New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

I don't see they'd credit it back, as they're separate packages. The Key is broader, and not specific internet so I don't see it credited back as they couldn't put a value of the internet component of key - and wouldnt' give you a full credit as it's a package (so each component isn't valued in full).

19 minutes ago, Shellyoder45 said:

I'm guessing I misunderstood your original answer.  Moot point now as we're not going to purchase the key.  We made our decision tonight.  For the record, I was just looking to see if could get my single day of internet service credited to my account if I purchased the key.  And based on your answer about going down to the kiosk to get a credit I assumed that's what you were telling me to do.  I wanted the credit for my day of free internet applied if I was able to use it to save myself money.  If I'm not able to do that, that's fine.  But that was my question.  Never once did I mention the intention to let someone else use the credit.  Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.  

The Key includes internet as part of the program -- it's not a separate line item.  

So your Diamond coupon wouldn't be "applied as a credit" on board because you wouldn't be buying anything on board if you already had The Key. 

You could, however, purchase an extra device's internet access with your Diamond coupon.  But you wouldn't get any money back off your purchase of The Key.  

15 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I don't see they'd credit it back, as they're separate packages. The Key is broader, and not specific internet so I don't see it credited back as they couldn't put a value of the internet component of key - and wouldnt' give you a full credit as it's a package (so each component isn't valued in full).

15 hours ago, brillohead said:

The Key includes internet as part of the program -- it's not a separate line item.  

So your Diamond coupon wouldn't be "applied as a credit" on board because you wouldn't be buying anything on board if you already had The Key. 

You could, however, purchase an extra device's internet access with your Diamond coupon.  But you wouldn't get any money back off your purchase of The Key.  

Thank you both!  That answers my question. 🙂  

• Like 1

I'll be on Independence of the Seas for my first Royal cruise this Thursday.  I've purchased the Key.  Can anyone explain the benefit of the luggage drop off in the theater?  How/why is this a better option than giving to the porters dockside?

Thanks.

Just now, Lupush said:

Can anyone explain the benefit of the luggage drop off in the theater?  How/why is this a better option than giving to the porters dockside?

That drop is meant mainly for carry-on luggage, not big suit cases you give to porters.

1 minute ago, Lupush said:

I'll be on Independence of the Seas for my first Royal cruise this Thursday.  I've purchased the Key.  Can anyone explain the benefit of the luggage drop off in the theater?  How/why is this a better option than giving to the porters dockside?

Thanks.

It’s your hand luggage you can hand over at the theatre so you don’t have to lug it around whilst waiting for your room to be available. You main luggage is still given to the porters,

Just now, mondas42 said:

It’s your hand luggage you can hand over at the theatre so you don’t have to lug it around whilst waiting for your room to be available. You main luggage is still given to the porters,

Ahh, I see.   Thanks so much!

12 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Does anyone have an issue with cash, electronics, medication, jewelry, etc. in carryon luggage being dropped off in the theater?  Or, am I paranoid?

I would not be comfortable leaving high value items. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Does anyone have an issue with cash, electronics, medication, jewelry, etc. in carryon luggage being dropped off in the theater?  Or, am I paranoid?

1 hour ago, Lupush said:

Thanks.

The attraction, I'd say, is the difference between dropping your luggage off outside the ship (to porters you could likely never identify, who are also handling possibly 5 to 7 thousand other bags), and inside the ship (in an attended room receiving a handwritten recept from a crew member looking after 100 other peoples' stuff). If we ever do the key, we will leave outfits and sandals in our larger carryons in the theater and just carry documents, expensive things and meds in a light backpack to take to lunch with us.  

I was always reluctant to leave our stuff with hotel valets while waiting for check in, but got over it after a few times. This seems like that, while the other luggage handling seems more like airline carousels (more that way on disemb, tho).

Edited by mayleeman
Clarified sentence.
  • Like 1

From what I can tell, everybody that has reported back here about their experience with The Key had their lunch at Chops. Has anybody had their Key lunch at Jamie's or been offered that?  My May cruise says lunch at Chops or Jamie's. Curious about the lunch menu for the program.

10 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Mentioned this perk to my husband and he laughed. The only thing we carry on is valuables and medication. My husband wouldn't leave his lap top or medicines. I might consider leaving my  laptop but not my jewelry and cash... and its all in one carryon.

28 minutes ago, knon24 said:

From what I can tell, everybody that has reported back here about their experience with The Key had their lunch at Chops. Has anybody had their Key lunch at Jamie's or been offered that?  My May cruise says lunch at Chops or Jamie's. Curious about the lunch menu for the program.

Jamies was just added so I do not think the recess are back from it yet. I was planning to do Jamies but just realized on this cruise I have a Central Park cabin, so Ill do chops with the crowds.:classic_wacko:

9 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Jamies was just added so I do not think the recess are back from it yet. I was planning to do Jamies but just realized on this cruise I have a Central Park cabin, so Ill do chops with the crowds.:classic_wacko:

Yeah our May cruise is just a short 4 day cruise. We have reservations at Jamie's for lunch on day 2 because I'm obsessed with the Spicy Prawn Linguine. If I can get that on day 1 with The Key lunch.. I'd love to go to Hooked instead on day 2. I reserved both for now, just in case. Just waiting to hear some feedback from people that used The Key to eat at Jamie's instead of Chops. 

2 minutes ago, knon24 said:

Yeah our May cruise is just a short 4 day cruise. We have reservations at Jamie's for lunch on day 2 because I'm obsessed with the Spicy Prawn Linguine. If I can get that on day 1 with The Key lunch.. I'd love to go to Hooked instead on day 2. I reserved both for now, just in case. Just waiting to hear some feedback from people that used The Key to eat at Jamie's instead of Chops. 

Mine is on Harmony in May and just a  3 day. So I need Spicy Prawn linguine? I bought the key for my short and long cruise and if I feel its a waste , I will scrap it for my Symphony cruise. But we love the flowerier and Rock wall so I do not see that happening. But I will check out the crowds at both restaurants to see how it is.

I also saw a smaller Key Chops menu(no salads) and if thats the case, will head to Jamies.

I’ve been scouring the internet, especially these boards for info on the Key Program. Mostly I have been seeing people weigh the pros and cons but hardly anyone’s actual review of it. I decided to sign up for it for my April cruise. I’m most curious how it worked for you as far embarkation and debarkation. One person said they boarded the ship right after the people with suites and were able to go immediately to their cabin. Was this your experience? How about port days? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I also saw a smaller Key Chops menu(no salads) and if thats the case, will head to Jamies.

I will not be purchasing the Key (as I enjoy being disconnected from the world during cruises and am perfectly happy with free Diamond internet days, and I do not use the florider or rock wall), but I do purchase Chops lunch on embarkation day.  Where did you see a smaller Chops menu?  I also saw one comment a while back about eliminating the filet from the menu (a steakhouse lunch without steak).  I already purchased Chops lunch for the Symphony next week and for the Adventure in December and would be upset to find that the menu was different from when I booked.  I am also curious about how the Key’s first come, first serve policy will mesh with customers who made a time-specific reservation.  I can see embarkation day specialty lunch being restricted to the Key in the future, but for now I am holding two reservations as non-Key.

We  boarded the Oasis of the Seas on Sunday and are using the KEY. We purchased it for $19.99 per day each. It is just myself and my husband.  
 We arrived at the port about 9:45.  After the security check in we headed up the escalators to check in. We told the person that was funneling people to check in spots we had the KEY. They sent us down by the suite/pinnacle area where it was clearly marked the KEY. 
      Check in was quick and they gave us our cards with the KEY logo on them and also our internet passwords. 
        They then directed us to the pinnacle/diamond plus/ suite area. There was a KEY sign posted and they let us in to wait boarding. It’s the very nice lounge with drinks and snacks and comfy sofas. 
      At 10:30 they announced boarding was beginning. They boarded suites and pinnacles. They then boarded diamond plus folks. The Key was called next. 
   Once onboard we went to the theatre and dropped off our backpacks. The gentleman outside the theatre had a GIANT KEY in his hand so as to identify where you could check your stuff. 
   We walked around a bit and then headed to chops around 12 for lunch. We could have gone to the Italian restaurant but chose Chops as I am on a low carb-no sugar eating plan. Chops was nice. We showed them our key card and they seated us quickly. It was 11:45 and there wasn’t a wait. The menu was good! You picked one appetizer and one entree (fish, burger, steak) then you  can order to share macaroni and cheese, asparagus, potatoes. Bread came with the meal and also you could pick choco cake with ice cream or cheesecake.  No charge for anything. 

We got to our cabin at 1 and our backpacks were on the sofa (the ones we dropped off earlier)

Day 2 we received a large fruit plate from the key. ( we actually got two but we are diamond so maybe one was from that). 

Day 3 we had our first show Cats and we had reservations so they scanned our cards on the main level and directed us to the key/suite/pinnacle seating which is center area up the steps from the floor seating. (Not balcony). 

From here the keys Advantages aren’t of use to us. We don’t do any rock climbing, or flo riding  or zip lining but they gave us a schedule of private “key time” for these activities. 

Priority debarkation for ports isn’t anything we will be using so I can’t comment on those. I will update on Sunday after we get off as to the debarkation process. 

Hope this helps you decide. 

We have back to backs in October on Harmony and won’t be using the key. We don’t regret getting it but there aren’t enough advantages because of our “lazy” cruise lifestyle! ;-)

• Like 3

I posted this on the REALLY LONG thread of THE KEY but thought I would start a new one since it’s a review...

We  boarded the Oasis of the Seas on Sunday and are using the KEY. We purchased it for $19.99 per day each. It is just myself and my husband.  
 We arrived at the port about 9:45.  After the security check in we headed up the escalators to check in. We told the person that was funneling people to check in spots we had the KEY. They sent us down by the suite/pinnacle area where it was clearly marked the KEY. 
      Check in was quick and they gave us our cards with the KEY logo on them and also our internet passwords. 
        They then directed us to the pinnacle/diamond plus/ suite area. There was a KEY sign posted and they let us in to wait boarding. It’s the very nice lounge with drinks and snacks and comfy sofas. 
      At 10:30 they announced boarding was beginning. They boarded suites and pinnacles. They then boarded diamond plus folks. The Key was called next. 
   Once onboard we went to the theatre and dropped off our backpacks. The gentleman outside the theatre had a GIANT KEY in his hand so as to identify where you could check your stuff. 
   We walked around a bit and then headed to chops around 12 for lunch. We could have gone to the Italian restaurant but chose Chops as I am on a low carb-no sugar eating plan. Chops was nice. We showed them our key card and they seated us quickly. It was 11:45 and there wasn’t a wait. The menu was good! You picked one appetizer and one entree (fish, burger, steak) then you  can order to share macaroni and cheese, asparagus, potatoes. Bread came with the meal and also you could pick choco cake with ice cream or cheesecake.  No charge for anything. 

We got to our cabin at 1 and our backpacks were on the sofa (the ones we dropped off earlier)

Day 2 we received a large fruit plate from the key. ( we actually got two but we are diamond so maybe one was from that). 

Day 3 we had our first show Cats and we had reservations so they scanned our cards on the main level and directed us to the key/suite/pinnacle seating which is center area up the steps from the floor seating. (Not balcony). 

From here the keys Advantages aren’t of use to us. We don’t do any rock climbing, or flo riding  or zip lining but they gave us a schedule of private “key time” for these activities. 

Priority debarkation for ports isn’t anything we will be using so I can’t comment on those. I will update on Sunday after we get off as to the debarkation process. 

Hope this helps you decide. 

We have back to backs in October on Harmony and won’t be using the key. We don’t regret getting it but there aren’t enough advantages because of our “lazy” cruise lifestyle! 😉

Edited by bbahorik
Spell check

44 minutes ago, bbahorik said:

Was the menu marked "Key", or did it appear to be a general lunch menu?