Japan : practical things I have learned

Lolotte

Just came back from a cruise ( Celebrity Millenium).  Japan is wonderful but there are a few things that I did not know before

1.  The English spoken by most Japanese is non-existent except for information center or hotel reception, be prepared !

2. Credit cards are not often accepted except at hotels and major restaurant.  A lot of ATM only works with credit cards ( not debit cards)

3. If you ask for help, they will always try to help you even if they do not know the answer, be aware !

4. Never hop on a train or metro before double checking before if you are at the right platform.

5. It is the cleanest country I have ever seen, even the public toilets are spotless. However, there are no garbage can around.  Everyone carries a plastic bag in their purse where they put their trash to bring back home ( or to the hotel).

6.  It is not an expensive country for travelers, decent hotels and restaurants are available in all price range.  The attractions are cheap to visit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can't help but wonder if this was your first trip outside North America.

1. Why would you assume that it would be common for people to speak English in a country whose primary language was not English? While this may be true in some European countries, in the cities, it certainly is never something you should count on. There's a reason they sell foreign language phrase books and apps.

2. Credit card acceptance often depends on the type of card and the amount of the purchase. Some places may be hesitant to accept foreign credit cards, especially for small amounts. I've never encountered a problem using an ATM card in Japan.  But I only withdraw cash from Bank owned ATMS.  If the ATM displays the Plus or Visa logo (and the machine is working/you've alerted the bank of your travels), then your card will work. You have to be either really desperate or really naive if you use a credit card for a cash withdrawal, no matter where in the world you are.

3. This is common in many Asian cultures, and is a matter of "face", politeness, and trying to avoid saying no.

4. Sorry, but Duhh... hardly unique to Japan. This applies to any train or metro station anywhere in the world. Fortunately,at least in our experience, there are usually employees whose job it is to assist travellers.

5. Japan is well known for taking pride in its cleanliness. The lack of public trash receptacles, like in most cities in the world post 9/11, is a security measure. Singapore is even more stringent when it comes to public cleanliness. They have huge fines for littering- don't even think about dropping anything on a street. The consequence could be very expensive.

6. It is not NECESSARILY an expensive country for travelers, decent hotels and restaurants are available in all price range.  The attractions are cheap to visit. FIFY. Prices in the cities can range from the exorbitant to the very inexpensive. The trick is knowing how to choose wisely to suit your budget.

it sounds like your visit to Japan was a real learning experience for you. I hope you enjoyed the country as much as we do.

No I have travelled a lot  to many other countries including China.  It is only that I had read that most people could speak English, it didn't really matter to us since my husband speaks japanese, just trying to help.

• Like 2

We generally found that younger people were more likely to speak English and they were anxious to practice.  When we stopped to look at a map, a man who spoke very little English showed us where we were on the map and actually walked us to our hotel.  We had the name written in local characters, thanks to Trip Advisor.  This was helpful in several situations, well worth doing.  We spent just less than two weeks touring Japan independently after a cruise and found it easier than we expected to get around on trains and buses.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if you are warning people, being a little negative, or sincerely trying to help.  However, a few corrections, from my experience.  English is not as International as people would expect.  When traveling, always be prepared with aids to help you with language barriers.  Example would be use printed index cards with address of all important places you need to go to.  Next, use you phone, and trip advisor to find places, and use the map it function to get to the place you are going.  Works better than paper maps. 

Credit cards are widely accepted.  Used them for entrance fees, to food, to gifts in Japan without an issue.  I was never turned down.  The thing about debit cards is that it is a banking transfer, and if the bank that owns the atm does not have a relationship to the USA bank, than it wouldn't be accepted.  As a rule of thumb, I never use a debit card. 

Also, I'm spending $6000.00 on a two week vacation to Asia, I'm going to make sure I have cash on me in local currencies before I even step foot in the country.  This is just a small amount of cash to cover small items, and transportation.  It might cost a few dollars more, but spending $6000.00 already, I can manage an extra $10-$20 for the convenience of not running around town to find an ATM with the right logo on it. 

1 hour ago, Havingfun2010 said:

Also, I'm spending $6000.00 on a two week vacation to Asia, I'm going to make sure I have cash on me in local currencies before I even step foot in the country.  This is just a small amount of cash to cover small items, and transportation.  It might cost a few dollars more, but spending $6000.00 already, I can manage an extra $10-$20 for the convenience of not running around town to find an ATM with the right logo on it. 

Very good advice.  We always take enough local currency for a cab and a meal, just in case we have problems using our cards.  This applies in any country we visit.  We have seen long lines at ATMs in airports, and even one out of order, so having a security blanket of some local currency is well worth the extra cost.

4 hours ago, smtcan said:

Very good advice.  We always take enough local currency for a cab and a meal, just in case we have problems using our cards.  This applies in any country we visit.  We have seen long lines at ATMs in airports, and even one out of order, so having a security blanket of some local currency is well worth the extra cost.

Hi! My question is we will be traveling to Japan (starting point), then ports in Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore (ending point).  First time travelers out of the country. Should I go to my bank here at home and get local currency for each stop? Or should I just get it for my starting point and end point.  We will be staying extra days in both places.  And is $10-$20 for each country really enough of a security blanket?  Thanks for your help!

E

I have been to Japan over 50 times starting in the 1980's--and including recent years. I have never had much dificulty using credit cards or finding ATM machines that work with "international" debit cards. I always have enough "cash" to pay a restaurant bill or taxi.My wife and I have traveled all over Japan. Many younger people now know some English and are delighted to try to be helpful.

With the right attitude this is a delightful country to visit--low crime, clean cities, great trains, interesting cities, etc.

Most expats that are in Asia prefer Japan to live--because it is easy to adapt and offers excellent food of all types--Italian, french, chinese, etc.

I never buy local currency before leaving home--almost all airports have ATM machines that work for major international ATRM networks.

Also the trains and subways work very very well--normal care should get you to the correct train of either,

Buses like subways are always numbered.

5 hours ago, EleanorNoway said:

Hi! My question is we will be traveling to Japan (starting point), then ports in Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore (ending point).  First time travelers out of the country. Should I go to my bank here at home and get local currency for each stop? Or should I just get it for my starting point and end point.  We will be staying extra days in both places.  And is $10-$20 for each country really enough of a security blanket?  Thanks for your help!

E

I think the $10-20 that HavingFun quoted was the extra cost of buying currency at home rather than using an ATM upon arrival.  We usually take $100-150, and if we know we are returning to a country we will get extra from an ATM and take it home to start us off on our next trip.  Whether you need currency for each country will depend on what you plan to do.  If you have organized tours you will probably not need much currency, but if you are exploring independently you may need to find an ATM.  Most shops will take credit cards, but shopping in markets usually requires cash.  

1 hour ago, smtcan said:

I think the $10-20 that HavingFun quoted was the extra cost of buying currency at home rather than using an ATM upon arrival.  We usually take $100-150, and if we know we are returning to a country we will get extra from an ATM and take it home to start us off on our next trip.  Whether you need currency for each country will depend on what you plan to do.  If you have organized tours you will probably not need much currency, but if you are exploring independently you may need to find an ATM.  Most shops will take credit cards, but shopping in markets usually requires cash.  

What smtcan said.  

Sugarbird,  Smtcan, & Philob,  Thank you so much for your replies!  We are booked with organized tours in almost all of our ports so that will be taken care prior to leaving.  We are not debit card people, but do use our credit card for almost all purchases here at home.  I thought $10-20 seemed a bit light, and that is what prompted me to ask my question.  Also, plan to check with our credit card company, first to make sure they know we will be traveling, and second to see if any fees are involved with taking cash/foreign currency advances from ATM's once we get to our destinations.  Again thanks for your input, most folks on CC are very helpful and it is my go to place for information!

E

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, EleanorNoway said:

Sugarbird,  Smtcan, & Philob,  Thank you so much for your replies!  We are booked with organized tours in almost all of our ports so that will be taken care prior to leaving.  We are not debit card people, but do use our credit card for almost all purchases here at home.  I thought $10-20 seemed a bit light, and that is what prompted me to ask my question.  Also, plan to check with our credit card company, first to make sure they know we will be traveling, and second to see if any fees are involved with taking cash/foreign currency advances from ATM's once we get to our destinations.  Again thanks for your input, most folks on CC are very helpful and it is my go to place for information!

E

Sorry, the $10-$20 were exchange fees that banks charge for converting/buying money.  Before I go, I already have an idea of what money I need for the day.  For example, I look up taxi prices, and/or buy a transportation card.  Then I determine if I can get the items with a credit card.  Example, Amsterdam, I bought a 3 day transportation card at the airport, and never used a taxi.  In China, I only used Taxi's so needed cash.  Restaurants, credit cards are usually used.  Fast Lunches such as street food etc will be cash.  Shopping in stores, credit cards, but in markets, cash.  Sometimes you need cash for tips.

I get an idea of the area, than I decide.  Usually, for the two of us, $100.00 USD converted is my estimate if I'm staying pre or post cruise in hotels.  For ports, it depends on where, and what we are doing.  Again, deciding if taxi's are needed, or lunch is needed and what we might expect.  Usually, not more than $75.00 for the port.  Just don't overestimate.  Less is better and by the time the day is over, you should know if you need money for a taxi, or spend it on gifts! 

Biggest mistake people make is not having cash for taxi's.  You can always find a different restaurant, but no cash for taxi equals a long walk back to ship.

On 10/27/2018 at 10:27 AM, EleanorNoway said:

E

Capital One - no foreign exchange fees on their credit cards.  Capital One checking - no international ATM charges on debit withdrawals.  Capital One - the best anti-fraud programs in the credit card industry. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’d tend to arrive with about US$50 or so (maybe a bit more) on hand in local £¥€ simply because after long trips, I simply didn’t want to go searching for an ATM upon arrival. What I might want is something else that I need currency for and while cards are becoming widely accepted even for purchasing a bottle of water or coffee in a shop, if I want something and cards aren’t accepted - still happens sometimes - I’m all set. 

Whatever helps me get out of the airport and satisfy wants/needs and get to wherever i need to be in the easiest way - I’m down for that. Upon returning home, keep some tucked away for next time, unless this was a “once in a lifetime” and then spend/give it away. Next trip youll be set with some spending money, probably just enough, for small needs. No need to ever pre-order again. and always seek out the fee-free credit, bank debit cards. 🙂 

Thamks for the great thread! 😎

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, sippican said:

Lolotte - Thank you for your post! 

You've probably also learned that most of the Japanese are more politely tactful than some of the posters on CC,  just sayin'!

+ 1

Srpilo

• 1 month later...

Host Bonjour, good advice!  I always get a little local currency at the airport in the US before I fly out.  A good security blanket!!  Sometimes flying into a new airport can be confusing with luggage, people everywhere,  and trying to find a taxi or the sign for a ride you have prearranged.  I figure having a bit of cash beforehand is one less thing to worry about, and the next day I can find an atm and get what I need.  Whatever makes you feel comfortable!

On 1/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Just think- if the OP had done her homework before the trip, she would have had a much more enjoyable time.

Odd that her husband speaks Japanese but didn't know these very obvious things about Japan.

Maybe he just didn't bother to tell her????

Did she mention that her husband was from Japan or did you assume that, since he could speak the language, he must know all about Japan?