Port of Miami: How early is too early?

coastalmom

We are sailing on the Magic out of Miami in December. I have the earliest arrival appt. of 11:30 and we are in a suite with FTTF. (I know, I know, I don't need FTTF if I have a suite. But, suites don't get early access to the cabins or the dedicated line at guest services and those are very important to me.) I have never sailed carnival out of Miami but I have always been on board at or by 11:30 in other ports. Does the port not open to embarkation until later or should I go ahead arrive at 10 or 10:30?

We are sailing on the Magic out of Miami in December. I have the earliest arrival appt. of 11:30 and we are in a suite with FTTF. (I know, I know, I don't need FTTF if I have a suite. But, suites don't get early access to the cabins or the dedicated line at guest services and those are very important to me.) I have never sailed carnival out of Miami but I have always been on board at or by 11:30 in other ports. Does the port not open to embarkation until later or should I go ahead arrive at 10 or 10:30?

I would believe 11:30 might be the earliest they would start boarding. I travel out of Miami a lot but usually plan arrival 12-1:00. They they have debarkation and turnover to prepare for. Normally, rooms are not available until about 1, but Suites & VIFP usually turn over fairly early. Lunch served till 3:00. I’m Platinum and have been able to drop my backpack/carryon into my stateroom as early as 12.

Remember FTTF only gets you ON the ship earlier (to start spending) not necessarily in your room. Not something I’d pay extra for.

"

Lunch served till 3:00"

not sure what you are referring to, but guy's is open until 6, the deli is open until 11, and the pizza is 24 hours.

The day of embarkation. Food services all begin to close at 3 for preparation for muster drill and reopens afterwards.

I have sailed out of Miami several times this year and priority boarding has started as early as 10:40 AM and as late as 11:10 AM. We sailed on Victory earlier this month and priority boarding started at 11 AM.

FTTF DOES get you in room at embarkation. That's the main reason why many people get it.

Thanks for the reply. FTTF started after I was platinum so I never needed to access my stateroom. However, I have sailed with others who have had it and their staterooms were still unavailable being cleaned. They were allowed to drop items, but the stateroom itself was not ready. It’s happened more then once.

We also bought FTTF although we have a family Suite on the horizon at Christmas. $90 is a very small percentage of the peak fare we're paying to cruise at Prime season. Getting in the room and dropping our bags and soda off 2 hours early seems worth it to me.

We also have an 11:30 arrival time. We plan to ignore it and be there before 11.

Hi

Just a reminder for all that forget.

With priority status you can arrive at the dock as early as you choose, you don't have to follow the check in time given to you. If the shore staff is there they will check you in. However, you cannot board the ship until the ship is "ready" for boarding. If there are any delays, or people taking too long getting off the previous cruise, it could be later than 11:00-11:30.

hope this helps

They open for check in around 1030 not embarkation.

Remember you are picking a check in time, not embarkation time. Go over to some of the Carnival FB pages and read a bunch of complaints from people who were delayed getting on the Glory today. It's amazing how many think the time on your boarding pass is what time you are scheduled to board when in all reality it doesn't have anything to so with when you will actually get on the ship. Embarkation commences when and only when the ship is cleared by customs and the crew onboard give the final go ahead. So if you get there early, be prepared to wait. It could be a short wait or it could be an hour or more. You just never know.

Thanks for the reply. FTTF started after I was platinum so I never needed to access my stateroom. However, I have sailed with others who have had it and their staterooms were still unavailable being cleaned. They were allowed to drop items, but the stateroom itself was not ready. It’s happened more then once.

I would have went right down to GS and complained then. Especially with how much it costs now, they should have the cabins ready as promised.

Thanks everyone!! I am going to go for it and arrive around 10:30. Thanks again!!

we sailed out of Miami last spring. We had FTTF and showed up around 11 iirc, but we still waited about an hour. got called to go and zone 1 was right behind us....It was nice getting our stuff to our room though, with 3 kids.

have fun!!

Edited by splash_in_the_water

Suites DO get you early access to your room. I usually arrive to the Port of Miami around 10:30-10:45. Typically onboard by 11:45.

Not according to their site: It doesn't mention early access to your cabin. This has been debated on here quite often. Some say they went to their cabins early but others say that just because you did it doesn't mean it's allowed.

Exclusive Amenities

• VIP check-in
  • Priority embarkation and debarkation
  • Mini Fridge
  • Deluxe bathroom featuring whirlpool tub*

Suites DO get you early access to your room. I usually arrive to the Port of Miami around 10:30-10:45. Typically onboard by 11:45.

Sorry, no they do not. It was never a perk and now that they are going to the S&S Cards in the mailboxes, suites will not be accessible until all the other cabins are. Once again:

57c18ff61eab1c71a4cb4e53f0a46e78.png

Vista out of Miami in July, arrived at 11 with FTTF, in board and in room 1120, 1st drink 1125, ordering pasta for lunch 1130.

Worth every penny to me.

The line to board was several hundred hundreds long... Winding outside the building in hot humid Miami.

You have the boarding with the suite but instant room access, priority line guest services, and debarkation made it worth it for us.

Vista out of Miami in July, arrived at 11 with FTTF, in board and in room 1120, 1st drink 1125, ordering pasta for lunch 1130.

Worth every penny to me.

The line to board was several hundred hundreds long... Winding outside the building in hot humid Miami.

You have the boarding with the suite but instant room access, priority line guest services, and debarkation made it worth it for us.

This is good to know thank you! We're sailing out of Miami in November, so I was curious too. We don't like getting to the port super early since like others have said, it's a lot of sitting around. We usually eat breakfast, check out of the hotel and head over around 11. I got FTTF for us since it's nice to be able to drop off our luggage at the room.