Cabanas on Koningsdam

Nashna

Thanks to CC, I have just discovered the ability to reserve cabanas on HAL. I have sent an inquiry to HAL requesting more details as I was unable to find any information about cabanas on their website. Do you need to reserve Cabana space for the entire cruise? Can you just reserve for a day or two? Can you wait until you are on board to reserve the cabanas? Are they worth the expense? We were on Regal Princess two years ago and found out about renting cabanas by accident. The ship was very crowded and it was almost impossible to secure deck space. We were able to rent for just the sea days and it was wonderful to not worry about where we would be sitting. The experience reminded us of when we first started cruising and were assigned deck chairs by the pool attendant.

A quick search on the board will get you many threads discussing cabanas. We love them, but whether or not they are worth it to you is a decision only you can make.

As mentioned, you can only book for the entire cruise prior to boarding, by calling Ships Services. On board, daily rentals can be booked, if cabanas are available. And full cruise rentals can be booked, again, if available.

A quick search on the board will get you many threads discussing cabanas. We love them, but whether or not they are worth it to you is a decision only you can make.

As mentioned, you can only book for the entire cruise prior to boarding, by calling Ships Services. On board, daily rentals can be booked, if cabanas are available. And full cruise rentals can be booked, again, if available.

This is why CC is so valuable. Posts here are so much more informative than the cruise line websites. I couldn’t find one word about cabana rentals on HAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've not had the cabanas on the Koningsdam, but we've had them on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. We have one booked for our upcoming holiday cruise on the Zuiderdam. Definitely worthwhile IMHO. They'll be available for single day booking *if* they don't sell out.

We never want to sail on a ship without a retreat cabana ……... ever! We mainly sail on the NA or the Eurodam and always get the Family Retreat cabana to spend time with our son and his fiancée.

HOWEVER, we reserved the Family Cabana on the Koningsdam and were stunned to find that, on this beautiful new ship, the Family Cabana was MUCH MUCH smaller than on the other HAL ships ----- yet cost the same! There was no possible way the four of us could relax together in the cabana.

The two person cabanas were fine but the more expensive Family Retreat cabanas were useless for four people.

As a result, we will never sail the Kdam again.

We never want to sail on a ship without a retreat cabana ……... ever! We mainly sail on the NA or the Eurodam and always get the Family Retreat cabana to spend time with our son and his fiancée.

HOWEVER, we reserved the Family Cabana on the Koningsdam and were stunned to find that, on this beautiful new ship, the Family Cabana was MUCH MUCH smaller than on the other HAL ships ----- yet cost the same! There was no possible way the four of us could relax together in the cabana.

The two person cabanas were fine but the more expensive Family Retreat cabanas were useless for four people.

As a result, we will never sail the Kdam again.

Did you happen to notice if the Lido had any Cabanas? It doesn't appear so on the information. We do like to be in an area with lots of activity. Would you kindly describe the retreat cabanas and the location?

Did you happen to notice if the Lido had any Cabanas? It doesn't appear so on the information. We do like to be in an area with lots of activity. Would you kindly describe the retreat cabanas and the location?

KDam doesn't have Lido cabanas.

The Retreat cabanas are two decks up. Quieter area. Tables, chairs and lounges outside of the cabanas for sunning. Again, a quick search will find lots of threads, which include pictures.

The Retreat Cabana area has very little activity, since the only people in there are your fellow cabananistas.* There's a write-up in my Live From thread about the cabanas on the Eurodam. Just be aware that the pricing info is from 2016 an is out of date.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51852632&highlight=cabana%2Bliving#post51852632

You'll also want to search for photos of the K'dam's cabanas as they are configured somewhat differently.

* - Not a real word.

We have booked an Aft facing veranda stateroom. We enjoy sitting on the balcony and reading in the afternoon in our balcony. We actually like the pool scene. We enjoyed our pool cabana on the Regal Princess as it gave us a wonderful place to sit, read, enjoy the passing scene. The Regal Princess cabanas were in the adults only area so it wasn't as crazy and crowded as the regular pool. It was so nice not to need to rush to get a spot and to have the extra comfy lounges and service. We were hoping to do that on the Koningsdam Lido. I wonder if there is any chance she will be redone on her November dry dock to include cabanas on the Lido deck.

• Like 1

We have booked an Aft facing veranda stateroom. We enjoy sitting on the balcony and reading in the afternoon in our balcony. We actually like the pool scene. We enjoyed our pool cabana on the Regal Princess as it gave us a wonderful place to sit, read, enjoy the passing scene. The Regal Princess cabanas were in the adults only area so it wasn't as crazy and crowded as the regular pool. It was so nice not to need to rush to get a spot and to have the extra comfy lounges and service. We were hoping to do that on the Koningsdam Lido. I wonder if there is any chance she will be redone on her November dry dock to include cabanas on the Lido deck.

Unlikely they will add them. KDam's Lido pool area is configured differently from the other ships (only Eurodam and N. Amsterdam have Lido Cabanas), and includes the movie screen. Cabanas would mostly get in the way.

That sound logical. I think we will probably wait until we board to see if anything becomes available on sea days for the retreat cabanas. If we do go on one of the ships that have the lido cabanas, we will definitely book them.

That sound logical. I think we will probably wait until we board to see if anything becomes available on sea days for the retreat cabanas. If we do go on one of the ships that have the lido cabanas, we will definitely book them.

Why not wait until you see them before you decide?

We had a two person cabana on the Oosterdam for the Panama Canal transit. It was large and luxurious. I looked in on the cabanas on the Konigsdam and they were tiny. Of course the wonderful service in the cabanas would be missing I would not spend the money for the Konigsdam. All kinds of great deck space around the pool and upper level sun decks.

We had a two person cabana on the Oosterdam for the Panama Canal transit. It was large and luxurious. I looked in on the cabanas on the Konigsdam and they were tiny. Of course the wonderful service in the cabanas would be missing I would not spend the money for the Konigsdam. All kinds of great deck space around the pool and upper level sun decks.

That is good to know. We truly dislike playing the towel game.

• 1 year later...
Guest debbiejohncruise
On 10/4/2018 at 8:51 AM, Nashna said:

On our last cruse this summer, someone we knew went up to see what the Cabanas looked like on the Zuiderdam and they were promptly turned away.  I can't see spending $1000 for 20 days rental for something you can get on Celebrity for free. (ie the Solarium where they have a little place to get food) only need to pay for your drinks.

7 hours ago, debbiejohncruise said:

On our last cruse this summer, someone we knew went up to see what the Cabanas looked like on the Zuiderdam and they were promptly turned away.  I can't see spending $1000 for 20 days rental for something you can get on Celebrity for free. (ie the Solarium where they have a little place to get food) only need to pay for your drinks.

I think the point is you are guaranteed a lounger, whereas on Celebrity loungers in the solarium can be like hens teeth. We’ve booked a cabana for our first HAL cruise on 1st Dec because we could only get an inside accessible cabin, so the money we saved paid for a cabana and it will be our “balcony”

I have been a big fan of the cabanas, having used them on the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam and the Oosterdam. I heard rumblings on this forum about how small they were on the Kdam, so I decided to wait until I saw them for myself before booking one last November. I'm glad I did because I was so disappointed upon seeing them. Decided it wasn't worth it to me and passed. We will soon be on the Nieuw Statendam and have once again passed on them.

Guest debbiejohncruise
On 11/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, DebbieMacG said:

I think the point is you are guaranteed a lounger, whereas on Celebrity loungers in the solarium can be like hens teeth. We’ve booked a cabana for our first HAL cruise on 1st Dec because we could only get an inside accessible cabin, so the money we saved paid for a cabana and it will be our “balcony”

Fair enough. Coming from Scotland are you? See you on board! Can't be enough Debbies right? Debbie