Ship time compared to San Juan Time

MaiseyM

We are going on Harmony in December and I want to do my own thing in San Juan, as we were just there two years ago doing the RCI tour.  We wanted to visit some restaurants but be back with more than enough time for the ship to leave, since we are not doing a Royal tour.  The itinerary says that the ship leaves at 2PM.  I want to be back by noon (at latest), so I have two hours to spare, just in case. If the ship says it departs at 2PM, does anyone know if that happens to be San Juan time as well?

If it's ship time at 2PM, is it San Juan time at 2PM?  

I am looking at restaurants nearby the ship that are open early so I can be done eating at noon.  I want to use Yelp for opening times of restaurants but not sure if it's the same time as ship time.

It is up to the ship to decide if they want to change time to match a destination or not. San Juan doesn't observe daylight savings so they will be an hour ahead of EST. With the time just changing overnight it could be a couple of cruises depending of schedule to see if the ship changes time or not currently. 

6 minutes ago, bwest the man said:

It is up to the ship to decide if they want to change time to match a destination or not. San Juan doesn't observe daylight savings so they will be an hour ahead of EST. With the time just changing overnight it could be a couple of cruises depending of schedule to see if the ship changes time or not currently. 

bwest has it correct.   It is totally up to the Captain to decide whether or not ship's time will match local time.   And, to boot, some captains have been known to change it from sailing to sailing.

so, there is no way to know until you see the cruise compass the night before.

Steve

The ship will leave at 2pm ship time, that may or may not correspond to San Juan Time, just make sure you have your watch set to ship time when you get off and all will be fine, do not rely on a cell phone as it may change to local time, and that may be different to ship time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you!   Good to know about cell phone time changing. It may just be easier to set a timer on my cell phone to count down the hours left before it leaves.  I’m  paranoid about missing the ship.  😂. Thanks. 

When we were there in late November, San Juan was one hour ahead of ship’s time.  You will just have to check to make sure you stay on ship time.

We always set our phones to a time zone that is the same as the ship time, and turn off the option that sets time automatically.  That way we have the correct ship time on the phone.  We used the same method on our cruise from the west coast to Hawaii, to keep our phone time the same as the ship time.

Harmony stays on Eastern time.  When Daylight Saving Time is not in effect (Early November-Mid March), San Juan is 1 hour ahead of ship's time.  When it is in effect, San Juan is the same as ship's time since they don't observe DST.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

Harmony stays on Eastern time.  When Daylight Saving Time is not in effect (Early November-Mid March), San Juan is 1 hour ahead of ship's time.  When it is in effect, San Juan is the same as ship's time since they don't observe DST.

Different ships and even week to week sailing on a ship can change as I only sail B2B in Fall. One week ship will be 2 hrs ahead, next one when Daylight Changing happens. Sailing on Serenade I've changed clocks twice and at times 3 times on a single Caribbean cruise to match Ship Time which is only correct time...

You can set smart devices to NOT change to local time zone.

Or, leave it in Airplane Mode so it does not connect to the local cell service and get updated time.  But if may update if you connect to wifi.

Walmart or Target and a cheap wind up watch and you are good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

TG for the RC app.  The app always showed ship time, so I could default to that as well.  We had our Verizon data plan work just fine (and included) in San Juan, so we were always able to look at ship time on the app if we needed to figure it out.