Booked as 14 day rather than two 7 days

pthjudy

We booked the Regal in January to the Caribbean as a 14 day to maximize our OBC. Strangely, at least to me, interiors are basically gone, but when I check the 2 individual cruises, there are many available cabins. Why would Princess deny me certain cabins when they are evidently available? (I booked a guarantee.) Also, I am hoping for an upsell opportunity. When should I be looking for this offering for January?

As to upsells, they depend on when Princess does the cabin management for your cruise. Could be tomorrow, or it could be a few days before sailing or they could never do any upsells or those they need to free up are not ones you have.

We are doing the 14 day on the Royal next week (similarly marketed as 2 - 7 days or 1 - 14 day.  We are in an inside guarantee.  About 6 weeks prior to sail date they sent an upsell offer to a balcony, but we were not interested.  

Don

We have been on several cruises booked as 14 day that were really 2 cruises combined.  Princess holds out cabins designated for the 7 day and others for the 14 day cruises.  This is where a good TA comes in handy.  Upsells occur mostly when they are short cabins in a particular class and need to shuffle pax around.  So far we have declined the upsells since they did not make economic sense to us.  We have never booked a guarantee.   

In our experience so far doing a turn around in a US port, we have had to depart the ship, go through immigration and then reboard the ship when the first pax board.  We collected in a lounge and a ship officer took us off the ship last to immigration on the shore.  

When cabins were only available when booked as a longer cruise my TA contacted Princess to get us a cabin booked as a B2B.

Our upsells are generally offered about 6 weeks prior to sailing.  But there are so many variables to have a standard time before a cruise.

Edited by Astro Flyer

4 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

We are doing the 14 day on the Royal next week (similarly marketed as 2 - 7 days or 1 - 14 day.  We are in an inside guarantee.  About 6 weeks prior to sail date they sent an upsell offer to a balcony, but we were not interested.  

Don

Do you remember what the upsell offer to balcony was?

50 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

As to the upsell, with you booking 14 days, I would think they are more likely to be doing the cabin allocation for each 7 day cruise and they would not include you in the process.

I am not too sure about that - we were booked on a 20 day also available as 2  10 day cruise and got an upsell offer from a mini to a full suite

On our last cruise this year on the Regal, we were on two 7 day b2b out of Fort Lauderdale.  At the turnaround, we reported to the theatre with our cruise cards and our passports.  They scan you off the ship as you enter the theatre and then when the Immigration Officers come aboard, you leave the theatre and they check your passport and then scan you back on the ship for the second cruise.  Very easy and you are ready to continue your cruise.  Just remember that nothing will happen till all passengers that have remained on board report to the theatre.  They made several announcements trying to get everyone there.  You should receive a letter on the last night of the first cruise explaining the complete turnaround procedure for your cruise.

7 hours ago, pthjudy said:

Do you remember what the upsell offer to balcony was?

Judy,

Don't recall the precise amount, but it was something around $400 Canadian per person - which would equate to about $300US per person for the upsell.  It wasn't worth it to us, but for some, it might be.

Don

When a segment can be booked in more than one way, cabins are allocated to each possible way of booking. Cabins allocated to one way of booking will be shown as unavailable all the other ways. I was on one cruise where one segment could be booked four different ways which really limited the number of cabins shown available for each way of booking.

A good TA can convince the proper Princess department to reallocate some cabins to a different way of booking.

With the OP's 14 day booking, the OP will be assigned the same cabin for both segments,

7 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

Judy,

Don't recall the precise amount, but it was something around $400 Canadian per person - which would equate to about $300US per person for the upsell.  It wasn't worth it to us, but for some, it might be.

Don

Definitely not worth it. Now the difference is $400 pp, so I wouldn’t even look at it until it was at least half of that. Sometimes the obstructed balcony is offered at a very good price. 

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Please tell me an actual scenario where this happened. 

Mine is one of the best and has not been able to accomplish that.

It has been several years, but my TA was successful at doing this one time for me.