Serenade of the “C’s” I Mean “I’s” – Ice Bergs, Iceland, Ice Caps and Ice Cream

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, Jasperdo said:

I guess I should stop scanning the Princess Board for that review then :classic_biggrin:. My wife and I have done the Hawaii cruise twice. As you said, they're nice and relaxing with a lot of sea days. I'm still enjoying your photos from this trip. Your Iceland and Greenland photos are terrific! 

LOL.  You would have had a long wait.  My next Princess cruise is not till late next year.:classic_laugh:

Jack

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:40 PM, bluebeard39 said:

Hello Sailor Jack.  I just wanted to thank you for posting all the photos and information about the tours that you took.  My wife and I will be doing the Crossing on September 2, 2020 so we now can't wait for the time to go bye.

Paul 

Glad you are enjoying them.  I know you enjoy seeing in person soon.  It is hard these days to find a port that has not become totally "touristy", but there are some of those on this trip.  It is fun to visit a place were every other store is not selling T-shirts.

Jack

• Like 1

Several people said they visited the seal processing plant, but we never saw it.  To bad, it sounded interesting.  However, there were several other important buildings for the town:

A library.

33371745328_9b2bf7ed73_o.jpg

A bank.

46333037265_0d79cd7ac1_o.jpg

And a hotel. This was the most interesting. We couldn't imagine why this little village would need such a large hotel?

33371755508_1e8f363378_o.jpg

I'm guessing they are anticipating a large influx of tourism, especially English speaking since the banner on the hotel was in English while the others weren't (although I recognize library from 2 years of high school French and bank was easy to deduce).

Hopefully the area can maintain its charm while possibly improving the economy with tourism dollars.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, pacruise804 said:

I'm guessing they are anticipating a large influx of tourism, especially English speaking since the banner on the hotel was in English while the others weren't (although I recognize library from 2 years of high school French and bank was easy to deduce).

Hopefully the area can maintain its charm while possibly improving the economy with tourism dollars.

I agree about the influx of tourism from the ships, but I am having trouble understanding why anybody would want to spend the night there. I mean there just isn't anything to do.:classic_smile:

I do agree with your main point however - it will be interesting to visit here a few years from now.

Jack

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, pacruise804 said:

That barn is lovely.  Great picture of that lady - I hope you had a way to get it to her, your camera and photography skills really captured her beauty.

She spoke no English at all...I had to pantomime taking her picture and she gave her consent by nodding. She had so much character in her face that I just had to photograph her. No way to pass it along.  We want to go back in a couple of years and see what happened to the town.  But your suggestion is a good one.  I will take a copy along in the off chance that we meet up again.  Given the small nature of the town (3,000 people) maybe someone will recognize her.

Jack

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, Baatman said:

Which cruise...maybe it will be one that I am on  -finally!

LOL...We are the Island Princess for an epic 30 day cruise from Rome to Abu Dhabi. Are you on that one?

Jack

Sydney harbor was a very active port.  When I first saw these ships I thought they were Princess ships as from a distance they looked like the Princess Seawitch.

DSC_5326.jpg

As this ship sailed straight at us I couldn't help focus on the "Safety First" sign!

DSC_5329%202.jpg

This ship ran next to us for quite a while.

DSC_5331.jpg

We have arrived at dock side and were quite relieved to find the answer as to where we could shop for souvenirs.

DSC_5337.jpg

We also saw an ambulance waiting for us as we docked.  We later heard that the patient was doing well.

DSC_5340.jpg

Our first glimpse of the worlds largest fiddle - a major tourist attraction along the boardwalk.

DSC_5339.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:20 AM, SailorJack said:

We have arrived at dock side and were quite relieved to find the answer as to where we could shop for souvenirs.

DSC_5337.jpg

We also saw an ambulance waiting for us as we docked.  We later heard that the patient was doing well.

DSC_5340.jpg

Our first glimpse of the worlds largest fiddle - a major tourist attraction along the boardwalk.

DSC_5339.jpg

Well, I guess Paul Bunyan could play it.:classic_biggrin:

Brightly covered bikes are brought out for disembarking passengers.  They proved a real hit as they were all gone when we came back to the ship at lunch.

DSC_5341.jpg

Besides bikes you could buy just about anything at this kiosk.

DSC_5343.jpg

The harbor had a beautiful board walk that provided great views and some nice places to eat. The glass windows in front were for a nice upstairs restaurant.

DSC_5338.jpg

We are off the ship and heading out to view the town.  We have actually docked within a four minute walk from the town's main street, so it is an easy walk to town.  Obviously the first thing we saw when we got off the ship was the giant fiddle.  You actually have to walk by it to go to town.  It looks a lot bigger standing in front of it than it did from our balcony.

DSC_5346.jpg

The next thing you pass is Mariners Park.  Nova Scotia is one of the Maritime Provinces and it has a long heritage in seafaring.  The province also played a critical role in forming the convoys that sailed to Europe and Russia during WWII.

DSC_5351.jpg

The memorial honors the Merchant Seamen who lost their lives in WWII

DSC_5349.jpg

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, SailorJack said:

We are off the ship and heading out to view the town.  We have actually docked within a four minute walk from the town's main street, so it is an easy walk to town.  Obviously the first thing we saw when we got off the ship was the giant fiddle.  You actually have to walk by it to go to town.  It looks a lot bigger standing in front of it than it did from our balcony.

DSC_5346.jpg

The next thing you pass is Mariners Park.  Nova Scotia is one of the Maritime Provinces and it has a long heritage in seafaring.  The province also played a critical role in forming the convoys that sailed to Europe and Russia during WWII.

DSC_5351.jpg

The memorial honors the Merchant Seamen who lost their lives in WWII

DSC_5349.jpg

Downtown was an easy walk to the main street. One of the first buildings one comes to is the Anglican church.  It is the oldest building in Sydney and dates from 1765. Visitors can tour the church and even play the organ.  Inside the church is a chair purportedly donated by Lord Nelson from his ship.  Also is a picture of Queen Elizabeth taken when she visited.

DSC_5353.jpg

Inside a delightful docent gave us a tour.

IMG_0478.jpg

Another old building a little down the road is this old Bank of Montreal building.  It is now a nice little museum and entrance is free.

DSC_5359.jpg

There are also a couple of new buildings in town - but not many.  This one is a bank - of course.

DSC_5358.jpg

• Like 1

Just down from the church is a little park with a statue dedicated to F.W, Desbarres - a past lieutenant-governor of Cape Breton and later of PEI.

DSC_5361_1.jpg

A little street art.

DSC_5363.jpg

I had no idea what this was supposed to be.  Note the chairs on the sidewalk - there were several of these on every block and on both sides of the street.  Perfect for taking a short break and doing a little people watching.

DSC_5374.jpg

This church marks the end of the "downtown" area and from here to the park at the end of the road are houses that have been remarkably upkept. 

DSC_5365.jpg

Examples of the houses along this very beautiful stretch homes.

DSC_5367.jpg

The park at the end of the road.

DSC_5371%203.jpg