If Carnival stinks like day old fish, why do you continue to cruise w/them?

IPlayWithString

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, NavarreCruiser said:

I am sure there are many people who are chronic complainers and rarely satisfied.  But the Carnival cutbacks are real and do affect many people's cruise choices.  Here is the effect it has had on my cruise choices.  Carnival cruises I have taken:  2012-10, 2013-12, 2014-14, 2015-11, 2016-7, 2017-5, 2018-3, 2019 and beyond-none currently booked.  

I am with you completely......no cruise line is 'perfect', but  putting the chronic complainers aside, there have been many cutbacks (including on itineraries) that have sent us to the competition.  While we still sail CCL and think CCL's food is better than most of the mainstreams (RCI, NCL for sure etc) to be 'realistic' and call it 'as it is' is NOT complaining.  After all, that is the intent of these boards - to disseminate information.  Each of us has personal opinions, and to state them is NOT always CCL bashing ! To be a cheerleader "just because" is not a 'fair' take either - have some tolerance for varying and differing opinions.  I have learned A LOT from those not cheerleading!!

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:31 PM, IPlayWithString said:

How can you have a PARTIAL transit? I thought you were either in it or you weren't? Can you exit half way like, "Ok. hmm. This is kinda not what I expected. Imma get out now."? 

The ship goes through the first lock and then into Gatun Lake to cruise around and wait for time to go back out the same lock it came through.

On 10/26/2018 at 10:31 PM, IPlayWithString said:

How can you have a PARTIAL transit? I thought you were either in it or you weren't? Can you exit half way like, "Ok. hmm. This is kinda not what I expected. Imma get out now."? 

Something like that, except that it's planned.  You turn around halfway through and go back out the way you came in. 

2 hours ago, Thorncroft said:

Something like that, except that it's planned.  You turn around halfway through and go back out the way you came in. 

Panama transits are quite interesting with lots of facts about how it all works.  I would highly recommend it.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:48 AM, loveJake said:

I really don't think Carnival is that cheap anymore, unless you are satisfied with a dark inside cabin, won't sail without a balcony, and yes would rather cruise once a year then 2 inside

They kinda are. My wife and I, about three times a year, take the 4 day CCL cruise out of Long Beach because it is so cheap. And that is with alcohol package included. She said she books it for around $600 for the two of us (porthole or window).

When I speak to people about cruising and more to the point, Carnival in general, the majority opinion is that it's a budget cruise line filled with ghetto trash and fatties cruising around in their rascals as they head off to the buffet. (Their rhetoric...not mine). It's often thought of as the "party" cruise line based on preconceived notions.

I think their low barrier to entry (at least for the last five years of so and during the recession) lead to people trying out cruising for the bang for the buck so to speak. All it takes is one Youtube video or pic going viral for the belief system to be perpetuated.

As with alot of rumors and urban legends, things can get blown up out of proportion and suddenly a group of women having a baccalaureate party suddenly makes Carnival a "party" cruise line. Who knows, maybe Carnival likes that description.

Heck, I'd argue NCL is more "party" friendly  after my last cruise with them when I could get unlimited drinks at any given time and not limited to one. Not to mention the lack of a hard number of drinks per day.

Edited by pc_load_letter

1 hour ago, pc_load_letter said:

They kinda are. My wife and I, about three times a year, take the 4 day CCL cruise out of Long Beach because it is so cheap. And that is with alcohol package included. She said she books it for around $600 for the two of us (porthole or window).

When I speak to people about cruising and more to the point, Carnival in general, the majority opinion is that it's a budget cruise line filled with ghetto trash and fatties cruising around in their rascals as they head off to the buffet. (Their rhetoric...not mine). It's often thought of as the "party" cruise line based on preconceived notions.

I think their low barrier to entry (at least for the last five years of so and during the recession) lead to people trying out cruising for the bang for the buck so to speak. All it takes is one Youtube video or pic going viral for the belief system to be perpetuated.

As with alot of rumors and urban legends, things can get blown up out of proportion and suddenly a group of women having a baccalaureate party suddenly makes Carnival a "party" cruise line. Who knows, maybe Carnival likes that description.

Heck, I'd argue NCL is more "party" friendly  after my last cruise with them when I could get unlimited drinks at any given time and not limited to one. Not to mention the lack of a hard number of drinks per day.

I have been loyal to Carnival for years now and currently have no intention of sailing on another cruiseline for the forseeable future. However, and this topic has been discussed in other threads, if they ever took away perks from Diamonds and Platinums, and still offered them to FTTF, I would no longer be loyal to Carnival.  

Actually...we DO enjoy inside cabins. Yes, cabins with portholes or windows or heck, even a balcony, are nice. But they're not (at least as far as we're concerned) strictly necessary. We're not in the cabin enough to give a flying rat fart about a window or get much use out of a balcony (although, when we have one, I do have my coffee out there in the morning). Windows are useful because I can lay out damp shirts, bathing suits, etc and they get dry quicker than if I'd left them hanging on the line in the bathroom.

The only time I object to a cabin (inside or otherwise) is when they have the pull-down beds from the ceiling. DS won't sleep up there..he's afraid he'll fall out or fall and get hurt trying to get down to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. DH is too big a dude to sleep up there (6 ft tall, 230 something pounds) and I have the same fears as DS. That plus I have musculoskeletal issues that are exacerbating by sleeping on a thin mattress on top of a sheet of metal, as I learned the ONE time I decided to take one for the team and sleep up there. Never again. If they don't have a room available where we can get a cot (not ideal, but it'll do) or a couch that turns into a bed..fuhgeddaboutit.

On 10/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, jsglow said:

I LOVE the Blue Cards.  So excited.  Everything is so very new for them.  I've never been on a perfect cruise.  But I've also never been on a cruise that I didn't thoroughly enjoy. 

I think this is a big reason we leave to other lines. Around my 6th cruise with Carnival I started realizing that everything was geared to the new cruiser. Carnival does not appear to care that I have seen and done this same activity five times before. 

Carnival will always have a place in my cruising due to their proliferation of ships and strength of scheduling. When my wife says we can take a cruise this week only and only these three ports will work for us, Carnival almost always has a ship and cruise available at a decent price. 

19 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I think this is a big reason we leave to other lines. Around my 6th cruise with Carnival I started realizing that everything was geared to the new cruiser. Carnival does not appear to care that I have seen and done this same activity five times before. 

Carnival will always have a place in my cruising due to their proliferation of ships and strength of scheduling. When my wife says we can take a cruise this week only and only these three ports will work for us, Carnival almost always has a ship and cruise available at a decent price. 

Carnival fits in a really good niche.  It's not all things to all people.  It's not hard to know what their product is, and what their product isn't.  Every week they accommodate more cruisers than any other line.  But it's not how one plans their once in a lifetime world cruise. 

• Like 1

I am someone who used to be loyal to Carnival for many years, but who has branched out and now prefers to sail multiple cruise lines, and who hasn’t set foot on a Carnival ship in years. And what I’ve realized is that my decision to leave was NOT because Carnival changed, but because I changed.

It’s natural to seek different things as we age. What may have been appealing in my 20’s and early 30’s isn’t as appealing in my 40’s. Maybe I’ve become more adventurous and want to see new, far away destinations, or maybe I now seek a bit more brain stimulating entertainment, or maybe I’d prefer a quieter  (boring to some) experience,  more polished service, or more attention to detail. Or simply, maybe I can finally afford what I couldn’t afford 20 ago. Whatever the reason may be, I don’t place blame, badmouth, or look down on Carnival for my decision to branch out to other cruise lines. As mentioned before, I’m the one that has changed. 

Why do I keep visiting the Carnival board? Because Carnival will always feel like home. Some of my best, most fun cruise memories are aboard Carnival ships and that will never change. Any time I research cruises, I always look at Carnival, looking for the opportunity to sail on them again, but with so many choices out there these days, I always find myself booking something else. But I do look forward to sailing on Carnival again, hopefully not in a too distant future. I think it will feel good to go back.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jsglow said:

Carnival fits in a really good niche.  It's not all things to all people.  It's not hard to know what their product is, and what their product isn't.  Every week they accommodate more cruisers than any other line.  But it's not how one plans their once in a lifetime world cruise. 

Carnival isn't a niche player like others are. Carnival is arguably the best and most successful mass market cruise line in the world. It is up to the others to find a niche and carve out a piece of the pie.

30 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I am someone who used to be loyal to Carnival for many years, but who has branched out and now prefers to sail multiple cruise lines, and who hasn’t set foot on a Carnival ship in years. And what I’ve realized is that my decision to leave was NOT because Carnival changed, but because I changed.

It’s natural to seek different things as we age. What may have been appealing in my 20’s and early 30’s isn’t as appealing in my 40’s. Maybe I’ve become more adventurous and want to see new, far away destinations, or maybe I now seek a bit more brain stimulating entertainment, or maybe I’d prefer a quieter  (boring to some) experience,  more polished service, or more attention to detail. Or simply, maybe I can finally afford what I couldn’t afford 20 ago. Whatever the reason may be, I don’t place blame, badmouth, or look down on Carnival for my decision to branch out to other cruise lines. As mentioned before, I’m the one that has changed. 

Why do I keep visiting the Carnival board? Because Carnival will always feel like home. Some of my best, most fun cruise memories are aboard Carnival ships and that will never change. Any time I research cruises, I always look at Carnival, looking for the opportunity to sail on them again, but with so many choices out there these days, I always find myself booking something else. But I do look forward to sailing on Carnival again, hopefully not in a too distant future. I think it will feel good to go back.

This is beautiful.

I am taking my first CCL cruise in December. We are in our 40's and I fear I will resonate with your words...can I ask what other lines you have preferred?

29 minutes ago, BENHANDEL said:

This is beautiful.

I am taking my first CCL cruise in December. We are in our 40's and I fear I will resonate with your words...can I ask what other lines you have preferred?

Thanks. Since my last Carnival Cruise, I’ve sailed on Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Princess, MSC, and Disney. We are gearing up for another MSC Cruise in a few weeks, and I have also booked on NCL for 2019. 

There’s truly no best cruise line out there. There are things that each cruise line does better than the others, and I still haven’t found one that does everything the best. If I could take what I’d like the most from each cruise line and combine them into one, I’d have my perfect cruise line! Holland’s attention to detail, Royal’s wow factor, Princess’ cuisine, MSC’s international flair and beautiful ships, Disney’s amazing stage entertainment, and last but not least, Carnival’s laid back fun. 

Go go on you first CCL cruise with an open mind and ready to enjoy it! 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2018 at 10:46 AM, pyropoodle said:

usually, any problem I ever had on a ship is with other people.   other people leaving their trays outside of my door, other people cutting lines, other people complaining about something they don't like, etc....   I try to go with the flow.  no day is perfect in real life, so I try to turn every vacation day into a perfect day as much as I can and look over a lot of things.  The staff is ALWAYS going what I feel is above and beyond for me.  they remember my name, so much so that I took a cruise and then a year later, I took another cruise on a different ship and the waiter still remembered my name from a year previously and remembered a discussion we'd had a year previously...even where I sat in the other ship's dining room.   that is INSANE service.  

That being said, Carnival gives me the most bang for my buck, so I will sail with them as long as that is true...or until my kids realize there is an entire ship devoted to Mickey Mouse, lord help me when that happens.  I guess once they start making their own money, they can cruise with whomever they like!

There is hope even after your kids realize there is a world of Disney Cruising!  We are a huge Disney family, The Disney parks and cruising are our two "go-to" family vacations.  We took the plunge and took a Disney cruise last year even though the price tag almost made me pass out. Well, we had a lovely time, the cruise was exceptional, my kids had a blast- but our next two cruises are still with Carnival, because when I explained to the kids that we could take one Disney cruise or three carnival cruises- the kids wanted to go back to Carnival.   My boys told me "three is better than one, Mom" and I couldn't agree more! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caryatid said:

There is hope even after your kids realize there is a world of Disney Cruising!  We are a huge Disney family, The Disney parks and cruising are our two "go-to" family vacations.  We took the plunge and took a Disney cruise last year even though the price tag almost made me pass out. Well, we had a lovely time, the cruise was exceptional, my kids had a blast- but our next two cruises are still with Carnival, because when I explained to the kids that we could take one Disney cruise or three carnival cruises- the kids wanted to go back to Carnival.   My boys told me "three is better than one, Mom" and I couldn't agree more! 

this is wonderful to hear!  I would love to take a long vacation and do a week in the Disney Parks followed by a week long cruise.  that's kinda like a big vacation for when they are both kind of old enough .  my son is 4 and my daughter is 15 months, so, maybe when they are closer to 8 and 5 or 9 & 6 we can splurge and do both.   luckily, I am a PLANNER, so I set future vacation goals and save money towards those goals so it doesn't kill us.  i already have a couple of vacation funds set up and it really adds up fast. 

that being said, cruising with carnival does help keep me on budget and even if we do the mouse cruise, I know we'd come back to carnival again.  I'd love for my kids to be Platinum members before they are teenagers.

Edited by pyropoodle

29 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

this is wonderful to hear!  I would love to take a long vacation and do a week in the Disney Parks followed by a week long cruise.  that's kinda like a big vacation for when they are both kind of old enough .  my son is 4 and my daughter is 15 months, so, maybe when they are closer to 8 and 5 or 9 & 6 we can splurge and do both.

For my oldest son’s high school graduation trip we went to Disney World for a week then a week Carnival cruise. It was perfect for us!!

We returned last weekend from 7 day on Freedom. I have to say it was one of my most enjoyable cruises ever. I was not too excited about itinerary but it was one we had not done before, Key West, Freeport and Nassau. I think reading the constant criticism made me take note of things I probably normally wouldn't and with that I have to say I was even more impressed. We had excellent service in MDR and steakhouse, our room steward was fantastic and the entire staff was friendly everywhere. It seemed even the other passengers were nicer, I never heard any complaining, or seen any rudeness beyond occasional lack of consideration for others at times but nothing bad. I am early riser and enjoy walking around on deck with my coffee, and chair hogging was at a minimum. We had taken a couple of years off from cruising and embarkation with set times was so much smoother and quicker than previous cruises I think that got it off to a good start and set the tone.  Maybe I am just easy to please.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2018 at 3:27 AM, RWolver672 said:

It's all about personal choice.  It's no different than which is better - Ford or GM.  It's what you prefer and if others don't like my  preference, that's their problem, not mine.  We've always enjoyed our Carnival cruises.  Tried another line once and didn't like it so we went right back to Carnival.  Even in bad weather, we still had fun.

I've cruised CCL, NCL and RCCI.  All have their good points.  I cruise for price and schedule.  NCL had the better schedule for us to go to Alaska.  When CCL got their Cloud 9 spas updates, that changed it for me.  It put them in another level for me.  But it's really all about attitude.  I'm not one to expect a lot.  I know what I pay, it is not 4 star prices.  

After a disappointing most recent cruise, I did look at MSC....then when I read others' reviews of the style of their entertainment shows, main dining room dress requirements, and general mood on the ship, I have (bravely?) booked again for a Carnival Fun Ship!  

I am sincerely hoping that the Legend will have better food and faster MDR service, a cabin steward who does at least the bare minimum for us (sorely lacking last time!) and a fun family trip.  Oh, I so want to be content and enjoy this upcoming celebration 🙂

59 minutes ago, TEXSUN46 said:

We returned last weekend from 7 day on Freedom. I have to say it was one of my most enjoyable cruises ever. I was not too excited about itinerary but it was one we had not done before, Key West, Freeport and Nassau. I think reading the constant criticism made me take note of things I probably normally wouldn't and with that I have to say I was even more impressed. We had excellent service in MDR and steakhouse, our room steward was fantastic and the entire staff was friendly everywhere. It seemed even the other passengers were nicer, I never heard any complaining, or seen any rudeness beyond occasional lack of consideration for others at times but nothing bad. I am early riser and enjoy walking around on deck with my coffee, and chair hogging was at a minimum. We had taken a couple of years off from cruising and embarkation with set times was so much smoother and quicker than previous cruises I think that got it off to a good start and set the tone.  Maybe I am just easy to please.

This is pretty close to our experience on our first cruise after a 7 year hiatus. After we booked, I had about a year to read all the rants and raves, so I didn't know what to expect, but was later pleasantly surprised how great our cruise was. But, like you, we are pretty easy to please...well, most of the time 😉  

9 hours ago, caryatid said:

I am hoping my kids agree. We took one Disney cruise to see "if we liked cruising."  Our upcoming CCL cruise will probably be a better answer to that, lol.