Transatlantic Southampton round trip-day in New York questions

smokey01

On 11/10/2018 at 3:41 AM, smokey01 said:

Can you buy tickets on the ferry if you don't have time to purchase them on the dock if a ferry is about to leave?

On 11/18/2018 at 8:12 AM, Pennbank said:

Yes

Pennbank, do they take credit cards on the ferry or must it be cash?  Might be a problem for somebody coming from England.

Roy

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Pennbank, do they take credit cards on the ferry or must it be cash?  Might be a problem for somebody coming from England.

Roy

I don't Know. I would imagine. But You can just use a Credit Card on The Machine at the Dock as sometimes the machines  do not accept Cash.

IMG_2038.jpeg

Edited by Pennbank

The card reader may be an old-fashioned mag stripe reader - may not be chip enabled [have not checked personally]

Just checked the ferry website - there is a buy online / display in app option that bypasses credit card issues. See https://www.ferry.nyc/ticketing-info/

Edited by TheOldBear
added ferry info

14 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The card reader may be an old-fashioned mag stripe reader - may not be chip enabled [have not checked personally]

Just checked the ferry website - there is a buy online / display in app option that bypasses credit card issues. See https://www.ferry.nyc/ticketing-info/

I Have used my Credit card on the machine, You have to put the Card into the machine . There was no contactless option.

Edited by Pennbank

On 11/18/2018 at 9:50 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Ditto to how steve1young describe the feeling.

Being a survivor that morning's attack on 9-11, how beautiful they designed the memorial site. If you get a chance try to include the Museum at the site. It will truly give you a the true meaning and visible results of the attack itself. A true reflection of what was experienced that morning.

If you are walking from the Wall Street Ferry/Staten Island Ferry you can walk thru Battery Park and view the Sphere with it's memorial flame that once stood in the middle of the World Trade Center Plaza till that morning. It was moved to that site but was thought to be included in the memorial but space was not available. You will see the damage to it from the falling building debris.

Enjoy NYC, the Big Apple..... 

Hi BklynBoy8, They've finally moved the Sphere to what I think to be a beautiful and honorary spot in Liberty Park (the elevated park across the street from and overlooking the south side of the 9/11 Memorial Park). It sounds like the Sphere was very important to you. I'm hoping you get to see it there, and approve of its new position. Regards, Steve

On 11/19/2018 at 4:19 PM, Pennbank said:

I Have used my Credit card on the machine, You have to put the Card into the machine . There was no contactless option.

Ah, but if your card is chip-only without a mag stripe (as I understand some European cards to be) many US kiosks might only have stripe readers. If you swipe or dip your card it isn't reading the chip (unless the "dip" instructs you to leave the card inserted).

5 hours ago, steve1young said:

Hi BklynBoy8, They've finally moved the Sphere to what I think to be a beautiful and honorary spot in Liberty Park (the elevated park across the street from and overlooking the south side of the 9/11 Memorial Park). It sounds like the Sphere was very important to you. I'm hoping you get to see it there, and approve of its new position. Regards, Steve

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the information. Yes the WTC was important to me as I always loved visiting it when in Manhattan when seeing my wife working in the World Financial Center and playing tourist for the day.

The very last day was on 9/7 when we were seeing our friend that was going to run our 25th Anniversary two days later. I did take a picture of the Plaza and Sphere not knowing it was the last time I would see it and take a photo. It was a beautiful day with a Rock Concert in the Plaza at lunch time for the WTC workers. They just was finishing putting in Mums around the Sphere that would not make it thru the Fall.

Funny the way we take advantage of what is around us and see everyday and not realize how it can disappear the next day.

Experiencing 9/11 that morning, it is still very hard to make our way down there to see it even though everyone else sees it as a tourist site.

P.S. I never thought I would experience that day again after also working as a rescue worker at the 1993 WTC attack.  

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1