Do you have to go through customs on British Isles cruise?

FSU Girl

I had a 2 pm flight out of LHR after we docked in Southhampton and had plenty of time. I used Princess's transfers. The flight was within Princess's guidelines for flights.

My trip was Norway and we did not go through customs when the ship docked. We just walked off.

Googled it and it looks like they will be leaving in March. Since they are visiting Ireland and France then I'm guessing they will have to go through customs. Would I be safer taking the 4:30 flight or will 2:30 still be okay? I just don't like that it's the last flight out so if there is any issues we could get stuck and we have to get home in time for an event the following day. 

We are doing that cruise in June and aren't flying home until the day after disembarkation, just in case of any delays or issues. If you have to fly home that day, I would go with the latest flight possible.  I had forgotten about the whole Brexit thing and the timing of that.  We could end up with customs when disembarking at SH.  

2 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

We are doing that cruise in June and aren't flying home until the day after disembarkation, just in case of any delays or issues. If you have to fly home that day, I would go with the latest flight possible.  I had forgotten about the whole Brexit thing and the timing of that.  We could end up with customs when disembarking at SH.  

If the boat arrives at 5am. How long would customs take do you think? I think in the US if it's really busy it can take an hour. If you do a cruise transfer so they have you get off in a different line than the rest of the people going through customs? I've never done a cruise transfer so I'm not sure if that would help or hurt us getting to the airport on time. I would rather stay another day, but my Fiance's daughter has a dance recital the following day that we cannot miss. 

1 hour ago, FSU Girl said:

The cruise leaves on May 13. England is leaving the EU? There is a 4:30 flight, should we do that one instead? 

I have a June cruised booked and my flight is at 2:05. I know people who made noon flights last year with out a problem. So even with customs, I think a 2:30 flight would be fine.

I had plenty of time last year at the airport. They got us off the ship at 7.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I have a June cruised booked and my flight is at 2:05. 

I had plenty of time last year at the airport. They got us off the ship at 7.

Did you use the ship transfer or a private transfer to get to the airport? 

2 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

Did you use the ship transfer or a private transfer to get to the airport? 

Last year (and am planning on this year) using ship's transfer. They have it broken down per terminal. So everyone on my bus was going to the same area. 

I am using Princess's air and it let me book the 2:05 flight.

Edited by Coral

1 minute ago, Coral said:

Last year (and am planning on this year) using ship's transfer. They have it broken down per terminal. So everyone on my bus was going to the same area. 

I am using Princess's air and it let me book the 2:05 flight.

So if we book air outside of Princess is there somewhere to tell them what flight we are doing? Right now I have no transfer selected, but could change to using the ship transfer. If I click that does it ask for that info? 

24 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

So if we book air outside of Princess is there somewhere to tell them what flight we are doing? Right now I have no transfer selected, but could change to using the ship transfer. If I click that does it ask for that info? 

You should put your independent flight information in your Cruise Personalizer under Travel Arrangements.  You can also put in a transfer request on the same page.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, capriccio said:

You should put your independent flight information in your Cruise Personalizer under Travel Arrangements.  You can also put in a transfer request on the same page.

Thanks!! So if my flight leaves at 2:30 would they leave the ship to get people there 3 hours before the flight or do they just leave as early as they can to get you to the airport? Also do they provide any info on the last night of where to go and what to do to find the transfer?

36 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

Thanks!! So if my flight leaves at 2:30 would they leave the ship to get people there 3 hours before the flight or do they just leave as early as they can to get you to the airport? Also do they provide any info on the last night of where to go and what to do to find the transfer?

I can tell you with a 2 pm flight last time, I was the first group called for those leaving for the airport.

Yes - there is information provided to disembark and bus information. Even when I got off the ship they asked what color which indicated which terminal and bus to get on. It was effortless. No worries.

I believe they provided tours (Stonehenge) for those leaving with flights after 4 or 4:30.

Edited by Coral

British Air has changed our flight from 2:00p to 12 noon now.  They say allow 2.5 hours from Southampton so if we 'walk off' I'm sure we'll make it in time to Heathrow- we're using the Princess transfer.  But, if everything goes haywire, there are later flights - our connecting flight in the US doesn't depart until 10:30pm eastern time. You just have to roll with the punches when you travel and always have a plan B.  All part of the 'journey'.

FSUGirl, also you might want to know that if you do the ship transfer you have to put your luggage out in the hallway the night before.  Then you either reclaim it in the port and take it to the bus yourself or they will have it already on the busses for you.  I've read SH reviews with both scenarios.  Otherwise if you do a private transfer (like Smith's for Airports) you would keep your luggage with you and carry it off yourself in the morning.  They would meet you at whatever time you specify.  

8 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

FSUGirl, also you might want to know that if you do the ship transfer you have to put your luggage out in the hallway the night before.  Then you either reclaim it in the port and take it to the bus yourself or they will have it already on the busses for you.  I've read SH reviews with both scenarios.  Otherwise if you do a private transfer (like Smith's for Airports) you would keep your luggage with you and carry it off yourself in the morning.  They would meet you at whatever time you specify.  

Ooh, thanks for reminding me (as well as FSUGirl).....we're using the Princess transfer so we'll have to put our luggage out the night before.  Didn't think of that.   Just as well.

Edited by Diver2014

8 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

A private transfer might be better. That way I know they will be there early. I like the idea of keeping our luggage with us and doing the express walk off in the morning. 

19 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

British Air has changed our flight from 2:00p to 12 noon now.  They say allow 2.5 hours from Southampton so if we 'walk off' I'm sure we'll make it in time to Heathrow- we're using the Princess transfer.  But, if everything goes haywire, there are later flights - our connecting flight in the US doesn't depart until 10:30pm eastern time. You just have to roll with the punches when you travel and always have a plan B.  All part of the 'journey'.

I am worried about them doing that, but if the ship arrives at 5am 12pm would still be doable I think. We will be doing a direct flight.

3 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

A private transfer might be better. That way I know they will be there early. I like the idea of keeping our luggage with us and doing the express walk off in the morning. 

I am worried about them doing that, but if the ship arrives at 5am 12pm would still be doable I think. We will be doing a direct flight.

I wish we had a direct flight.....we did for the past 23 years in Miami.  Now we have to go to Charlotte NC to get flights to Hilton Head Island from anywhere.  12p from Heathrow will be cutting it close, regardless.  (my DH is the FSUGuy)

4 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Diver2014, you mentioned that BA pushed your flight time back?  On what date is that?  I ask because we are also booked with them for our flights. 

We're leaving Heathrow back to Charlotte, NC on June 6, 2019.  I hope.   It'll cost us a bundle to board our dogs for an additional day.

12 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

I wish we had a direct flight.....we did for the past 23 years in Miami.  Now we have to go to Charlotte NC to get flights to Hilton Head Island from anywhere.  12p from Heathrow will be cutting it close, regardless.  (my DH is the FSUGuy)

Good man lol. Maybe consider doing a private car transfer instead of ship. Then you can do the express walk off first thing when the ship is cleared. I think it takes 2 hours to get to Heathrow? So if the ship clears at 7am you'd get there by 9am.