New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

The Key post is pretty saturated so I wanted to ask quickly - for my wife and I for Symphony cruise in May we just booked, would THE KEY be worth it for us? We will not use the flow rider stuff, or rock climbing. For the VIP shows can you book those seats pre-cruise? Is the priority boarding, ports, etc worth the time? 

I'm seeing the Key show up in my cruise planner for $19.99 a day for my Freedom of the Seas sailing this summer.  At first I didn't think it was worth it because I originally booked a suite.  Well, I just changed back to a balcony cabin to save some money.

I love the idea of a Chops lunch.  We have always fought the crowds in the WJ.  We will be getting surf/surf & stream for two of us.  But one question I have is, the "priority check in".  Is that with suite/pinnacle guests?  We are sailing out of San Juan and our last two cruises out of that port, we stood outside in the hot, humid air LOL.  We have not experienced that in any other departure port.

So I guess my second question is...if you board with suite/pinnacle guests, are you able to go inside the terminal to wait?  Is it a lot quicker for those guests?  Thanks....

Edited by slyster

18 hours ago, Ivana Cruise said:

Here is our departure letter in our stateroom tonight. We depart on Saturday. 

image.jpg

Thanks for posting!  I usually do walk off and wondered about procedure with The Key - this answered my questions!

2 hours ago, SouthernAccent said:

The Key post is pretty saturated so I wanted to ask quickly - for my wife and I for Symphony cruise in May we just booked, would THE KEY be worth it for us? We will not use the flow rider stuff, or rock climbing. For the VIP shows can you book those seats pre-cruise? Is the priority boarding, ports, etc worth the time? 

The questions I would ask myself to determine if it's worth it:

• Do you plan to get the higher speed Surf & Stream Voom Internet? If yes, how much is it currently going for? (hint: price against 1 person, 2 devices)
  • If it were available, would you opt for a relatively less hectic lunch at Chops on embarkation day? If yes, that's a $22 pp value.
  • For the remainder of the cost ask yourself if it's worth that amount to you not to have to line up 30-45 minutes early to get a good show seat (reservations are for show times, but not for specific seats or section).
  • Do you want to get on the ship as early as possible to explore, sit by the pool, experience the slides, etc.?
  • Are you the type that wants to get off the ship in the ports as soon as possible?
  • Do you plan to take your carry-on luggage with you when you board? If so, would you like to at some point before cabins are available (~1:00) to drop them off for cabin delivery?  The advantage here is, from reports, your carry-ons will be in your cabin when you get there, your port checked baggage can take some time before arriving.
  • Is it worth it to you not to have to stand in a sometimes long line on debarkation day?

Place our luggage outside our door before 10pm? Uh, no thanks. Not going to just place outside the door for any Joe Schmoe to take it. I’ll have to ask them if I can instead drop the luggage off somewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Lagrik said:

Place our luggage outside our door before 10pm? Uh, no thanks. Not going to just place outside the door for any Joe Schmoe to take it. I’ll have to ask them if I can instead drop the luggage off somewhere. 

Edit--I see you mean that you're worried about putting it in the hall.  Never had an issue. Of course you keep your valuables, meds, items you need in the morning with you.  

Edited by rockmom

13 minutes ago, Lagrik said:

Have you not sailed before? This is what everyone does...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

Have you not sailed before? This is what everyone does...

Nope. Will be my first time. Thanks for the corrections.  Didn’t realize it’s standard procedure for all. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lagrik said:

Also, you know your luggage will be placed in the hallway and not in your stateroom when you board the ship too.  It might not be right outside your door, but will be in the general vicinity.  That's why you bring on essentials in your carry on so that you have things you need for the several hours it might take before you see your luggage--mine has usually shown up around dinnertime.  And again, don't worry!  🙂  But you may want to make sure your bag is easily spotted so you don't have to hunt through every black suitcase looking for your name tag.  Just like finding it on the belt at the airport.  

Edited by rockmom

13 minutes ago, Lagrik said:

Nope. Will be my first time. Thanks for the corrections.  Didn’t realize it’s standard procedure for all. 

Thank you!

You can keep your luggage with you IF you self disembark BUT they will not assist in any way with bags and you have to be one of the first off the ship.  It can be cumbersome to lug your bags around to get off the ship because that last morning you can't access all elevators/all floors as you have in previous days.

That said, we usually do this, so I don't have to worry about putting my bags off and so I can take them straight off, but it isn't for everyone!

1 hour ago, Lagrik said:

Since this is your first cruise just be aware that If you opt to put your luggage out the night before, it will have been picked up sometime during the night. Make sure you keep everything you will need in the morning like clothes etc. Wouldn't want to leave the ship in your PJ,'s😊

1 hour ago, Lagrik said:

Thank you!

When we sailed the Oasis of the Seas, we had a little problem with our  luggage .

We place all our shoes in the outside zipper compartment of our luggage that was placed in the hall.

Somewhere between our luggage being placed in the hall (we used luggage valet),  and upon arrival in Cleveland, one pair of MK sandels  (sp)  were um missing.

Not saying it was at the ship, airport or where, but gone.

We now place on all our bags TSA approved locks and put nothing valuable in zipper compartments.

Just saying

Safe travels.

3 hours ago, Lagrik said:

Like everyone has said -- it's common practice on all cruiselines.  Just don't put anything you'll need the next morning, like clothes and toiletries (keep out a duffel or extra totebag in order to carry those off the ship) OR anything of value.  

We always have a rolling carryon with us, which holds the camera, chargers, and meds.  And we use TSA locks until we get to the airport.  We never use locks when we check luggage -- we've had too many locks damaged and lost at the airport in the past.  However, before going to the ship the next day (we always fly in at least one day early), the locks go back on.

Have a great first cruise!  Hope you become addicted like the rest of us!!

4 hours ago, Lagrik said:

As the others have said, this is what you do on a cruise if you don't want to carry your own bags off the ship.  And the bags will most likely be left in the hall upon arrival if you don't carry them on, too.

This is one of the reasons why my kids and I travel with carry on luggage only (who needs tons of clothing on a cruise when you spend most of the day in a swimsuit?) and carry it on and off the ship ourselves.  

14 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

As the others have said, this is what you do on a cruise if you don't want to carry your own bags off the ship.  And the bags will most likely be left in the hall upon arrival if you don't carry them on, too.

This is one of the reasons why my kids and I travel with carry on luggage only (who needs tons of clothing on a cruise when you spend most of the day in a swimsuit?) and carry it on and off the ship ourselves.  

uummm... Good luck with that on a 12 night Baltic or Alaskan Cruise 😉

dp

Edited by dpostman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dpostman said:

uummm... Good luck with that on a 12 night Baltic or Alaskan Cruise 😉

dp

It worked just fine for a 7 night Alaskan cruise plus 4 nights in Vancouver and Whistler.  🤷‍♀️  We had unlimited laundry at a fabulous price, so we sent out a bag every day and had clean clothing whenever we needed it.  No need to check luggage.

22 hours ago, SoCA6ft5 said:

If so, would you like to at some point before cabins are available (~1:00) to drop them off for cabin delivery?  The advantage here is, from reports, your carry-ons will be in your cabin when you get there, your port checked baggage can take some time before arriving.

I have difficulty understanding the advantage of dropping carry-ons off for cabin delivery, if you are having lunch at Chops.  Would it not be easier to simply bring the carry-on luggage to Chops rather than to make a detour to the drop-off point?  Surely, the cabins will be ready by the time you are done with lunch at Chops and, most likely, you will be going from Chops to your cabin so you might as well have your carry-on luggage with you.

4 minutes ago, actuarian said:

I have difficulty understanding the advantage of dropping carry-ons off for cabin delivery, if you are having lunch at Chops.  Would it not be easier to simply bring the carry-on luggage to Chops rather than to make a detour to the drop-off point?  Surely, the cabins will be ready by the time you are done with lunch at Chops and, most likely, you will be going from Chops to your cabin so you might as well have your carry-on luggage with you.

Many different reasons for different people.  Some may have their 12-pack of water or soda in their 'carry on'.  Some might have their two bottles of wine.  Some might have both those things.  Heavy to lug around even with wheels.  If Chops is packed due to so many dining on embarkation day, it might be a problem if everyone had their carry on bags with them.  As far as racing up to their cabin, many may not choose to do so if they know their carry ons are in their room. Some might decide to explore the ship, sit in the sun, have a cocktail, go to the excursion desk, check their table assingments or whatever before going to their cabin to get ready for muster and sailaway.  I know that when I was lugging around my backpack with 2 bottles of wine while checking out the ship this past summer, I would have gladly made the stop to drop it off.  But to each their own, not everyone will see value in some or even all the perks of the Key.  

20 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Many different reasons for different people.  Some may have their 12-pack of water or soda in their 'carry on'.  Some might have their two bottles of wine.  Some might have both those things.  Heavy to lug around even with wheels.  If Chops is packed due to so many dining on embarkation day, it might be a problem if everyone had their carry on bags with them.  As far as racing up to their cabin, many may not choose to do so if they know their carry ons are in their room. Some might decide to explore the ship, sit in the sun, have a cocktail, go to the excursion desk, check their table assingments or whatever before going to their cabin to get ready for muster and sailaway.  I know that when I was lugging around my backpack with 2 bottles of wine while checking out the ship this past summer, I would have gladly made the stop to drop it off.  But to each their own, not everyone will see value in some or even all the perks of the Key.  

I understand all of that.  The problem for me is that that the description of the benefit says "Drop-off located in main theater onboard".  On every Royal Caribbean ship, the main theater is in the forward end of the ship and Chops is either mid-ship or aft.  To me, that is a lot of extra walking and I would rather not walk from the embarkation point (usually mid-ship) to the main theater carrying or even wheeling a 12-pack of water or soda and then have to walk all the way back to Chops.  On the other hand, my wife and I are in our 70s and the extra walking might not matter to younger people.

We're new to cruising; first cruise will be on the Mariner this August.  We're booked in a suite, but it seems like we could have booked a balcony and purchased The Key and saved quite a bit of money and gotten some better benefits.  As best I can tell, the only thing a suite gives you that the Key doesn't (besides a bigger cabin) is the suite lounge and a more expansive room service menu.  

But if we were in a balcony cabin and purchase the Key, we still get priority access on and off the ship and VIP seating at the shows, plus we'd also get lunch at Chops on the first day, internet and special access to Flowrider?  

I'm wondering if we should change our reservation and book a balcony cabin instead.  Any thoughts on that from those of you with some cruising experience?  Since deposits for suite cabins are non-refundable, can you downshift without losing your deposit?

3 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

It worked just fine for a 7 night Alaskan cruise plus 4 nights in Vancouver and Whistler.  🤷‍♀️  We had unlimited laundry at a fabulous price, so we sent out a bag every day and had clean clothing whenever we needed it.  No need to check luggage.

Well then I bow to you as you are clearly a better packer that we are.  I'm still hoping I can fit everything in a Full size and a carry on on our upcoming Baltic 12 nighter.  I probably will bring a swimsuit but 90% chance I won't even wear it once.

dp

Edited by dpostman

3 hours ago, actuarian said:

Does lunch at Chops without Key on boarding day require reservations?

4 hours ago, Grenouille21 said:

Works fine for us, too. 

1 hour ago, Free Water said:

We're new to cruising; first cruise will be on the Mariner this August.  We're booked in a suite, but it seems like we could have booked a balcony and purchased The Key and saved quite a bit of money and gotten some better benefits.  As best I can tell, the only thing a suite gives you that the Key doesn't (besides a bigger cabin) is the suite lounge and a more expansive room service menu.  

But if we were in a balcony cabin and purchase the Key, we still get priority access on and off the ship and VIP seating at the shows, plus we'd also get lunch at Chops on the first day, internet and special access to Flowrider?  

I'm wondering if we should change our reservation and book a balcony cabin instead.  Any thoughts on that from those of you with some cruising experience?  Since deposits for suite cabins are non-refundable, can you downshift without losing your deposit?

Yes, you will get those benefits, plus internet and a couple others. 

We downgraded from a Grand Suite to a balcony when we saw The Key for that very reason.  Saved almost 4K on a 12-day cruise and still have most suite perks, plus some perks not offered in a suite. (On Brilliance).   We did not lose our deposit.  It stays with the reservation.  (Brilliance doesn't have priority seating at the pool like some other ships).