Serenade of the “C’s” I Mean “I’s” – Ice Bergs, Iceland, Ice Caps and Ice Cream

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, stevea36 said:

Jack,

This stuff is FANTASTIC !!!

I sincerely hope that you have enough pictures and information to keep posting until late August 2020 so I can keep my enthusiasm up for the 2020 version of this sailing !!!

Steve

Sailing through the Sound was so stunning that I took over 300 photos (don't worry I am not posting them all!) Of all the places we have sailed this is the most picturesque (maybe with the possible exception of Ha Long Bay in Viet Nam.) You are in for a great ride.

Jack

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:16 AM, pacruise804 said:

What were the temperatures like here?  Is it comfortable to be outside, or do you need full coat/glove/hat protection? 

Temps were not all that bad - low 60s in Iceland and 50s in Greenland.  It was the rain and wind we had to contend with.  In Norway the wind was so strong it broke our umbrellas. It rained in both ports in Iceland as well. Weather was great in Nova Scotia - upper 60s and low 70s.

Hope that helps.

Jack

• Thanks 1

Exactly...layering was appropriate. Getting on and off the bus resulted in multiple  changes in temperature.  

not  quite sure why this came out as a separate post and not a response to you:classic_blush:. Oh well.

Edited by SailorJack
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our first view of Aappilattoq, an Inuit village and the only settlement on Prince Christian Sound.

47186260071_a5247071fc_o.jpgDSC_5242 by Donald Maclean, on Flickr

The last census here counted 132 residents in the village with an average age of 31.5. It is so isolated that there are no roads leading into or out of town and the only real contact is through a government subsidized helicopter service that brings in supplies.  Obviously there is also access by boat.

32244506527_46cea0a398_o.jpg

Satellite service allows for internet and telephone service.

32244505757_4b36cb72b5_o.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, BigNance said:

When do we get that review??!!

No review of that cruise. I only write a review if enough interesting things happen to make it interesting.  This last cruise was just a relaxing one with a lot of sea days.

Jack

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SailorJack said:

No review of that cruise. I only write a review if enough interesting things happen to make it interesting.  This last cruise was just a relaxing one with a lot of sea days.

Jack

I guess I should stop scanning the Princess Board for that review then :classic_biggrin:. My wife and I have done the Hawaii cruise twice. As you said, they're nice and relaxing with a lot of sea days. I'm still enjoying your photos from this trip. Your Iceland and Greenland photos are terrific! 

Inuit children on the way to school.  We couldn't help wonder what impact our cruise ship visit is going to have on them.  For generations they have been somewhat isolated in a village of about 3,100 people.  Now, at least 7 or 8 cruise ships a year are going to visit this port and dump nearly 3,000 visitors at a time. A new tourist industry is going to have to spring up and will have to have an impact on their culture.  It would be interesting to come back here in a few year to see what changes have occurred.

33343526628_f6863e8fd6_o.jpg

Brightly colored houses contrast with the rather cold environment.

47219086701_a284f684e7_o.jpg

This is the main street of the village.  With no roads leading into or out of town there is really very little need to have a car.  We may have seen at most four or five cars during our visit.

47166948612_90989bd612_o.jpg

• Like 2