Uber at Port Everglades

RocketMan275

Some have reported issues with Uber accessing the Port of Everglades.  Evidently some port security are asking for documentation normally provided by a taxi, ie, "hack license".  We're staying at the Embassy and would like to take Uber to the Port.  Would like anyone's comments from anyone who has taken Uber to Port Everglades.  We're using Uber from the airport to the hotel so we'll ask the driver then as well.

We've taken Uber from the airport to hotel and from hotel to Port Everglades w/o any issue. When arriving at the Port, we need to show our ship boarding pass (and possibly our ID too) to the security guard.  Our most recent trip was at the end of March 2018.

Edited by sandiego1

9 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

We've taken Uber from the airport to hotel and from hotel to Port Everglades w/o any issue. When arriving at the Port, we need to show our ship boarding pass (and possibly our ID too) to the security guard.  Our most recent trip was at the end of March 2018.

Thanks.  Port Security can be a pain at PE.  Our first trip there, the gate guard asked for our boarding pass and our drivers license.  We showed our pass and our passports.  No, had to see our license.  Told guard license was in a bag at tailgate and would have to exit vehicle to get it.  Told couldn't exit vehicle.  Told them couldn't get license unless exited.  Told couldn't exit vehicle.  Went around this bush several times.  Finally, I just exited and got the license.  

We used uber to the port yesterday (Oct 20), the driver was asked to show his ID, his phone that show the destination of the ride is Port Everglades, we (the passengera) have to show ID. The security also looked at our luggage. Other than the checks, no problem getting to the port. 

2 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

We used uber to the port yesterday (Oct 20), the driver was asked to show his ID, his phone that show the destination of the ride is Port Everglades, we (the passengera) have to show ID. The security also looked at our luggage. Other than the checks, no problem getting to the port. 

That kind of security seems rather tight.  I can certainly understand ID, for driver and passenger, but ride itinerary?  Luggage? I wonder what the case scenario is?

16 hours ago, JohninDC said:

I have not seen any recent reports of Uber or Lyft having issues accessing PE -- how old are the reports you are looking at? :classic_unsure:

John,  here's another post describing some issues with Uber at PE.  See post #7, dated today.

"I personally LOVE  Uber and Lyft.....it is a fun experience but I will let you all know that again this morning a guest told us they ordered an Uber that was turned away from getting into the port. The ended up with a taxi. This is about the 4th time I have heard this lately. Not sure what is going on? Seems like the port needs to establish a clear and uniform policy.  We have our Gold Coast concierge meeting coming up this week and I will try to find out what is going on."

Sorry about the double post below.

Edited by RocketMan275

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the newer drivers don’t know what they need to do to enter the port.  The instruction generally comes as part of the Uber app.  

On 10/21/2018 at 5:23 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Thanks.  Port Security can be a pain at PE.  Our first trip there, the gate guard asked for our boarding pass and our drivers license.  We showed our pass and our passports.  No, had to see our license.  Told guard license was in a bag at tailgate and would have to exit vehicle to get it.  Told couldn't exit vehicle.  Told them couldn't get license unless exited.  Told couldn't exit vehicle.  Went around this bush several times.  Finally, I just exited and got the license.  

Funny.  What would th guy say if you’d said, “sorry, no license.  That is why I have a passport.”  

10 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Some of the newer drivers don’t know what they need to do to enter the port.  The instruction generally comes as part of the Uber app.  

Funny.  What would th guy say if you’d said, “sorry, no license.  That is why I have a passport.”  

We were driving.

• 3 weeks later...

We sailed two weeks ago and used Lyft to get to the port.  He had to show his paperwork and we needed to show our passports to get into the port area.  That was maybe a whole 3 minute process.  The longer delay was that the driver missed the correct turn for terminal 18.  I needed to direct him back into it twice.  But still NBD.  We were on vacation and still early.  15 minutes from drop off to being on the ship.

• 1 month later...

In November of this year was going to take Uber to the airport from PE.  Upon exiting the building, taxi after taxi waiting patiently for passengers in their proper areas.  I asked a lady next to me where I would catch Uber, and she said I had to walk way down to (and then proceeded to tell me).  I walked 25' to a taxi.  No issues at all with the taxi.  I guess that is what they are hoping for.

We had to change cruises after my air was booked, so we are flying in and out of mia. Lyft drivers shouldn't have a problem going between mia and port everglades/fll, right?

5 minutes ago, Wetmib said:

We had to change cruises after my air was booked, so we are flying in and out of mia. Lyft drivers shouldn't have a problem going between mia and port everglades/fll, right?

No, you'll be fine. Most drivers drive for Uber & Lyft both so there's really not much of a difference. 

2 hours ago, Wetmib said:

Fare should be about $35-40