Do you have to go through customs on British Isles cruise?

FSU Girl

24 minutes ago, rockdoctor said:

I don’t remember any Customs when we took the trip but with Brexit, I wouldn’t take the chance. 

Could customs with Brexit really be that bad? If we did express walk off first thing in the morning I can't see it taking longer than an hour? I'd like to not book the last flight out, but I guess if it could potentially take a long time to get off the boat we should

57 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

Could customs with Brexit really be that bad? If we did express walk off first thing in the morning I can't see it taking longer than an hour? I'd like to not book the last flight out, but I guess if it could potentially take a long time to get off the boat we should

Nobody knows what the new arrangements will be post-brexit, there is a lot of speculation here in the UK about "worst case scenarios"  I would err on the side of caution and allow plenty of time to disembark.  

14 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

Nobody knows what the new arrangements will be post-brexit, there is a lot of speculation here in the UK about "worst case scenarios"  I would err on the side of caution and allow plenty of time to disembark.  

If the ship docks at 5am and clears for debarking at 7am and it takes three hours (ugh) for customs we would leave at 10am and get to the airport at 12pm. Is 2 1/2 hours not enough time for an international flight? I'm just worried about taking the last plane out and something happens and we have no way of getting home. 

22 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

If the ship docks at 5am and clears for debarking at 7am and it takes three hours (ugh) for customs we would leave at 10am and get to the airport at 12pm. Is 2 1/2 hours not enough time for an international flight? I'm just worried about taking the last plane out and something happens and we have no way of getting home. 

Did you do a google search for Heathrow check in times?

2 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Did you do a google search for Heathrow check in times?

Usually it's three hours for international, but 2 1/2 is only just under that. And that's with a worse case scenario of having a crazy long time to get off the ship. I'm trying to decide if its worth the stress of having the earlier flight and worrying about delays or having the stress of having the last flight out and issues with that lol. I guess pick the lesser of two evils, just not sure which one that is. 

7 hours ago, FSU Girl said:

The cruise leaves on May 13. England is leaving the EU? There is a 4:30 flight, should we do that one instead? 

No, the 2:30pm one should be just fine.  I've made a 12:15 and 12:45 flight out of LHR using cruise ship transfers from SoTon.  That was pre-Brexit but I still think you'll be just fine.  Traffic was supposedly "horrible" according to the bus driver (had to laugh at that - he has not seen CA traffic) and I still made it in under 90 mins.  At least in the past, once the ship docs, you are off VERY quickly.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
  • Like 1

As The UK and Ireland are not in the Schengen zone it would make sense for them to drop Le Havre and go straight to Southampton from Edinburgh if there are any issues with customs with the French. 

I did the British Isles cruise in June and didn't have to go through customs. Its up to the French if they want to be fussy but it would be their loss if they made a passport inspection necessary.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CCFC said:

As The UK and Ireland are not in the Schengen zone it would make sense for them to drop Le Havre and go straight to Southampton from Edinburgh if there are any issues with customs with the French. 

I did the British Isles cruise in June and didn't have to go through customs. Its up to the French if they want to be fussy but it would be their loss if they made a passport inspection necessary.

We are getting off in Southampton so we wouldn't have to go through customs to go on our excursion in France would we?

4 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

Wait we were talking about disembarking in Southampton, not Le Havre...?  There will be passengers disembarking in Le Havre also though. 

Sorry if that wasn't clear, yes we are getting off in Southampton, one day after stopping in Le Havre. 

33 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

No, the 2:30pm one should be just fine.  I've made a 12:15 and 12:45 flight out of LHR using cruise ship transfers from SoTon.  That was pre-Brexit but I still think you'll be just fine.  Traffic was supposedly "horrible" according to the bus driver (had to laugh at that - he has not seen CA traffic) and I still made it in under 90 mins.  At least in the past, once the ship docs, you are off VERY quickly.

Thanks! That's good to know, especially since some plans like to move up there times a bit. 

10 hours ago, FSU Girl said:

Since the British Isles cruise goes to France do you have to go through customs when it docks in Southampton? Would a 2:30pm flight be safe to make?

If you arrive from the USA (and it is never stated that you do, but likely)  you will go through Customs and Immigration at the airport as you arrive.  If you embark at Southampton and do a round trip cruise Princess will likely retain your passport for the duration until nearly last day.  Some British Isles cruises also have people starting their cruises in Le Havre or Dublin and starting their cruise in the middle of your cruise on the same ship.  Everyone had their passports taken last similar Princess Cruise we did.  I think this is so the authorities can look into peoples identities more closely prior to arriving at the next country.  If you need passport in a port the cruise line tells you and returns them but often they suggested we take Government Issued Photo ID e.g. a driving licence where a passport ashore was not a requirement.  If authorities ashore need to identify you it's cruise card plus this photo ID.  Prior to reaching Southampton the Princess Patter will arrive with a form for you to outline your disembarkation arrangements request.  You just got to fill in when you want to disembark, usually there are boxes to tick for each airport e.g. London Gatwick LGW or London Heathrow LHR with subdivisions of say noon to 2pm flights or 2pm or later flights.  Princess also do airport transfers and generally offer these on board too.  Some of these transfers include sightseeing tours e.g. Windor, Stonehenge etc. for people with late evening flights.  As you disembark at Southampton the luggage hall is very efficient and getting through customs and immigration there, usually nobody is visible and you all walk through.

Whether the United Kingdom is in or out of the EU will not affect US citizens as they will always be non-EU citizens as will the majority of nationals from all other parts of the world.

Regards John 

Edited by john watson

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

If you arrive from the USA (and it is never stated that you do, but likely)  you will go through Customs and Immigration at the airport as you arrive.  If you embark at Southampton and do a round trip cruise Princess will likely retain your passport for the duration until nearly last day.  Some British Isles cruises also have people starting their cruises in Le Havre or Dublin and starting their cruise in the middle of your cruise on the same ship.  Everyone had their passports taken last similar Princess Cruise we did.  I think this is so the authorities can look into peoples identities more closely prior to arriving at the next country.  If you need passport in a port the cruise line tells you and returns them but often they suggested we take Government Issued Photo ID e.g. a driving licence where a passport ashore was not a requirement.  If authorities ashore need to identify you it's cruise card plus this photo ID.  Prior to reaching Southampton the Princess Patter will arrive with a form for you to outline your disembarkation arrangements request.  You just got to fill in when you want to disembark, usually there are boxes to tick for each airport e.g. London Gatwick LGW or London Heathrow LHR with subdivisions of say noon to 2pm flights or 2pm or later flights.  Princess also do airport transfers and generally offer these on board too.  Some of these transfers include sightseeing tours e.g. Windor, Stonehenge etc. for people with late evening flights.  As you disembark at Southampton the luggage hall is very efficient and getting through customs and immigration there, usually nobody is visible and you all walk through.

Whether the United Kingdom is in or out of the EU will not affect US citizens as they will always be non-EU citizens as will the majority of nationals from all other parts of the world.

Regards John 

Princess takes the passports? I've done two cruises in Europe and have never had that happen before I always put it in my safe. Is this a new procedure? 

11 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

Princess takes the passports? I've done two cruises in Europe and have never had that happen before I always put it in my safe. Is this a new procedure? 

They took our passports for a Japan/China cruise and gave us photocopies for some ports.  We did a Southampton and France cruise recently and I am sure they took them for that cruise.  It is not a big deal you get them back penultimate day.  They put a sticker on the back cover with your name and cabin number on.  Steward delivers them in person to you at your cabin, they are always handed back to you personally in my experience. I had to sign to say he gave it to me. It is a distinct possibility and nothing to worry about. I think it is dependent on the itinerary and how the different countries set their regulations.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

1 minute ago, john watson said:

They took our passports for a Japan/China cruise and gave us photocopies for some ports.  We did a Southampton and France cruise recently and I am sure they took them for that cruise.  It is not a big deal you get them back penultimate day.  They put a sticker on the back cover with your name and cabin number on.  Steward delivers them in person to you at your cabin, they are always handed back to you personally in my experience. It is a distinct possibility and nothing to worry about. I think it is dependent on the itinerary and how the different countries set their regulations.

Regards John

ok, at least it sounds organized. It makes me nervous to have such an important document out of my position, but I wouldn't really have much of a choice so I'll try not to stress lol. 

The Princess transfer back to the airports are pretty good I think.  They have a large number of coaches leaving with top priority.  As I said previously they do London Gatwick, London Heathrow, split into flight times and also different terminals at Heathrow.  Usually Transatlantic British Airways is Terminal 5 and often US carriers Terminal 4.  Everyone knows their flight arrangements and terminal you just got to get the appropriate coach. The alternative is self-disembarkation carrying your own luggage, but then you must have a pre-booked private taxi of some sort booked. A random taxi off the rank to London is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Regards John

1 hour ago, john watson said:

The Princess transfer back to the airports are pretty good I think.  They have a large number of coaches leaving with top priority.  As I said previously they do London Gatwick, London Heathrow, split into flight times and also different terminals at Heathrow.  Usually Transatlantic British Airways is Terminal 5 and often US carriers Terminal 4.  Everyone knows their flight arrangements and terminal you just got to get the appropriate coach. The alternative is self-disembarkation carrying your own luggage, but then you must have a pre-booked private taxi of some sort booked. A random taxi off the rank to London is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Regards John

For checking into the flight does princess help with that or we just use the internet on the ship? I think if the airline doesn’t move our flight time around the ship transfer would work well

2 hours ago, john watson said:

The Princess transfer back to the airports are pretty good I think.  They have a large number of coaches leaving with top priority.  As I said previously they do London Gatwick, London Heathrow, split into flight times and also different terminals at Heathrow.  Usually Transatlantic British Airways is Terminal 5 and often US carriers Terminal 4. 

I agree. It went quickly and smooth.

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

FSUGirl - have you checked EZ Air prices? Sometimes there is a pretty good discount.

No I haven’t checked that yet. We’re looking to book first class to splurge for our honeymoon. Can you book that through EZ Air?

7 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

No I haven’t checked that yet. We’re looking to book first class to splurge for our honeymoon. Can you book that through EZ Air?

I was able to book Business class and saved several thousand with Princess Air. It costs me $2700 and direct it was $8000 through United.

I have expensive air where I live. I booked a trip with Business Air for $2400 this summer. 

Sometimes First class is quite a bit more than Business Air - I would aim for Business Air. Some airlines just have Business air.

You obviously changed your plans again :). You can fly in early or stay late with EZ Air. Just make sure you look at flight words. They use "arrive on" when going I believe.

Edited by Coral

32 minutes ago, FSU Girl said:

Yes, that's all we ever book:  business class on Trans-Atlantic flights and first class on domestic. 

Sometimes the price is good, sometimes it's not any better than what you can get anywhere else. 

18 hours ago, Coral said:

I was able to book Business class and saved several thousand with Princess Air. It costs me $2700 and direct it was $8000 through United.

I have expensive air where I live. I booked a trip with Business Air for $2400 this summer. 

Sometimes First class is quite a bit more than Business Air - I would aim for Business Air. Some airlines just have Business air.

You obviously changed your plans again :). You can fly in early or stay late with EZ Air. Just make sure you look at flight words. They use "arrive on" when going I believe.

Yes we ended up going back to this cruise 🙂 I hadn't cancelled it and the land trip was getting complicated and really expensive. I'm excited to go to Scotland. We compared the prices between British Airways direct and Princess and the price came out cheaper direct with British Airways so we are booking that. Flights are nonrefundable so this trip is now locked in 🙂