TSA Pre Check Question

Luvcrusn

I usually start my international trips from a local airport so I can use the pre check there, but I do believe it covers international flights, too.

If no one has already mentioned it, be aware that having TSA Pre Check is not a guarantee that it will be in effect for every flight you take. I discovered this in Peoria of all places when my wife waltzed through and I was stopped because my ticket did not show the pre check even though I had been using it for years.

Once I printed my boarding pass using my son's computer, and the TSA preckeck didn't show up on the printed page. I had to get it reprinted at the airport.

It’s absolutely a requirement. You do it through your online account (formerly GOES). Amazed yours worked.

Hmmm.. After it worked I did ask the customer agent and he said it was not necessary... I will go in a change it, but I do not think it is really necessary according to the Customs people at DFW and MIA airports.

Sometimes the precheck line takes as long or longer. On a recent flight from Ft Lauderdale to Philly DH and I had precheck and the couple we were travelling with didn't. We got through security to meet our friends who'd been sitting at the gate waiting for us for 15 minutes. But usually it's a benefit.
Know what you mean. It is kind of like the priority check-in lines at cruise ports, where so many passengers have priority of one kind or another that sometimes it is fastest just to use the regular, non-priority line.

At airports, large groups of business travelers with pre-check may all show up at one time, making the regular line preferable.

(We noticed this especially for early Monday morning flights.)

At cruise ports we often arrive late when there are no lines at all and we can walk right through.

But that is just personal preference as we hate hanging around in cruise terminals waiting for boarding to begin, or boarding at peak times with the huge mob.

One time at an airport I was the one who got "randomly selected" for the extra screening when I was on the pre-check line.

Who? Can you really mean sweet, harmless, innocent looking me? :eek:

Edited by varoo

Good to know. My Global Entry isn’t up for renewal for two more years.

If anyone is renewing, Global Entry is only $15 more for five years than TSA Precheck. Additional perks in airports flying into the US are very worth it.

I got my GE relatively early. They are for 5 years and I'm on my 2nd GE with 3 years left on it. TSA precheck is nice, but it only works with US carriers. We like flying British Airways. I was told to book with American Airline for British Airways flights that way you get the TSA precheck. The GE program can help zip through customs in large airports in the States like LAX to make a connecting flight.

Global Entry is now called Trusted Travel Program and has a different address, https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/ If you haven't updated your "Global" profile or need to update your new Passport number since the name and WEB address change you will have to create a new login in order to access your profile and update your Passport number.

I've copied in the FAQ for Passport renewal updates:

I received a new passport do I need to apply again for a new Trusted Traveler Program membership?

Your Trusted Traveler Program membership date is not dependent on the passport expiration date. Membership will remain valid and active, even if the passport expires. However, you will not be able to use your membership at kiosks and land crossings until you update your new passport in the system.

If you are an approved Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI) member, you may update certain documents through the TTP website. Once logged in to the TTP website, click on Update Documents on the right hand side of the Dashboard page. Please note this option will not be available if you have a pending application. Follow the prompts to update your document.

If you are not a member yet, this information can be updated at your enrollment interview. Please be sure to inform the CBP officer of the changes that need to be made.

Ramona

Edited by NotThePest_Too
Make instructions clearer

FYI - My wife and I decided to get TSA pre-check which is $85 per person for 5 years. Until we found out that if you get a NEXUS card (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus) you get TSA precheck and Global Entry (in addition to making crossing the Canadian/U.S. border easier) for $50 per person for 5 years.

We live in Michigan so it may not be for everyone because you need to have a face-to-face interview with US Customs to get it. Canada is practically next door to where I live so it makes it convenient for us.

Global Entry is now called Trusted Travel Program and has a different address, https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/

The name Global Entry is still Global Entry, which is one of four programs listed under the header Trusted Traveler Programs at the link you gave above. Yes, there’s a new page, but the name GE didn’t change. From your link..,

a22c922880f70cb062753b2dd48df47b.png

I think you skipped over post #23 above. Or you can go to the source https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines and you will find that BA now participates in the pre check program.
Yes I did miss that. Great news I'm going to have update my BA account.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Really? I give the actuall link (if someone used the old link they would get a "dead" page) and you squabble over the name, Trusted Traveler! Note to myself. Ignore this Handle.

Ramona

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Agree with your sentiment. I came to that conclusion on Page 1 before seeing your post.

Last year we had to renew our passports and had to update our info on the Goverment site in order to use Global Entry returning. It was super easy to do.

Last year could NOT use precheck on Brit Air to London, but DID just this past month, which was wonderful. It was marked on our boarding pass in August and in Orlando it was a breeze...no shoes off, no 311 bag out of carryon and no one else in line. Takes just a minute to update the new number online. Coming back in to Orlando using GE got us thru in 5 minutes and beat our luggage.

It's my understanding that TSA precheck is only for domestic air travel.

No, if you have it you can use the Precheck line for any trip, provided your airline partners with the TSA precheck program and your airport is large enough for TSA to staff a precheck line.

Note: This assumes travel departing FROM the US. TSA is a US government agency, so they only handle security at US airports, i.e. you won't see a TSA precheck line at airports in other countries, regardless of what airline you are flying. (And yes, I've seen posts where someone asks if they'll be able to use the Precheck line in Rome or Paris, for instance so I know there are people who don't understand this.)

No, if you have it you can use the Precheck line for any trip, provided your airline partners with the TSA precheck program and your airport is large enough for TSA to staff a precheck line.

Note: This assumes travel departing FROM the US. TSA is a US government agency, so they only handle security at US airports, i.e. you won't see a TSA precheck line at airports in other countries, regardless of what airline you are flying. (And yes, I've seen posts where someone asks if they'll be able to use the Precheck line in Rome or Paris, for instance so I know there are people who don't understand this.)

Your answer kind of confirms mine, but is worded much more clearly. Precheck is for flights originating in the US. Thanks for the translation.:)

Both myself and wife have GE, but we are taking our 13 year old grandson to Alaska next year. The cruise ends in Vancouver, a foreign port. He has a passport that he used when we took him to the Caribbean. He is listed on our reservation on both flights and the cruise.

What should we expect at immigration lines?

Hal

I am Canadian so we are members of Nexus which falls under GOES program and is great.

Our card says expiration date on it and we are expected to renew about 6 months before our birthday.

Probably totally different from the GOES program but I tell you going through Newark a couple of years ago it made about an hours difference.

We do the same on Known Travelers Program for TSA Pre-Check.

W

cruisedafewtimes

Both myself and wife have GE, but we are taking our 13 year old grandson to Alaska next year. What should we expect at immigration lines? Hal

I would suggest a notarized letter from the parents allowing him to go with you. :)

Both myself and wife have GE, but we are taking our 13 year old grandson to Alaska next year. The cruise ends in Vancouver, a foreign port. He has a passport that he used when we took him to the Caribbean. He is listed on our reservation on both flights and the cruise.

Hal

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/consent-travel-grandparent-108749.html

Hal

You can expect to wait with all the regular joes who do not have GE, unless you get your grandson enrolled before you cruise. There's no age limit on GE or NEXUS - so regardless of how tiny your (grand)kids are, they ALL need to be members or you cannot use the special lanes (the required interviews for infants are apparently extremely entertaining!!!) I know several folks who have been caught out by this, assuming that their minor children don't need to be enrolled and then trying to use NEXUS lanes - it has never ended well for them, and can even result in you losing your own Trusted Traveler status!

NB: this will only be relevant in Vancouver at the airport - GE does nothing for entry to Canada so arrival at the pier it's the same for everyone, but if flying home from YVR you would be able to use the short Security line and the GE kiosks IF you get your grandson enrolled. Oh, and the actual physical card is required - since we don't have TSA up here, your boarding pass alone does not get you into the short queues, you have to display your GE card.

When the ship arrives in Vancouver, I believe you will clear Canadian immigration at disemabarkation. GE will not help you, as you are entering Canada, not the US.

When you arrive at the airport to fly home, Vancouver (same for all major airports in Canada) will have pre-clearance for US immigration and customs. You and your wife would be able to use GE here, but your grandson cannot, so in essence neither can you, as you certainly won't be sending him into a separate line by himself! GE benefits are not bestowed upon one's travel companions, regardless of age.

When your PreCheck is expiring, does TSA send a heads up that one needs to renew?

I'm not sure if they do (I have GE); however, with calendars on our phones, computer and tablets, I have the expiration date of both my Passport and GE on my computer/phone with a one-year alert date reminder set to alarm/pop-up.

Ramona