Disability Scooters

Bandruidh

I walk with a 3 wheeler walker and as my balance is getting worse I want to get a disability scooter to take with me on my cruises.

i would welcome any advice on make, size,battery size etc and of course cost bearing in mind it has got to be acceptable both to airlines and cruise line e.g. Silversea.

Thank you 

If you skim down the pages of this forum, you will find multiple threads about buying scooters.  Do some reading, think about what you need from your scooter.  Then come back and ask more questions.  You might also ask on the Silversea forum here what people have used on their cruises, other than the scooters that can be rented.  EM

• Like 1

My wife uses a mobility scooter ( TGA Eclipse) We have cruised with the scooter on Norwegian and on Cunard Queen Victoria. You will need to ensure that you are in a mobility cabin as most cabins are not wide enough for the scooter and we certainly had problems on Norwegian Escape. Cunard were great and we are doing  a 24 nighter next month. I cannot speak for Silversea but they should  be fine. You will need to complete a questionnaire concerning disabilities .

Scooter cost approx £800 and has been great. 

I have 2 GoGo scooters and they are both 21 inches. Doorways are 22 inches. I found it easier to remove the arm rests for going in and out of the room.  Last time tho I forgot them under the bed. This time I will leave at home.  My only problem was when housekeeping was in the hallway had to make sure their cart was against the wall so I could get by. I found the scooter fit ok in the room and was easy to plug in.

Thank you for your replies.

There seem to be 2 main types. 

A. those that just fold up very easily like Luggi and Travelscoot.

B Those that seem to break up into 3  or 4 parts.

what experience has any one of type B surely getting those passed checkout would be a nightmare?

Type A are very very expensive and how good are they for home use on the pavements at home?

Regards

8 hours ago, Bandruidh said:

what experience has any one of type B surely getting those passed checkout would be a nightmare?

Type A are very very expensive and how good are they for home use on the pavements at home?

Regards

Both scooters that I have had disassemble, however I never had to completely disassemble either one. The only thing I ever had to do was take the seat off so the scooter would fit in a vehicle trunk. It is rolled onto the planes upright, completely assembled. I only have to remind who ever is taking it to put it into free wheel and reset it. I keep the key with me.

My current scooter is the small Go Go which is one of the least expensive scooters on the market.

Betty

• Thanks 1

Like Betty I have to remove the seat on my Travelscoot to fit it into trunks of car.    The handlebars do go down lower so that's pretty easy to do.    When we bring it on plane trips I drive it to the door of the plane and we remove the battery and put it into the case and bring it onto the plane.   There is no key but I do sometimes set the brake (that is handy when on a moving bus to keep the scooter from rolling all over the place).   The Travelscoot is quite expensive but I have had mine about 4 years now and it's tough and reliable and I haven't had any problems with it at all.  I don't use it every day but it's invaluable on cruises and using it in ports etc.

I also have a Travelscoot.  My husband got it for me while on the World Cruise Pacific Princess in Aucklund.  He e-mailed all information to the shop after leaving Hawaii.   He folded it up to fit in the trunk of a friend's small car in Australia, worked great.  It takes about 5 minutes to completely fold.  If you don't have a local mobility store check Amazon.  It is relatively expensive compared to the other scooters.

He got some addessories when we got home, a front basket and wider front wheel.  Some of the sculpted carpet  on the ship would grab the front wheel and try to steer me.  During the cruise the seat bracket broke and engineering was able to make a new one at no charge.

The ship tour desk should be able to let you know if you can take it on tours.  We went on the tenders and the busses since it weights less than 40 lbs.  I could not take it on graveled surfaces as it sank in and lose dirt is not good.  If you are on a slope be care full because it is only 3 wheeled and feels like you may fall.  If you are in the rain you may have to use a hair dryer to dry the electric connections.

Norine

I use a Smartscoot - which is similar in concept to a Travelscoot -- but there are some differences (speed, design, seat) that made us choose Smartscoot.  It's another option.

You cannot purchase a Smartscoot in a store, but they have a referral program where they will find an owner close to your location who will be happy to let you test drive and deemonstrate the product.

We have hosted many potential buyers.  Every one of them made a purchase.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, raindropsalways said:

Both scooters that I have had disassemble, however I never had to completely disassemble either one. The only thing I ever had to do was take the seat off so the scooter would fit in a vehicle trunk. It is rolled onto the planes upright, completely assembled. I only have to remind who ever is taking it to put it into free wheel and reset it. I keep the key with me.

My current scooter is the small Go Go which is one of the least expensive scooters on the market.

Betty

i bought a used gogo from a rental company replaced the batterys and was good to go .  Best investment I ever made.

The Mrs. uses a Pride Go Go that we found on Craigslist.  Less expensive than new, and it disassembles into 4 pieces.  Heaviest parts are the battery and the motor.  They weigh about 30 lbs each.  Easy to take apart and put together (the grandkids 12 &10 could put it together.   Have taken on flights across country with no issues.  

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:57 PM, Bandruidh said:

Regards

Although "A" is more expensive, I highly recommend it for travel.  They are light weight, easy to handle, easy for planes, and taxi's.  Easy on busses on subways.  They easily fit into any room on ships. 

It is nearly impossible to get one, that fits all your needs.  Such as having a heavy duty one for home use, vs one for travel.  We have two different ones, and love the Tzora scooter for travel.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:13 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Although "A" is more expensive, I highly recommend it for travel.  They are light weight, easy to handle, easy for planes, and taxi's.  Easy on busses on subways.  They easily fit into any room on ships. 

It is nearly impossible to get one, that fits all your needs.  Such as having a heavy duty one for home use, vs one for travel.  We have two different ones, and love the Tzora scooter for travel.

I agree, I use a power chair rather than a scooter and in an ideal world I’d probably have at least three