Extra charges

ctrendle

We are cruising on Carnival Paradise this December.  This is our first cruise ever.  I prepaid gratuities, bought insurance and paid for the drink package.  Are there any other charges I should be aware of?

Just now, ctrendle said:

We are cruising on Carnival Paradise this December.  This is our first cruise ever.  I prepaid gratuities, bought insurance and paid for the drink package.  Are there any other charges I should be aware of?

Excursions.  Tips to porters, room service, excursion guides.  Extra pay dining.  Souvenirs.  

I'm not familiar with the Carnival drinks package, but, if you enjoy ordering a bottle of wine with your dinners. the drinks package may give you a discount but not cover the entire price of the bottle.

Also, you might get additional good information if you post your question over on the Carnival Board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/133-carnival-cruise-lines/

Have a great cruise.

9 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I'm not familiar with the Carnival drinks package, but, if you enjoy ordering a bottle of wine with your dinners. the drinks package may give you a discount but not cover the entire price of the bottle.

Also, you might get additional good information if you post your question over on the Carnival Board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/133-carnival-cruise-lines/

Have a great cruise.

I'll have to do that.  Thank you

You've covered the necessities....the other stuff...you can easily do without.  There will be bingo, and jewelry sales, cheap t-shirts, and photos galore.  You are under NO obligation to partake of any of that!

That said, definitely bring some extra spending money...you are on vacation, after all!  And Cash is KING, if you need it, you'll be glad to have it!

I don't think there will be any extras you don't know about already.  There are lots of extra ways to spend money, but they are not hidden charges.  If you have to hand over your cruise card, then it is a charge, but totally up to you.

It can be tempting on that first cruise to spend lots of money on board.  We buy little on board ship but do buy (independent) excursions and usually a photo or two.  Choose what you like but try to be a little discriminating so you don't have an unpleasant surprise when the final bill is presented.

8 hours ago, cb at sea said:

You've covered the necessities....the other stuff...you can easily do without.  There will be bingo, and jewelry sales, cheap t-shirts, and photos galore.  You are under NO obligation to partake of any of that!

That said, definitely bring some extra spending money...you are on vacation, after all!  And Cash is KING, if you need it, you'll be glad to have it!

Thank you

5 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I don't think there will be any extras you don't know about already.  There are lots of extra ways to spend money, but they are not hidden charges.  If you have to hand over your cruise card, then it is a charge, but totally up to you.

It can be tempting on that first cruise to spend lots of money on board.  We buy little on board ship but do buy (independent) excursions and usually a photo or two.  Choose what you like but try to be a little discriminating so you don't have an unpleasant surprise when the final bill is presented.

Thank you. The unpleasant surprise is what I'm trying to avoid.

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

Pretty much everything else is discretionary. 

Your main extra costs are in what you do while off the ship. In the Caribbean this can be very inexpensive, while in some other locales, not so easy to stay on a small budget. 

Be sure to visit the port of call threads on this site. There will be a list with each of your cruise ports, where you can get lots of information on things to do that might interest you.

hope this helps

have a great cruise