even though we have tsa for several years sometimes we do not get it, will go to global entry next year.

For $15 more GE is a much better value. You get TSA Pre check to streamline airport security lines and GE to streamline immigration and customs when flying internationally or at certain cruise ports.

I booked with United using miles from Dulles to Vienna, and they booked me on an Austrian Airline flight. Going thru Dulles, no TSA precheck for me as Austrian Airlines doesn't participate in TSA precheck. Bummer.
It's my understanding that TSA precheck is only for domestic air travel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No longer true, but not all airlines participate.

Dulles airlines are:

American Airlines

Delta Air Lines

Southwest Airlines

United Airlines

Air Canada

Alaska Airlines

JetBlue Airways

Aeromexico

Etihad Airways

Lufthansa

Avianca

Virgin Atlantic

Emirates

Southern Airways Express

Turkish Airlines

Copa Airlines

Korean Air

All Nippon Airways

Air France

Brussels Airlines

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

British Airways

Porter Airlines

Scandinavian Airline

Unfortunately, Austrian Air is not on the list. And it's the actual airline flown, not code share, that matters. Couldn't pre-check the one time I had to fly BA (on an American codeshare).

I usually start my international trips from a local airport so I can use the pre check there, but I do believe it covers international flights, too.

If no one has already mentioned it, be aware that having TSA Pre Check is not a guarantee that it will be in effect for every flight you take. I discovered this in Peoria of all places when my wife waltzed through and I was stopped because my ticket did not show the pre check even though I had been using it for years. The TSA agent said it is randomly not active on every ticket , so be aware you might have to use the regular line.

Edited by BosoxI

I usually start my international trips from a local airport so I can use the pre check there, but I do believe it covers international flights, too.

If no one has already mentioned it, be aware that having TSA Pre Check is not a guarantee that it will be in effect for every flight you take. I discovered this in Peoria of all places when my wife waltzed through and I was stopped because my ticket did not show the pre check even though I had been using it for years.

Sometimes the precheck line takes as long or longer. On a recent flight from Ft Lauderdale to Philly DH and I had precheck and the couple we were travelling with didn't. We got through security to meet our friends who'd been sitting at the gate waiting for us for 15 minutes. But usually it's a benefit.