Best Western Airport West

willow0325

Since I posted last, we have our flights.  We arrive Wednesday, Jan 16, 2018 about 5:00pm.  We would rather stay closer to Cape Liberty port/Newark airport and take an Uber to NYC if we decide to do that.  I'm not even sure what we could really see in one day in NYC, which would be Thursday, Jan 17th.

I looked briefly in the Elizabeth area of the Embassy Suites, Extended Stay and the other hotels there.  I would like to stay about the $130 or under before taxes.  We are AAA members.  We would like to buy a couple of bottles of wine before the cruise, maybe we need to take an Uber for that as well.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your cruise!!!  and thanks in advance for your help!  Vicki

Ubering back and forth to manhattan is going to cost $100+, and your hotel budget seems low. You are better off getting a room with easy accessibility to public transportation. There are hotels in Newark with easy PATH access, plus hotels in Jersey City, and secaucus hotels with access to bus and train. There is so much to see in NYC.

14 hours ago, sunnyv said:

Since I posted last, we have our flights.  We arrive Wednesday, Jan 16, 2018 about 5:00pm.  We would rather stay closer to Cape Liberty port/Newark airport and take an Uber to NYC if we decide to do that.  I'm not even sure what we could really see in one day in NYC, which would be Thursday, Jan 17th.

I looked briefly in the Elizabeth area of the Embassy Suites, Extended Stay and the other hotels there.  I would like to stay about the $130 or under before taxes.  We are AAA members.  We would like to buy a couple of bottles of wine before the cruise, maybe we need to take an Uber for that as well.  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Enjoy your cruise!!!  and thanks in advance for your help!  Vicki

$130 is a tight budget for a weekday night.  I would recommend the following:

Robert Treat Hotel - downtown Newark - $117 plus tax cancellable for your dates with AAA discount. Free airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle, free breakfast, and free wifi.  Comfortable queen bed.  I have stayed there and would stay again.

If you have a full day to kill, there is no reason to spend it in an airport hotel.  There is nothing to do at the airport except the Jersey Gardens Mall.  PATH from Newark Penn Station to World Trade Center (Freedom Tower and 911 Memorial and museum) is $2.75/pp.  NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station (midtown Manhattan) is $5.25/pp.  

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

IMO Uber is not the best option to go into Manhattan.  Public transit into Manhattan and Uber within NYC is fine as is uber from Newark to the port.  Uber from Newark Penn to the Robert Treat in the evening (if you don't want to wait for the shuttle) is recommended and cheap.

Adding info onto 138’s suggestion of the Robert Treat. Everything in NY tristate area is going to be much more expensive than most places. That includes wine. In NY one needs to go to a “Liquor Store” to purchase wine. Some places has wine in their name. You can’t purchase beer in a liquor store. 

Im almost sure you can’t purchase wine in the grocery store in NJ either. But if I’m wrong I hope a NJ friend will correct me. Robert Treat is in a highly urbanized area. I wouldn’t be asking an Uber to drive me to the nearest place to pick up wine. Could be unsafe for those not familiar with the neighborhood. 

I don’t know about Newark Penn Station but NY Penn has a liquor store. Take the NJ transit to NY Penn walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center. On way back pick up some wine. This particular liquor store is on the LIRR level. The entrance is on 34 and 7th. 

7547FA1D-82FA-46CE-89B4-46B4952FCABB.png

2 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Adding info onto 138’s suggestion of the Robert Treat. Everything in NY tristate area is going to be much more expensive than most places. That includes wine. In NY one needs to go to a “Liquor Store” to purchase wine. Some places has wine in their name. You can’t purchase beer in a liquor store. 

Im almost sure you can’t purchase wine in the grocery store in NJ either. But if I’m wrong I hope a NJ friend will correct me. Robert Treat is in a highly urbanized area. I wouldn’t be asking an Uber to drive me to the nearest place to pick up wine. Could be unsafe for those not familiar with the neighborhood. 

I don’t know about Newark Penn Station but NY Penn has a liquor store. Take the NJ transit to NY Penn walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center. On way back pick up some wine. This particular liquor store is on the LIRR level. The entrance is on 34 and 7th. 

7547FA1D-82FA-46CE-89B4-46B4952FCABB.png

It's becoming more common to be able to purchase wine in a supermarket in NJ although I would say it's not widespread. The supermarket where we shop has a wine and liquor license and used to maintain a separate liquor store adjacent to the supermarket. They received approval to break through the wall separating the two stores and make them a single premises. A selection of wines is even displayed and for sale directly in the supermarket side and can be purchased at the supermarket checkout so you don't even have to set foot in the liquor store side to buy wine. I've also seen similar setups in other supermarkets . It's not widespread because corporations can only own two licenses and the number of liquor licenses available by municipality is very limited so if one is available it will not be inexpensive to buy.

Edited by njhorseman