Internet

love2cruisegirl1

While on the Regal our internet was good. My only problem was that I could receive emails but I could not send. Has anyone had this problem. Managers at the Internet Cafe had no idea why or any suggestions on how to get it to work.

One possibility occurs to me, but it's "way down in the tech weeds":

You didn't say "web browser", so I'm assuming you're using an ISP's email server.

You send outgoing email to your ISP's email server by specifying its internet

address. That gets it to the computer; you get it to the proper program running

on that computer by specifying a "port". The standard port for outgoing

unencrypted email is port number "25", but for anti-spam reasons, ISPs now

usually chose a different port for that purpose. Mine uses "465".

Assuming your laptop/tablet/whatever works at home, look in the setup of your

email client for "outgoing server" or "SMTP Server" port number. Then ask the

Internet Café folks if the ship's router blocks traffic that specifies that port.

Alternatively, most ISPs provide web access to your email... ;)

haboob's description is a bit techy so if you don't understand about port numbers, servers or routers with blocked ports, your best bet is to use a email service like yahoo or gmail in a browser of your choice. They do not rely on the more complicated set up in our example the AT&T email server. We have AT&T and use their email service at home but they also allow entry into our email from yahoo which uses a lot less bandwidth making it simpler and quicker. You might talk to your ISP provider about the problem as they may have a solution.

While the internet cafe crew is good, I have found in the past that they really don't know much beyond basic use of the internet on the ship. When I start asking about blocked port numbers etc their eyes tend to glass over.

You might try using mail2web.com which works with most e-mail providers. This free service lets you access your e-mails and respond or send new e-mails using your normal e-mail address,

Try it our on your home computer to be sure it works for you.

You might try using mail2web.com which works with most e-mail providers. This free service lets you access your e-mails and respond or send new e-mails using your normal e-mail address,

Try it our on your home computer to be sure it works for you.

Standard caution: "If it's free online, you are the product".

I had a somewhat similar problem earlier this month on the Regal. I have all of my emails (from three different addresses) automatically upload into the “Mail” area of my iPad. Usually, I not only read emails there, but can also send from that area. On the Regal, I had no problem receiving all emails ... but I couldn’t send. So, I went onto the Safari browser and logged into my cox.net email account. Problem solved. I could send from there with no issues.

Several years ago, I had an issue using my main email service Roadrunner (Time Warner/Spectrum) on a Princess cruise (Sapphire P 2013). I could also could not send email. It was some kind of "Techie" thing. I waited till we got to Hawaii and used my cell to access and send emails. I then created a Yahoo account that I later switched to Gmail and have never had a problem. Interesting thing though is that on the CB (2015) and for my subsequent Princess cruises I am now able to access (send/receive) my Roadrunner email via the web or by Apple mail on my laptop or IPad.....:):):)

Bob