Soda = $$$ OUCH

wilsonz6

Just priced out a soda package for 2 on a 11 night. $366 Canadian !!! Thats alot of soda. I realize that 30% of that is due to exchange rate, but....

Thats my rant on that, next I have a question. Does Ovation Of The Seas have freestyle machines?

Thanks in advance.

On Anthem in Feb., 2018  I ordered cans of soda (diet coke) for the minibar. Could order 6, 12, 24 at a time. I ordered 24 for our 12 day cruise, came out to just under $2 per can. I only drink max 2 per day so soda package didn't make sense for me. Can take them anywhere on the ship. Don't know if this is available on all RC ships.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 8:07 PM, srdancer said:

On Anthem in Feb., 2018  I ordered cans of soda (diet coke) for the minibar. Could order 6, 12, 24 at a time. I ordered 24 for our 12 day cruise, came out to just under $2 per can. I only drink max 2 per day so soda package didn't make sense for me. Can take them anywhere on the ship. Don't know if this is available on all RC ships.

‘Did you do this onboard or in advance somehow?

38 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Just don't order any pop with your room service, they wanted to charge me $4 a can for Sprite. Is that gouging or what? .

Nope. That’s the going rate even if you purchased a can from a bar or restaurant. 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:07 AM, srdancer said:

Is this a regular option to do? We are going on Quantum in Oct 2019. 

Great idea! 

7 hours ago, emdia43 said:

Just don't order any pop with your room service, they wanted to charge me $4 a can for Sprite. Is that gouging or what? .

The price that you would pay at the airport or hotel.  Remember that it is not the price you pay when you buy a case at the grocery store.

7 hours ago, emdia43 said:

no.  same price as anywhere on board, which is actually comparable to any other captive audience.   cans of soda in our local AAA  baseball stadium( which doubles as the local colleges football stadium) is the exact same price.. plus tax.  

9 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

You can now bring your own on board.  You can take up to Twelve 17oz cans/bottles of non-alcoholic beverages as a carry on, as of a policy change effective September 1, 2018.

Unfortunately 12 cans/bottles isn't much if you're in a cabin with two people for an 11 days cruise and I don't suppose they adjust the allowed amount based on duration of the cruise, correct?

1 hour ago, familycruising4ever said:

Unfortunately 12 cans/bottles isn't much if you're in a cabin with two people for an 11 days cruise and I don't suppose they adjust the allowed amount based on duration of the cruise, correct?

The rule is not based on the length of the cruise.

2 hours ago, hartpartyof3 said:

Do they drop the price at all if you buy the drink package once you set sail as opposed to ordering it before you leave through the Cruise Planner?

Very unlikely, the only way to get a discount on board is to delay buying the package 1-2 days into the sailing (if allowed).

It is pricey.  We really went back and forth this year, knowing that between our two staterooms we could bring 24 cans of soda on board.  However, in the end we caved and bought one soda package in each room.  We'll bring bottled water on-board instead.

You can purchase 2-3 sodas a day on the ship for the same price as the soda package, so if you only drink 1-2 sodas a day you will come out ahead if you just purchase individually on the ship.  We prefer the convenience, and the souvenir cup is a nice little keepsake/remembrance of the cruise.  Purchasing the soda package ahead of time makes it much easier when ordering soda in the MDR too.  No need to sign or pay for a drink, it is just brought to you when you show them the symbol (or sticker) on your room key.

I would like to know if it is a regular offering to purchase 24 cans of soda on board from the mini-bar for roughly $2 each.  That's another nice option.

Dan

3 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I would like to know if it is a regular offering to purchase 24 cans of soda on board from the mini-bar for roughly $2 each.  That's another nice option.

Dan

It is a regular option, it is just in the Royal gifts section and not the cruise planner if you order it ahead of time.  There are only a couple of options, coke, sprite and the diet versions. 

I ordered it for the minibar when we got to our cabin.  24 cans for just under $48, including grat. Soda package didn't seem worth it since I would have had to drink more than 5 cans a day to break even.

Could order 6 or 12 cans but that came out to a bit more per can.

I also ordered a water package, in cruise planner before the cruise. I don't drink anything else that isn't free.

DH had a refreshment package but not worth it for me.

22 minutes ago, srdancer said:

I ordered it for the minibar when we got to our cabin.  24 cans for just under $48, including grat. Soda package didn't seem worth it since I would have had to drink more than 5 cans a day to break even.

Could order 6 or 12 cans but that came out to a bit more per can.

I also ordered a water package, in cruise planner before the cruise. I don't drink anything else that isn't free.

DH had a refreshment package but not worth it for me.

I wish they had more options as I drink club soda not sprite or coke and it looks like those are the only 2 options. 😟 

1 hour ago, familycruising4ever said:

I wish they had more options as I drink club soda not sprite or coke and it looks like those are the only 2 options. 😟 

Bring your own.  They can't stock everything.  (I like Caffeine Free Diet Coke, and that's not an option either)