Noro on Explorer 9/30

Jammu2

Oh this is easily explained 86% of all start are made on the spot!
Of outbreaks caused by infected food workers, 54% involve food workers touching ready-to-eat-foods with their bare hands. Ready-to-eat foods are foods that are ready to be served without additional preparation, such as washed raw fruits and vegetables for salads or sandwiches, baked goods, or items that have already been cooked.

Observations of food service workers have shown that they practice proper hand washing only 1 of 4 times that*

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/norovirus/index.html

So its 54% I was generalixing

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

We had a sick family member on Harmony and the sanitation crew cleaned the room and he was taken to infirmary twice for IV's. They put a yellow sticker on his door. Quarantined from Wednesday morning until we got off of the ship on Saturday. Another reason to have a passport. He didn't and we were worried that they would transport him to a hospital while in Cozumel.

This is what scares me about cruises, even though I’ve been on many cruises. I have a phobia of vomiting (it’s called emetophobia). Are all stomach viruses caused by noro? I’ve had many stomach viruses over the years that didn’t make me actually throw up, but I had all the other symptoms of noro besides the vomiting. We’re those viruses likely noro? We’re going on Anthem in April. We’re teachers so it’s during our spring break which is Easter week. There will be tons of children onboard.

This is what scares me about cruises, even though I’ve been on many cruises. I have a phobia of vomiting (it’s called emetophobia). Are all stomach viruses caused by noro? I’ve had many stomach viruses over the years that didn’t make me actually throw up, but I had all the other symptoms of noro besides the vomiting. We’re those viruses likely noro? We’re going on Anthem in April. We’re teachers so it’s during our spring break which is Easter week. There will be tons of children onboard.

No, not all stomach viruses are caused by noro. Noro is a virus, so I'm not sure that it causes other viruses at all. Also, not all vomiting is the result of stomach viruses.

No, not all stomach viruses are caused by noro. Noro is a virus, so I'm not sure that it causes other viruses at all. Also, not all vomiting is the result of stomach viruses.

Thanks! I know there are numerous reasons that people might vomit, including drinking excessively, food poisoning, morning sickness, etc. I’m just wondering if I’ve had noro before or not. I’m 41 and I’ve had plenty of stomach viruses in my life including ones that I caught from my own children, just that I usually didn’t throw up from them. Even some of the ones I’ve caught from my children, they threw up but I didn’t.

Is it possible to have noro and not throw up from it and have all of the other symptoms?

Thanks! I know there are numerous reasons that people might vomit, including drinking excessively, food poisoning, morning sickness, etc. I’m just wondering if I’ve had noro before or not. I’m 41 and I’ve had plenty of stomach viruses in my life including ones that I caught from my own children, just that I usually didn’t throw up from them. Even some of the ones I’ve caught from my children, they threw up but I didn’t.

Is it possible to have noro and not throw up from it and have all of the other symptoms?

I would think it might be possible. I have known my DH for over 52 years and in all that time he has NEVER thrown up! :eek:

I think it is possible. I had the dry heaves; there was nothing to throw up.

about 50% of the virus is from food service workers who either have bad hygiene or who work when infected. I carry single wrap wipes with Benzethonium Chloride to use before I eat. This kills the norovirus. A lot of chemicals do not kill the virus.

It's not really a very good noro-killer. Maybe twice as good as "known to be basically useless" alcohol sanitizer gel. Washing hands with soap is about ten times better than those wipes.

THERE WAS NO NORO VIRUS BREAK OUT ON THE EXPLORER.................

I got on the ship on September 17th and left October 5th.

No Noro breakout....................

Bags are ALWAYS put out if the seas get a little rough.

Please don't spread rumors.............

Great Pacific Northwest Cruise.....................

See post #8.

See post #8.

I have a friend who was on this cruise. I messaged him about this thread. He not only saw no evidence of noro, he asked the Hotel Director who affirmed that there was no noro outbreak.

Thanks Carol................

All ships have a few to several people each sailing that comes down with Noro.

Close quarters and not washing properly. Usually someone brings it on the ship.

It's not really a very good noro-killer. Maybe twice as good as "known to be basically useless" alcohol sanitizer gel. Washing hands with soap is about ten times better than those wipes.

The only hand sanitizer that I know of to be effective against noro is Germstar Noro. I carry this sanitizer with me all the time (I work in a school). The gels do not work because the ingredient that makes it into gel form blocks some of the alcohol, and noro is resistant to it at that point. The one I use is a spray, not a gel. On Carnival I’ve seen Purell hand sanitizing gel. It’s useless against noro but effective against other illnesses like colds and flu. Not sure what Royal uses, as we’re going on Anthem in April and it’s my first Royal Cruise since 1992. On NCL, they had the Germstar Noro brand.

Washing hands properly is still the best defense. Emphasis on properly. How many times were you in a public rest room and someone simply gave their hands a quick rinse and shake? That’s not enough. Then there’s washing with soap but just for a few seconds. That’s not enough. The idea is to wash off and rinse the germs down the drain. It takes washing for 20 seconds or more. This is also the effective way to wash hands in defense against the flu and colds.

I use the Germstar Noro after washing my hands at school when I’m about to eat something or after using the rest room, for example.

I'm on the Explorer right now and haven't seen any barf bags anywhere. I have met about 10 people in the suite lounge that were on the cruise before and there was no mention of it. I will ask about it today and see what others have to say. I also haven't seen any excessive cleaning going on.