New Club Orange

Crew News

4 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

6 people hardly makes the effort worthwhile.  I think we had 24 on our Sept 9 sailing.

Indeed!  Will the concept go the way of the dinosaur?  With so few people buying it, is it worthwhile to continue?  How long before HAL scraps it?  

Okay, at this point, I have to admit we bought CO for our upcoming cruise aboard Nieuw Statendam, but we were more or less forced into the decision because of circumstances beyond our control.  Anyway, we are anticipating sampling it to see for ourselves whether it's worth it or not.

1 hour ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Indeed!  Will the concept go the way of the dinosaur?  With so few people buying it, is it worthwhile to continue?  How long before HAL scraps it?  

Okay, at this point, I have to admit we bought CO for our upcoming cruise aboard Nieuw Statendam, but we were more or less forced into the decision because of circumstances beyond our control.  Anyway, we are anticipating sampling it to see for ourselves whether it's worth it or not.

I think they'll keep CO. It doesn't cost them much to have the program, and it looks like they're offering something very special. 

IMO, the problem with CO is that the value is so different, depending on the ship. I think the idea started with "what should we do with that underused ATK space on the K?" So they made it a special restaurant on the K and NS, which makes it look like you're really getting something for the money. To be fair,I've heard good things about dinner there, and the breakfast is definitely a step up from the MDR.

But I doubt they thought beyond that to the other ships, where there isn't a space to dedicate to a CO restaurant. On those ships CO is mostly about priority--embarkation, excursion desk, front desk, tendering, seating at dinner. Is it worth $25 pp pd just to go to the head of the line?

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 4:05 PM, canadianbear said:

As well as not many Signature suites.  We absolutely loved our Signature suite on the Koningsdam for our 21 day cruise a couple years ago.  The Neptune suite was way too high priced for that cruise but the Signature suite was very spacious and we didn’t need the Neptune perks.  I saw a Neptune on the Kongingsdam and preferred our Signature one.

We have booked everything from outside cabins on Statendam-class ships, verandas and Signature Suites on Vista and Signature-class ships as well as a Vista Suite on the Konigsdam.  Our cabin choices are entirely to ensure that we have a 120 volt outlet located where an extension cord doesn't need to be run across the floor to a CPAP.  Our past experience with Veranda cabins was that the only 120 volt outlet was on the other side of the cabin from the night stands.  On one occasion, over 15 years ago, we were upgraded at no cost to a Neptune Suite.  Other than the glass shower stall in our Vista suite, we weren't very enamored with the Konigsdam compared to any of the other HAL ships that we've sailed on.

It appears that the newer 2600 passenger ships pared back their Signature Suites in favor of having 1.5 times as many Vistas.  They also have about 600 more passengers with two fewer elevators than the Vista and Signature class vessels.  For those paying extra for Club Orange here they at least had a dedicated venue in the former America's Test Kitchen.  This is simply a roped-off area in the main dining room on the other ships.  Still, I balk at paying $70 per couple per day for what little Club Orange offers.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, rkacruiser said:

If this new "amenity" dilutes or replaces the 5 Star Mariner benefits,  I would be a voice in opposition to it.

It does not replace it (we are 4-star Mariners) but Neptune suites guests can no longer eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill on the three new ships.   I hate this!   We always get a suite and love this perk.  The Club Orange dining venue was not nearly as nice as the Pinnacle Grill .. more like a cafe.

• Like 1

This morning I received a Mariner Society email that provides details of the CO program and explains the difference between ships.  

I'm considering CO for my next HAL cruise.  Cyber flog me if you want to.  After my last HAL cruise where I pushed around for being a solo cruiser, I'm willing to pay for a safe haven in which to take my meals.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roz said:

This morning I received a Mariner Society email that provides details of the CO program and explains the difference between ships.  

I'm considering CO for my next HAL cruise.  Cyber flog me if you want to.  After my last HAL cruise where I pushed around for being a solo cruiser, I'm willing to pay for a safe haven in which to take my meals.  

Did that happen after we got off when you carried on to Alaska?   Absolutely take the offer -it’s a personal choice.  

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Did that happen after we got off when you carried on to Alaska?   Absolutely take the offer -it’s a personal choice.  

Yes.  Totally different vibe.  Even Frank and Loren commented on it.

37 minutes ago, Roz said:

That sound ominous. I sailed solo with HAL this past winter and had no trouble. Would you mind sharing what happened? Were you pushed around by HAL or by other passengers? 

What ship are you looking at for your next cruise? I didn't like CO for dinner on the K because there was no easy way to join a large table. It was mostly 2's and 4's. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

27 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That sound ominous. I sailed solo with HAL this past winter and had no trouble. Would you mind sharing what happened? Were you pushed around by HAL or by other passengers? 

What ship are you looking at for your next cruise? I didn't like CO for dinner on the K because there was no easy way to join a large table. It was mostly 2's and 4's. 

There were about 5 sizeable travel/tour groups onboard.  I think part of the problem was there were probably a lot of people who had never cruised before, and didn't realize that sharing tables is an accepted practice on cruise ships.  Several times I've been circling the Lido looking for a seat, and complete strangers will ask me to join them at their table, and I've extended the same courtesy to others.  On this cruise, if I saw one or two people sitting at a 4 or 6-top, I'd ask to join them, and was either told NO or they said they were saving the table for others in their group.  Finally I just gave up, and when I had to eat in the Lido, I headed out to one of the very end tables at the Lido pool and sat by myself.  Forget getting any beverage refills or service out there, and if you forget something or need something, it's a long trek back into the Lido.  

There were also some cultural and language issues and differences.  One day I miraculously found an empty 4-top in the Lido.  There was a large table of passengers (of a different race and ethnicity than me) nearby who had no respect for my personal space, and had the gall to tell me I needed to move because they had more people coming to join them.  They literally started to edge towards me to push me aside or get me to leave. What the heck?  

I had open seating, and like to sit with others.  Because of the groups onboard and the language barrier with some of them, it was sometimes challenging for the host to find me a table.  

I don't know what HAL can do about this, but something I noticed on this cruise was the number of tables in the Lido occupied for hours on end by the same people.  They're parked there!  The Lido only works if there's turnover.  It's not my favorite place to eat to start with, but sometimes you have no choice.

Sorry for the ramble and I know this is going off topic from Club Orange, but that was my experience. 

Edited by Roz

Roz, I am so sorry to hear that! Your experience is very different from mine, and I hope it was an unusual set of circumstances and you don't run into it again. I have been told "no" or "we're waiting for someone" sometimes at the Lido on HAL (almost never happens on Cunard). It makes you feel awkward, and for a solo it's a reminder that you don't have someone to sit with.

I do remember one time being 3 people at a 4-top when a woman took the open seat and her husband got a chair from another table and just shoved in, forcing us to move out of his way. When people are inconsiderate, there's very little you can do and it's frustrating. And the fact that there were groups on your cruise meant that people in those groups had a feeling of ownership of space, whether it was meant to be shared with others or not. I tend to use the Lido only for lunch. Sometimes I get a salad and then go back to my balcony and eat there, weather permitting. I saw a lot of the "camping out" on the K, but it was at the tables around the pool area rather than in the Lido itself. I don't imagine the staff want to annoy the card and game players--it's like the chair hogs, they just let it go.

I  had CO on the K because I was in a Neptune Suite. We had booked the cruise quite early, before my husband died, and I decided to keep it, even though for one person the NS was extravagant. I was supposed to have early fixed, large table, but that got changed because of CO. I took one look at CO and freaked. It was nearly all 2's and 4's. I did not want to eat dinner alone at a 2-top, and I did not want to be a third person added to a couple who were at a 4-top. That can be very awkward, and in fact, I did have one breakfast like that. It's very strange to sit near people who barely acknowledge your "good morning." Maybe my reaction would have been less strong if it hadn't been my first solo on HAL. But I went to the concierge and asked to get my original plan reinstated. I had breakfast in CO because I don't mind breakfast alone and the breakfast was excellent. But I had dinner in the MDR at a large table with very pleasant people. Not that the CO people were unpleasant, but the CO setup is for couples and it doesn't encourage sharing.

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words, Cunarder, and your experience with CO.  Something to think about.  Most of my cruises have been solo, and most of those on HAL, so I wasn't prepared for the kind of treatment I experienced.  

On 10/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, Lovecruisestoo said:

. . . Neptune suites guests can no longer eat breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill on the three new ships.   

Is that because there is no Pinnacle  Grill on these new ships? Or do NS cabins have to pay for Club Orange on those ships  to eat there?  I'm still trying to figure out the CO thing.  Thnx.

Edited by Walfam

4 minutes ago, Walfam said:

Is that because there is no Pinnacle  Grill on these new ships? Or do NS cabins have to pay for Club Orange on those ships  to eat there?  I'm still trying to figure out the CO thing.  Thnx.

Neptune suites do not pay extra.  They are included in Club Orange at no charge.  There are Pinnacle Grills on the ships, but no Pinnacle Grill breakfasts on Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam so Club Orange takes its place.  On all other ships, breakfast is still served in the Pinnacle Grill for Neptune and Pinnacle suite guests.  

I am so sorry to hear of your experience, Roz.  Big hugs to you.  Just yesterday I was told to sit somewhere else because I was by myself and big rude dude wanted my table.  Where it becomes wearing is when it becomes some sort of sadistic pattern and I am sorry you went through that.

My sister and I did Club Orange on the Koningsdam and we absolutely loved it.  We would have been happy to share if someone wanted to join us, but we were never asked.  I did see where some small groups who were seated next to each other eventually shared bigger tables, and I also noticed (and enjoyed) that everyone who ate there eventually became kind of like a family of friends.  You would recognize and say hi or chat to each other when you met up around the ship.  I think if you give it a chance to grow on you... and maybe have a chat with the manager about sharing... that you would really enjoy the quiet, small, and personal atmosphere.  Let us know what you think!  I would do it as a solo for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petunia1950 said:

Neptune suites do not pay extra.  They are included in Club Orange at no charge.  There are Pinnacle Grills on the ships, but no Pinnacle Grill breakfasts on Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam so Club Orange takes its place.  On all other ships, breakfast is still served in the Pinnacle Grill for Neptune and Pinnacle suite guests.  

Yes, whoever wrote the reply is correct.  The wonderful Pinnacle Grill is still there (yay!) and open for lunch and dinner on the Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam but suite guests now eat breakfast at Club Orange.    I'm always in a Neptune Suite so I, personally, hate this change.  Club Orange is not elegant like the Pinnacle and you're with a bunch of people who probably just paid for Club Orange.  In actuality, Club Orange is where the Culinary Arts Center restaurant was (which tanked).    Rumor has it they are going to offer Club Orange on all the ships ... don't know on the older ships if suite guests will still get to eat breakfast in the Pinnacle.

8 hours ago, Lovecruisestoo said:

Club Orange is not elegant like the Pinnacle and you're with a bunch of people who probably just paid for Club Orange. 

The implication of your statement being that they are lower on the social strata?

• Like 2