New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

14 hours ago, CRUIS4ME said:

..whatever happened to the time one would think going on a cruise vacation was special enough....just call me crazy....

I don't think that time ever existed.  There have always been different classes of cabins that came with different perks, different onboard and port experiences you can purchase, loyalty status.  Does a cruise ship exist where every cabin is exactly the same and each guest has access to everything every other guest has access to, all at no extra cost?  I doubt it.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2019 at 10:55 AM, blueridgemama said:

Did you make your reservations for the shows on the ship or online before your cruise? Can you ask if reservations are necessary?

On 1/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, cbc cruiser said:

I don't understand the confusion regarding needing reservations for priority seating. It clearly states on my overview for the key before I purchased, "Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED PRE-CRUISE OR ONBOARD"

If they don't honor that, then I won't honor the full price being charged. This is a stated benefit that we are paying for.

They have changed the wording and it now says reservations are necessary. They can change the terms and conditions at any time. And you agreed to the when you purchased. Make reservations or waste your time arguing with the crew about it. seems to be a pointless waste of time on your vacation. If you do not wish to make reservations, this is why you bought it, you are able to cancel and get a full refund.

I know it is disappointing, I really liked the no reservation feature also. Alas it is gone. It has been reported by numerous people that have sailed, reservations required.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:31 AM, cbc cruiser said:

I don't understand the confusion regarding needing reservations for priority seating. It clearly states on my overview for the key before I purchased, "Reserved priority seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED PRE-CRUISE OR ONBOARD"

If they don't honor that, then I won't honor the full price being charged. This is a stated benefit that we are paying for.

I just found this out on Monday.  I bought The Key on 1/1/19, I sail out on 3/9.  All the shows are just about sold out online.  The only reason I didn't reserve any where because it explicitly stated that I didn't have to!!  This is my first time sailing with Royal Caribbean and its not off to a good start.  I did the Royal Up thing and got totally screwed on that!!!  I went by the picture on the bidding website when I was bidding on a room upgrade and the room I got is not even CLOSE to the room I bid on.  When I called they said it was my fault because I shouldn't have trusted the picture.  They had a picture of my current stateroom and then a picture next to every room I could bid on.  Why wouldn't I trust it if you are going to show me a picture of my current room and then see how much better my room could be if I upgraded.  They just kept telling me how it's my fault and would never admit they screwed up.  I bid on a 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' and later I found out that it was a picture of the 'Ultra Spacious Ocean View with Large Balcony'.  How is that NOT False Advertising.  I ended up winning a bid on 'Ocean View with Large Balcony' which was not even something I bid on.  !@$*^&#*^#*(^#&#

8 minutes ago, Red Rock Feaver said:

What is the difference between the full suite perks and the KEY?

Suite benefits include entry into suite lounge, CL or whatever it may be called on that ship.  So far RCL hasn't come up with a price to include that (just being sarcastic).   I'm sure there are others but it is in the thread somewhere.  It seems benefits vary from ship to ship and benefits are taken away without notice,

Edited by parrotfeathers

1 hour ago, AshleyRC said:

I just found this out on Monday.  I bought The Key on 1/1/19, I sail out on 3/9.  All the shows are just about sold out online.  The only reason I didn't reserve any where because it explicitly stated that I didn't have to!!  This is my first time sailing with Royal Caribbean and its not off to a good start.  I did the Royal Up thing and got totally screwed on that!!!  I went by the picture on the bidding website when I was bidding on a room upgrade and the room I got is not even CLOSE to the room I bid on.  When I called they said it was my fault because I shouldn't have trusted the picture.  They had a picture of my current stateroom and then a picture next to every room I could bid on.  Why wouldn't I trust it if you are going to show me a picture of my current room and then see how much better my room could be if I upgraded.  They just kept telling me how it's my fault and would never admit they screwed up.  I bid on a 'Spacious Ocean View Balcony' and later I found out that it was a picture of the 'Ultra Spacious Ocean View with Large Balcony'.  How is that NOT False Advertising.  I ended up winning a bid on 'Ocean View with Large Balcony' which was not even something I bid on.  !@$*^&#*^#*(^#&#

I would call and ask to speak with a representative who is familiar with the Key program (not just any rep) and explain your situation of not making reservations because you were not aware that you needed to because of the original wording on the Key benefits. Hopefully they will be able to help you.

1 minute ago, blueridgemama said:

I would call and ask to speak with a representative who is familiar with the Key program (not just any rep) and explain your situation of not making reservations because you were not aware that you needed to because of the original wording on the Key benefits. Hopefully they will be able to help you.

I did, I talked to several people and of course its my fault for not checking on this everyday...they are HORRIBLE!!!!  I seriously hate RC.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AshleyRC said:

I did, I talked to several people and of course its my fault for not checking on this everyday...they are HORRIBLE!!!!  I seriously hate RC.

It's unfortunate that they would not help you. Did you ask to speak with a supervisor? Since it's too late to cancel your cruise I hope you will be able to put these unfortunate things behind you and enjoy your cruise as much as possible. I would definitely follow up with a complaint to their customer service.

8 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

It's unfortunate that they would not help you. Did you ask to speak with a supervisor? Since it's too late to cancel your cruise I hope you will be able to put these unfortunate things behind you and enjoy your cruise as much as possible. I would definitely follow up with a complaint to their customer service.

Deep breath, you're going on vacation 🙂  I know, and I completely get, the frustration but please note - the shows are NOT sold out, even if they show they can't still be reserved online - they always hold back rooms for the majority of passengers who don't know they need to reserve in advance.  I'd recommend heading to guest services after you get to your cabin and receive your key schedule that should be in your room and if you find you need to fill in reservations then head to guest services and explain you booked when it said it wasn't needed and could they now help you resolve this?

I know I can be hot headed, but I find so often a deep breath and smile go much further!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Deep breath, you're going on vacation 🙂  I know, and I completely get, the frustration but please note - the shows are NOT sold out, even if they show they can't still be reserved online - they always hold back rooms for the majority of passengers who don't know they need to reserve in advance.  I'd recommend heading to guest services after you get to your cabin and receive your key schedule that should be in your room and if you find you need to fill in reservations then head to guest services and explain you booked when it said it wasn't needed and could they now help you resolve this?

I know I can be hot headed, but I find so often a deep breath and smile go much further!

great advice☺

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AshleyRC said:

May I ask where on website you go to make reservations for the shows with the key I am interested in mystery dinner

Edited by Cruising Cheryl 61

2 hours ago, AshleyRC said:

I agree!  I am trying to just sit back and enjoy it and realize it is what it is.  Still so excited to be on this boat. 

I didn't catch which ship you are on. I think which ship really matters when it comes to The Key and show reservations. I was on Oasis last week and the reservation situation seems to be not well defined. The verbiage on my cruise planner did not change to state I needed reservations before my cruise. However, when I got to my stateroom, the Key letter in there said reservations were needed. (I had reservations anyway since I made reservations before buying the Key, so I didn't care).

In actual practice, they didn't require me to have reservations. When I went into Cats, the guy looked at The Key and let us in without scanning. When the AquaTheater broke and we decided to go to the ice show instead (i.e, no reservations), the woman said she needed to scan my card, but I would be able to go in even without reservation. No problem there either.

I think implementation is ship dependent. It looks like Anthem is strict about reservations, but Oasis is not. But I don't know if Oasis is shifting policy. I don't think they need to, it looked like it worked with no problems last week.

Worst case, go in with standby and you will still get a good seat in The Key section. Just be sure to get there before the Seat Keeper leaves (5 min before show).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Suite benefits include entry into suite lounge, CL or whatever it may be called on that ship.  So far RCL hasn't come up with a price to include that (just being sarcastic).   

OMG.... do you work for RC? I'm guessing you invented The Key? :classic_wink::classic_ninja:

That is just brilliant and goes hand in hand with RC's current culture of milking $$$ for things on board as much as possible... Gold? Platinum? Emerald??.... No problem! Swipe your SeaPass at any DL, CL, or SL and your Seapass will be charged $19.99 (PLUS 18% gratuity of course) to enter that lounge and get your 3 free drinks.

I'll take it a step further... you want to see a Headliner? No problem! As you enter the theatre, swipe your wrist band as you go through the turnstyle and you'll be charged $9.99 (PLUS 18% gratuity of course) to see the show.

You want to go to the Comedy Club? Have dinner in the MDR instead of buffet? You want to use the Solarium?? Easy, swipe your Seapass through the turnstyle and you'll be charged......

Or simply buy The Key for $199.00 and have access to everything for your entire 7 day cruise 🤬

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:06 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

..whatever happened to the time one would think going on a cruise vacation was special enough....just call me crazy....

Oh, you mean that GOLDEN AGE when cruises cost four times as much for the cheapest inside cabins. Yeah, THOSE were the days! :classic_wink:

• Like 2

Just finishing day 7 on the  Harmony of the Seas. I have been following this thread since the beginning of "THE KEY". 

We had an arrival time of 1:00pm but got to the port at 10:30. We were sat in the key area and the time didn't mean anything. You were now a key guest with express boarding.  I am guessing but I would say there were not more then 100-120 key people.  We were allowed to board after the suites and before platinum members. 

Once on the  ship due to reading these threads we assumed we had to go to the theater for our ship cards - - there were others with us just as confused.  We were told to go directly to our staterooms which were ready and you were able to drop off your bags in the room, gets your seapass cards and internet code. 

We then headed to chops for lunch.  We waited about five minutes to be seated. 

We took the key for two reasons.  My boys are avid flowriders and we normally buy semi private group lessons and we felt this would save us money.  It totally did.  First flowrider key session it was just my two kids.  The other times it would start out with about four people for 30 minutes and then slowly a few others would trickle in. 

The other was not having to run from dinner to find a seat.  Seating for the shows was very much stress free.  You went to the suite area and there was always plenty of key seating available.  You MUST make a reservation to use your key seating otherwise you are a standby like everyone else. 

We have been thanked by Royal Carribean for being key guests by being sent fruit, key shaped cookies and chocolate covered strawberries to our rooms at different times during the cruise. 

On our Port day at Labidee we were given priority debarkation and we thought that was great, except when we got outside there were already hundreds of guests that had exited from a different gangway and many other hundreda right behind us.  Totally didn't make a difference having that perk. Only one thing left to report on would be the leisure breakfast and debarkation process.  To be continued. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Has anyone used this at Port Canaveral?  I have had 2 miserable debarkation and both were at PC.  It is almost worth it to me to have the Key just to avoid the 90 minute line with all of our stuff and tired cranky kids!!  

Edited by momto2js

11 hours ago, momto2js said:

Has anyone used this at Port Canaveral?  I have had 2 miserable debarkation and both were at PC.  It is almost worth it to me to have the Key just to avoid the 90 minute line with all of our stuff and tired cranky kids!!  

Use a porter.

• Like 1